Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jealous hate I have growing for Nova is getting stronger. Jay Wright was personally credited by the former player dev coach for the Sixers as inspiring a free flowing modern offense that they have used this year to much success. You can't buy better publicity than that for recruits. Add that to them getting 5 stars (Quinerly) who should not be eligible, winning two national championships, and now returning first rounders so as to see them win another 30+ next year. In contrast, lets look at all the negative attacks Syracuse has seen on our offense and zone by the media during the tourney, the Bazley situation, Tyus, losing recruits to non-P5's/Duke at the 11th hour, and its quite a strong jealously and disdain I am feeling. I am conscious to the idea that negative thinking begets negative reality, however, we have work to do to get to their level. No question. They are certainly the darlings of hoops these days.

They had Jay Wright interviewed remotely one day at the Combine. Adrian and the NBA exec guy said Nova players are really coveted now even if they would only be role players. They asked him about that. Wright said they try to develop every skill set in every player. He said in recruiting he tells the players that they will have to be good at passing, shooting, rebounding, and dribbling while at Nova, regardless of position. It was pretty cool. He also said it’s a team first mentality which goes without saying.

SU’s problem is that we keep losing players to the NBA who are boarderline first-round picks. None of them are ready to make an impact at that level, shine and serve as a credit to SU.

We’re producing a lot of G League talent.
Syracuse recruits tweeners. It's the way it is. Being a good-to-excellent NBA player is hard. SU players generally have the length, but the abilities are lacking in one or more areas. Some guys develop past the tweener stage, but the majority don't.

Personally, I think Tyus is at his ceiling. Another year in school isn't going to change him much. Good luck to him.

He should go - I don't think staying bounces him up to a different draft status. Unless he'd prefer possible memories (possible) of another NCAA run over $.
That’s absurd. Look at the mock drafts for next year. He’d be chosen over a lot of those 2 guards as long as his efficiency improves, which it should.

Last edited:
Syracuse recruits tweeners. It's the way it is. Being a good-to-excellent NBA player is hard. SU players generally have the length, but the abilities are lacking in one or more areas. Some guys develop past the tweener stage, but the majority don't.

Personally, I think Tyus is at his ceiling. Another year in school isn't going to change him much. Good luck to him.
I mean we’ve got a few good b-ball players out of here recently

He and those providing advice probably realize that. It’s time to start making money, whether it’s the G League or overseas.

How many undergrads have declared for draft and already signed with agent? Is that out there somewhere?

Battle mentioned as one of the players that "looked like they should go back to school" here:

What We Saw and Heard at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine
Sounds like the consensus opinion from scouts is that Tyus should return, but he seems to be going in the other direction, which is sometimes what happens when you test the waters.

Also, despite his good performance at the combine, scouts think DiVincenzo will return! Jesus, the rich just get richer. If Tyus goes pro and Dante returns, I’m going to throw up.

Last edited:
Sounds like the consensus opinion from scouts is that Tyus should return, but he seems to be going in the other direction, which is sometimes what happens when you test the waters.

Also, despite his good performance at the combine, scouts think DiVincenzo will return! Jesus, the rich just get richer. If Tyus goes pro and Donte returns, I’m going to throw up.

I haven’t read a single scouts opinion.

That’s absurd. Look at the mock drafts for next year. He’d be chosen over a lot of those 2 guards as long as his efficiency inproves, which it should.

I don't really agree with this as far as the projected 1st rounders go. It's possible some of the high school guys flop and drop out of the discussion, but at least at the moment, I think Battle would be a projected 2nd rounder in the 2019 draft pool as well.

The jealous hate I have growing for Nova is getting stronger. Jay Wright was personally credited by the former player dev coach for the Sixers as inspiring a free flowing modern offense that they have used this year to much success. You can't buy better publicity than that for recruits. Add that to them getting 5 stars (Quinerly) who should not be eligible, winning two national championships, and now returning first rounders so as to see them win another 30+ next year. In contrast, lets look at all the negative attacks Syracuse has seen on our offense and zone by the media during the tourney, the Bazley situation, Tyus, losing recruits to non-P5's/Duke at the 11th hour, and its quite a strong jealously and disdain I am feeling. I am conscious to the idea that negative thinking begets negative reality, however, we have work to do to get to their level. No question. They are certainly the darlings of hoops these days.
The narrative on Cuse seemed to have turned around with the Bazley and Carey signings and the surprise run to the Sweet 16. Now it appears to be going in the other direction again. Ugh. Perception matters. We must sign a solid recruiting class for 2019 and have a season where we’re consistently in the top 25. And hopefully we have the shooters and horses to have a more wide open offense this year. I want to see a return to the 2009-12 elite offensive teams.

I think he needs to come back to reset- re establish his persona back to a more positive level

would you have said that about Mike Gbinije his second year. Tyus can elevate his gave by improving his assists numbers immediately if he chooses to. He had a lot of open people around many times he drove basket and didn’t dish. Plus each year you become more comfortable, confident and wiser. Ask Frank.

I believe he would go 1st round next year

If/when Tyus develops to the point of making and NBA roister it will be because of hard work he has shown in the G-League and earned the opportunity. That being said, it could be argued that a mid 2nd round player may be better off going unpicked so he can choose his opportunity as a free agent. If you buy into this then one more year at SU gives him the opportunity to show what he can do as a team leader with a worst case scenario of falling into free agent land. (I know I know injury is worse case but if he's not on a guaranteed contract he still could get injured). Not every body hates college and is in a hurry to start earning money as a professional anything.

I haven’t read a single scouts opinion.

So Adrian and the NBA guy on the panel at the Combine. You think they were just making stuff up? Just blabbing their opinions without any feedback first from scouts/coaches/GMs?

I think he needs to come back to reset- re establish his persona back to a more positive level

would you have said that about Mike Gbinije his second year. Tyus can elevate his gave by improving his assists numbers immediately if he chooses to. He had a lot of open people around many times he drove basket and didn’t dish. Plus each year you become more comfortable, confident and wiser. Ask Frank.

I believe he would go 1st round next year
Mike G isn't playing in the NBA either and he was in college for five years. I'm sure Tyus would have a good-to-great year for Syracuse if he came back ... but I don't think it will improve his ability to play basketball in the NBA. It's a subtle distinction, but there is a dividing line between starting (or even rotational) NBA players and the rest. Obviously, there are some exceptions, but for better or worse, I think Tyus is at his talent ceiling and that is probably a borderline 1st to mid-2nd round pick. Doesn't make him a bad guy or a bad college player.

I mean we’ve got a few good b-ball players out of here recently
You have to define "good" and "recently".

It seems like a significant number of posters who equate good with being an NBA all-star and that is the only reason to leave college early.

A "tweeting head" said the sense is that he's already reached his ceiling. I don't know where they got that but if that's the message he's getting, there isn't much incentive for him to return (unless he just wants to be part of SU basketball a little longer).

But keep in mind draft position, and associated wage scale, is not absolute. It is relative. Battle could be the same player in next year's draft and be selected significantly higher based on the overall quality of the eligible draftees. It's not how good you are, it's how many others are better than you.

The one thing I disagree with re: social media commentary on Battle, if it is in fact coming from scouts and then parroted by the draft guys, it that Battle has already "peaked" as a prospect.

That just doesn't make a ton of sense for a guy so young.

The one thing I disagree with re: social media commentary on Battle, if it is in fact coming from scouts and then parroted by the draft guys, it that Battle has already "peaked" as a prospect.

That just doesn't make a ton of sense for a guy so young.

And thats why a lot of these guys are “ex” or “former” front office members

Status
Not open for further replies.