Tyus Battle returning | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle returning

He asks for names from last ten years then dislikes getting plenty of names .Think I gave him two #13 picks but perhaps should have extended to #14 since that is lthe "lottery". Malachi can handle ball well enough and also defend . For those who dont know, there is a trend towards small ball and 'wings' are in.. Could have expanded list to include some small forwards just based on that

Let me use Mikail Bridges to drive home the point. U

Malachi is 6'6" and has put on weight, Sacramento was looking at him as small forward after acquiring him given their team and trend towards teams going small. You take a player like Mikail Bridges who is 6' 7" and frailer. He was not close to ready even after helping Villy to 16" chip, he stayed and continued to work and develop on his game and now is not expected to drop pass Knicks at 9. He'll not only get a much better deal in top ten then in twenties but he'll stick in NBA whereas Malachi is questionable. If you come out as a frosh, you better have the talent to be at least in the lottery if not in top ten otherwise best to stay until you are prepared as time goes by quickly. H We can ponder all we want but he would have improved his game and his draft standing instead he decide to grab the quick cash imo and that did not benefit him beyond the shortest timeframe imaginable

You really think Steph Curry going 7th in 2009 is relevant to Malachi Richardson’s situation? Seriously?

Practically half the guys you named were PG’s!

And no, Malachi is not a ballhandler. Not at Syracuse even in a year where we had no PG, and has done none of it in the NBA so far. He’s a wing that plays off the ball basically 100% of the time and you’re in here naming Curry, Westbrook, Lillard...guys who run the show for their teams and play with the ball in their hands.

I agree with the point about being more prepared to play in the league. But based on the recent evidence, not sure his draft stock would’ve improved much if at all.

Last edited:
No and and that is why I broke it down for you. 20 sgs and may big names in top ten who did not come out frosh year . I threw in pgs because they were guards, could have easily thrown in sf's which is more applicable given that is where he may be used but Im glad that you finally agreed at least that he would have improved. Hint: There is a correlation between improvement and raising your stock. Bridges is a prime example. Smart kid

Haha it's just funny to me because there are thousands of basketball players and you compared his moves to the greatest player of all time
Clear distinction between basketball moves and body movement . Guess " not comparing games " was not explanatory enough for some .

"Hold the laughs because not comparing games but his body movement on the court is somewhat reminiscent of MJ"

No and and that is why I broke it down for you. 20 sgs and may big names in top ten who did not come out frosh year . I threw in pgs because they were guards, could have easily thrown in sf's which is more applicable given that is where he may be used but Im glad that you finally agreed at least that he would have improved. Hint: There is a correlation between improvement and raising your stock. Bridges is a prime example. Smart kid

I posted the names and years. You added a bunch of different names...many of whom are not 2 guards that play exclusively off the ball like Malachi.

Not sure how strong the correlation is between improvement and raising stock. Most of the guys getting drafted high in recent years are freshmen.

Last edited:
Exactly. He wasnt getting drafted high so why come out so early.. You return, improved n raise your stock with additional seasoning. Going from #22 to lottery was not a reach. Mistake made by many

Exactly. He wasnt getting drafted high so why come out so early.. You return, improved n raise your stock with additional seasoning. Going from #22 to lottery was not a reach. Mistake made by many

In 2017 all but two lotto picks were freshman or foreign players. And they were at the end of the lottery.

In 2016 there was five, one of whom was Buddy Hield, the guy who got just about every college honor you could and...went sixth.

So no I wouldn’t count on the lottery if you stay in school longer. That’s not how it works.

In 2017 all but two lotto picks were freshman or foreign players. And they were at the end of the lottery.

In 2016 there was five, one of whom was Buddy Hield, the guy who got just about every college honor you could and...went sixth.

So no I wouldn’t count on the lottery if you stay in school longer. That’s not how it works.
Working for Bridges who was a lesser player than Malachi in frosh year. Now he's top ten. Players n advisers gotta know their place in draft, know your weaknesses and timelines, smart that Battle did not come out n become a late first rder at best to grab some quick but lesser cash. . We shall see how it goes with him this year n beyond.

Such an awesome thread in terms of the original content... And now...
Not about being right but discussing what is known. Inconvenient truths are never pleasant. Actually started with complimenting Battle on making a smart decision but now understand dumb sss was too strong on Malachi decision to declare early. Hope Richardson gets the opportunity to stick with Raptors as he has enough of a skillset to be a decent wing. NBA youngsters who are not fully prepared really dont get that much practice time in once the pro season begins but at least they have the G league to fall back on for further development and that is being used more extensively as a incubator these days. Ill leave you now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom