Typical after lost board. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Typical after lost board.

Everytime a team plays bad and losses doesn't mean one coach completely outcoached the other. The reality is that this was the most important game of the year for Yukon. Last game against us at their place and they don't have the BET or NCAA to look forward to. They were pumped up and they executed really well. Give them credit. Everyone was talking about their guards afterwards but I knew they had 2 good guards. I was really suprised CJ and XMas didn't dominate down low with their bad front court. I still can't believe they out rebounded us. To be honest the effort level and what the two teams were playing for kind of reminded me of the 1992 Big East final of Syracuse vs Georgetown. Syracuse had amazing effort and played hard because it was their title game while Georgetown was thinking about the NCAA tourney.
I think you've nailed the "why we lost" scenario. Not enough diving on the floor, muscling rebounds, hustle, energy, etc. Three or four made threes would have helped. Can't lay it on JB.

Part of the team problem is the personnel makeup. South, CJ and Grant are all small forwards. CJ is probably about 6-6 maybe 6-7. He can post up I agree but he's not going to post up bigger stronger kids.

This team would have been better off keeping Coleman on the floor and letting him play the PF position - take some defensive lumps and let him play through mistakes. Injury aside should have rolled the dice with him. He's the only player with a true back to the basket low block game.

Yep - too many redundant forwards, not enough time devoted to letting Christmas and Coleman settle in at their natural positions.

Brandon going 2-15 is not a coaching issue and most of them weren't bad shots...
There was one time in the 2nd half when BT was going down court and I just knew he was going to take a shot as he crossed half court. It was on a turnover but not a full break and sure enough he got to the arc and shot. Was it a bad shot, maybe not. Taking one before they set up the D but before there is ANY chance of the rebound. I didn't think it was advised but then the whole offense was struggling so maybe it wasn't so bad. But then doesn't this just sound like "Oh What, nothing is working so I'll shoot a 3."

There was one time in the 2nd half when BT was going down court and I just knew he was going to take a shot as he crossed half court. It was on a turnover but not a full break and sure enough he got to the arc and shot. Was it a bad shot, maybe not. Taking one before they set up the D but before there is ANY chance of the rebound. I didn't think it was advised but then the whole offense was struggling so maybe it wasn't so bad. But then doesn't this just sound like "Oh What, nothing is working so I'll shoot a 3."

Was that the shot that preceded James three from 50 feet out? That sequence of bad shots really seemed to turn the tide in the wrong way.

BT takes a bad three with 30 seconds on the shot clock, James does likewise - we went from up 40-39 (I think) to down in a hurry and kept chucking threes. The seniors have to be smarter than that - as announcers always say, those are shots you can get every time with under 5 on the shot clock so why just throw them up like that (especially if you're a sub-30% three point shooter).

Was that the shot that preceded James three from 50 feet out? That sequence of bad shots really seemed to turn the tide in the wrong way.

BT takes a bad three with 30 seconds on the shot clock, James does likewise - we went from up 40-39 (I think) to down in a hurry and kept chucking threes. The seniors have to be smarter than that - as announcers always say, those are shots you can get every time with under 5 on the shot clock so why just throw them up like that (especially if you're a sub-30% three point shooter).
Before, after, I" not sure which but that is the time frame. It may have been the point when they had tied the score, got a turnover and had a chance to pull ahead. The quick shot just seem to hurt when they had a chance to gain some moe. Then again, if it swishes, everybody is saying what a fanstastic shot and may have been the turning point in the game.

Before, after, I" not sure which but that is the time frame. It may have been the point when they had tied the score, got a turnover and had a chance to pull ahead. The quick shot just seem to hurt when they had a chance to gain some moe. Then again, if it swishes, everybody is saying what a fanstastic shot and may have been the turning point in the game.

We were up 40-39 when he shot that shot.

Yep - too many redundant forwards, not enough time devoted to letting Christmas and Coleman settle in at their natural positions.

X-mas, Coleman & Baye have done nothing in BE play to support the minutes they have gotten. Development? Have you seen any improvement in Rak or Baye since last year? JG, CJ & JS should anchor the front court. The simple fact that our Xmas can not distinguish himself as the clear winner of the 5 spot is scary as this has the potential to be an issue for the next several years if Coleman does not vastly improve. Christmas' natural position is a 4. He plays the 5 in the zone only because he is taller. Give JG 30 minutes a game at the 5 spot and I bet he produces 10 pts and 8 boards without hacking people like are big men are prone to do.

we should go back to the san diego st offensive game plan. No 3's allowed. Best our offense looked all year. Other then James we don't have any shooters, so don't waste possessions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom