Tyrone Wheatley | Syracusefan.com

Tyrone Wheatley

I sure hope we can keep him on the staff in some way. Not sure if he is OC material or not but I would hate to lose a great coach.
His kids is going to be a stud coming out in 2015.

Personally JHJ I like the idea. He's apparently a good recruiter and we began this year with question marks at RB and now have 2 proven quality RB's that Wheat developed. I'm sure the argument we'll hear against it is that we need an experienced OC. Blah blah blah. Who's to say that Wheat (or David Walker) aren't then next Hacket. Who knows. What I do know is we won't get an NFL OC to come here. I would rather have a young up and comer than some experienced retread. The new OC needs to be the face of the offense.

Personally JHJ I like the idea. He's apparently a good recruiter and we began this year with question marks at RB and now have 2 proven quality RB's that Wheat developed. I'm sure the argument we'll hear against it is that we need an experienced OC. Blah blah blah. Who's to say that Wheat (or David Walker) aren't then next Hacket. Who knows. What I do know is we won't get an NFL OC to come here. I would rather have a young up and comer than some experienced retread. The new OC needs to be the face of the offense.

Since our backs are really against the wall with this hire (we can not bring in a pass happy OC since we have no QB/WR) Wheatley is the move. He's done a great job with our running backs and all are on NFL radars in large part due to him. Recruits will want to play for him since he was a good NFL running back and their parents will remember him from that.

I like him as the face of our offense.

We need an identity on offense he will give us one. THere might be better offensive coordinators out there but its irrelevant for us we have no QB or wideouts.

(It was Napoleon Kaufman who retired early to become a priest right not Wheatley?)

Since our backs are really against the wall with this hire (we can not bring in a pass happy OC since we have no QB/WR) Wheatley is the move. He's done a great job with our running backs and all are on NFL radars in large part due to him. Recruits will want to play for him since he was a good NFL running back and their parents will remember him from that.

We need an identity on offense he will give us one. THere might be better offensive coordinators out there but its irrelevant for us we have no QB or wideouts.

(It was Napoleon Kaufman who retired early to become a priest right not Wheatley?)

I like what you state about our running game but I respectfully disagree regarding the passing game. We have a few receivers that are ready to step up. We have Loeb and Hunt who may not be the best, but may be adequate with decent receivers and a very solid running game. I do agree that we do not need a pass happy OC, I prefer a balanced approach that is flexible to the circumstances, that is, if the running game is successful, we can ease back on passing and if the passing attack is succeeding, no need to run, run, run, punt.

With Allen and Wilson coming in, we are in a pretty good position to maintain is not improve on offense.

I can live with Wheatly as OC if SS believes he is ready.

I liked Hackett and I thought he was a very good hard working OC but one of the things I had as an issue was his feel for the play calls and flow of the game. I firmly believe it got better as he got more and more experience but he wasn't perfect by any means either. Love his enthusiasm as well and his potential is high because of his thirst for knowledge but I just have this feeling his feel for the flow of the game was and is something he needs to improve on.

I'm hoping the next OC will be better.

I liked Hackett and I thought he was a very good hard working OC but one of the things I had as an issue was his feel for the play calls and flow of the game.

I agree and I know Hackett comes from a 'football family' but found no bio info on him regarding his experience actually playing football in HS or college.

I think that's almost a prerequisite for having a feel for the complexity and intangibles during the flow of a game.
If someone knows of his football playing experience please write it up here.

Wheatley sounds like someone who wants to learn and move up based on his internships in the NFL and he did have a 1 year gig as an HS head coach. His playing experience is prolific so instincts and feel for the game is not an issue.

Per wiki:

Coaching

Unable to adequately rehabilitate his hamstring, Wheatley retired from the NFL and returned to Ann Arbor, Michigan. At the University of Michigan, in 2005, he volunteered as a track coach while finishing his Bachelor's degree in sport management.[101] In November 2006, Wheatley was hired at his alma mater, Robichaud High School, as the track coach.[101] After taking Robichaud to their first conference title he was also hired as the football coach. To prepare for his coaching duties he partook in Jon Gruden's NFL minority coaching internship by working with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a NFL Minority coaching fellow during the 2006 training camp.[103][104] As football coach in 2007, Wheatley started with a 6–1 record before facing the team's rival, the undefeated Inkster High School. Despite losing on the field to Inkster,[105] the team was credited with a forfeit victory and compiled an 8–1 regular season record.[106] The team achieved its first berth in 13 years in the MHSAA Class B playoffs, one year after going 0–9.[107] The team won its first round playoff match against Dearborn Heights Annapolis High School and lost its second to Milan High School to finish with a 9–2 record.[108] The team last won the MHSAA title in 1990 during Wheatley's senior season with a 12–1 record. During Wheatley's absence the team was a state semifinalist in 1991 with a 10–2 record and made a playoff appearance in 1994.[9] In addition to coaching, Wheatley has worked as an athletic trainer to about 30 clients.[101]

In 2008, he joined John Fontes' coaching staff as an assistant coach for Team Michigan in the All American Football League. He was to serve as the running backs coach for the team in the league that planned to begin play in April 2008.[109] However, the league never materialized. Wheatley interned as an NFL Minority coaching fellow with the Pittsburgh Steelers during the summer of 2008 training camp.[110] He also served at the Rising Stars Football Camp as an assistant instructor.[111] In late August 2008, he became the assistant coach at Ohio Northern University, with responsibility for the team's running backs.[103] After end of Wheatley's coaching internship at the conclusion of the season, he was hired by Ron English as a running backs coach at Eastern Michigan University for the 2009 season.[112][113] In February 2010, he was hired to replace Roger Harriott on Doug Marrone's staff at Syracuse University.[111][114]
He is currently the Running Back's Coach at Syracuse University.

This is also impressive about TW -- per wiki:

Early life

Wheatley was born in Inkster, Michigan. Inkster is located in Metropolitan Detroit, east of both Ann Arbor and University of Michigan. Wheatley's father (also named Tyrone)[1] suffered a mortal gunshot wound to the head in 1974 when Wheatley was two years old.[2] Wheatley's stepfather died of a heart attack when he was 13, leaving behind Wheatley, his sister, and half-brother, two-year-old Leslie Mongo.[1] Shortly afterward, Wheatley's mother, Patricia,[2] was laid off and became an alcoholic. With the effective loss of his two parents, Wheatley and his sister were forced to move in with an aunt, where he lived through the rest of his childhood.[1] Due to family difficulties, Wheatley acts as the guardian of two cousins and his half brother.[1][2] Mongo was ten years younger than Wheatley,[2] and graduated from high school in New Jersey in 2004—thirteen years after Wheatley had graduated from high school.[3]

Wheatley was involved in competitive athletics from an early age: In his youth, he ran competitively with the Penn Park track team, where, as an eight-year-old, he stood out for his discipline and promptness.[4] Because of his family trouble, he assumed a family leadership role at a relatively young age. Wheatley made it clear to his brothers and sisters that when chaos came to their lives, they should to turn to him because he would be there and he would never fall.[1] When he was in high school, he would take his younger siblings to basketball games, mapping out emergency plans for shooting outbreaks or brawls.[2] Wheatley's guardianship continued throughout his career at the University of Michigan and while he was a professional athlete. While playing in the NFL, he realized that leaving Mongo—the youngest of his siblings—in Inkster and merely providing financial support was not a solution because Mongo was still exposed to gang shootings. As Mongo's guardian, Wheatley moved Mongo to New Jersey for school. Mongo later earned outstanding freshman athlete honors during the Bergen County, New Jersey outdoor track championships while living with Wheatley, who was playing for the Giants at the time.[2] In 2004, with his graduation from high school imminent, Mongo signed a letter of intent with Utah State as a defensive back.[3]

We have no QB's or Wideouts?!

What are you talking about?

We have no QB's or Wideouts?!

What are you talking about?

I slighted West.

But regardless I think Sales and Lemon were so good that any complementary recievers will look ok behind them. How they play as the main guys is unknown. We'll see. I am not terrified by the wideouts but the position is unproven right now (since Sales and Lemon were awesome and could play in the NFL.)

I got no clue who I want at QB. I am not sure if Loeb is the answer and we aren't better off getting a young guy PT.

Those positions are big question marks. I think we'll be OK but noone knows wha they'll look like.

I slighted West.

But regardless I think Sales and Lemon were so good that any complementary recievers will look ok behind them. How they play as the main guys is unknown. We'll see. I am not terrified by the wideouts but the position is unproven right now (since Sales and Lemon were awesome and could play in the NFL.)

I got no clue who I want at QB. I am not sure if Loeb is the answer and we aren't better off getting a young guy PT.

Those positions are big question marks. I think we'll be OK but noone knows wha they'll look like.
There is a decent chance that next year's WR corp is better than this years.

West, Foster, Fundeburke, Kobena, Flemming,Cornelius, Lewis, Clarke and Hale. Bigger question marks will be replacements at LG, LT and QB.

I slighted West.

Well, Quinta Funderburk proved to be a dynamic threat this year despite sitting out, so there's that.

And how dare you discount Charley Loeb.

I sure hope we can keep him on the staff in some way. Not sure if he is OC material or not but I would hate to lose a great coach.
Since SS and TW sons played football together at F-M, I wonder if they're good friends. If SS thinks TW is up to the task, I'd love to see him take on the OC position.

Since SS and TW sons played football together at F-M, I wonder if they're good friends. If SS thinks TW is up to the task, I'd love to see him take on the OC position.
From a quote I saw from his radio interview it sounds like Wheatley and Moore will be in support roles. I could see an asst recruiting coordinator spot. If he stays. Who knows at this point anything is possible.

There is a decent chance that next year's WR corp is better than this years.

West, Foster, Fundeburke, Kobena, Flemming,Cornelius, Lewis, Clarke and Hale. Bigger question marks will be replacements at LG, LT and QB.

I loved watching Lemon, and at times Sales, but our WRs next year will be better than this year's WRs.

We are stupid deep.

I loved watching Lemon, and at times Sales, but our WRs next year will be better than this year's WRs.

We are stupid deep.

Things are looking very good on that front. Upgrade on the raw material at WR, RB, TE, and QB. The question is will kids emerge as better players.

Things are looking very good on that front. Upgrade on the raw material at WR, RB, TE, and QB. The question is will kids emerge as better players.
Agreed with the exception of QB as i think it will be hard to upgrade that position next year. Still with all of the RB coming back and adding Morris and Mcfarland to the mix i believe we are as deep as we have been in years. TE is an upgrade for sure if the big guy comes back strong, I believe that the Funder and West along with Flemming, Foster, Hale, and Chris , and Kobena are really strong. The key to O is going to be Tackle and QB. If we can fill those two spots we are going to be in great shape

I can't wait for the wr duo of lewis & clark, I know they will find the endzone!
I just finished re-reading Stephen Ambrose's book "Undaunted Courage".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom