Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A "tweeting head" said the sense is that he's already reached his ceiling. I don't know where they got that but if that's the message he's getting, there isn't much incentive for him to return (unless he just wants to be part of SU basketball a little longer).
I agree with that for the most part. It’s fantasy land here what some posters assume tyus is as a basketball player.

Just my opinion here, but the only reason I can think for him to come back, is to show that he has the ability to create for others. With our roster last year, that just wasn't possible. He needed to score, and that's what he did. He should have a couple other options to get the ball to next year. If he could show that he can do that, then I think he could improve his stock. If not, I can't see any reason for him to come back.

I still stick to the fact that I truly believe Tyus could be a great NBA defender, and that's where he is going to make his money.

I think you’re right in Ennis, but not Lydon. I think people on this board over value isolation basketball. Battle needs to learn how to play off the ball.

Agreed. But he’s not going to get that here. It would be the same clearing out, staring a defender down, and letting him pound the rock/run the shot clock down. It would be cool to run stuff for him where he is moving off the ball and he gets it in different spots in some sort of rhythm but we do so little off ball movement...sigh.

Yeah that’s a real bash, lol. Cry me a river.

You bring Frank up out of nowhere, the comparisons are pointless. Whether or not Frank would fare well in athletic testing has exactly nothing to do with NBA types liking Battle or not. You bring Frank into it, hijack the thread with your Frank b.s. and you get puked on, plain and simple. The comparison is between Battle and other guys doing similar things. Duh. Geez, leave your Frank garbage at home for once. Oh wait, I forgot, you can't. Eight billion posts about you and Frank isn't enough yet.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here, but the only reason I can think for him to come back, is to show that he has the ability to create for others. With our roster last year, that just wasn't possible. He needed to score, and that's what he did. He should have a couple other options to get the ball to next year. If he could show that he can do that, then I think he could improve his stock. If not, I can't see any reason for him to come back.

I still stick to the fact that I truly believe Tyus could be a great NBA defender, and that's where he is going to make his money.

Besides that, he would have the opportunity to show improved ball handling, and to shoot more efficiently -- which might change the perception about his capabilities.

Battle could return to a better, deeper team -- and not be asked to do as much, score less, not play the insane level of minutes he did last year, and have few shots, but prove himself to be a more efficient player -- which would certainly not hurt his NBA profile.

I expect him to go, but that's how I could see the case for him returning being outlined.

Where does it say he’s going back to Villanova

Villanova guard Donte DiVincenzo is expected by most executives I spoke with to return to Villanova despite a strong showing in Chicago. DiVincenzo impressed with his energetic defense and shotmaking off the dribble. Though it’s not inconceivable he’d get drafted in the first round, a return to school could lead to a rise similar to that of teammate Mikal Bridges this season.

OK so "expected to return" to Villanova while Battle is "likely" to stay in.

Still, FML.

OK so "expected to return" to Villanova while Battle is "likely" to stay in.

Still, FML.
The jealous hate I have growing for Nova is getting stronger. Jay Wright was personally credited by the former player dev coach for the Sixers as inspiring a free flowing modern offense that they have used this year to much success. You can't buy better publicity than that for recruits. Add that to them getting 5 stars (Quinerly) who should not be eligible, winning two national championships, and now returning first rounders so as to see them win another 30+ next year. In contrast, lets look at all the negative attacks Syracuse has seen on our offense and zone by the media during the tourney, the Bazley situation, Tyus, losing recruits to non-P5's/Duke at the 11th hour, and its quite a strong jealously and disdain I am feeling. I am conscious to the idea that negative thinking begets negative reality, however, we have work to do to get to their level. No question. They are certainly the darlings of hoops these days.

A "tweeting head" said the sense is that he's already reached his ceiling. I don't know where they got that but if that's the message he's getting, there isn't much incentive for him to return (unless he just wants to be part of SU basketball a little longer).

Yeah, he may not believe he’s reached his ceiling. He can work to improve and provide tangible evidence that his ceiling is higher.

When someone said the belief is that he has reached his ceiling, I expect the statement was with regard to whether NBA teams would be willing to draft him this year based on a belief that he will develop beyond what he has shown. In other words are they assigning much “P” value in their evaluations of him.

If he believes he’s reached his ceiling he should probably stop trying now.

The jealous hate I have growing for Nova is getting stronger. Jay Wright was personally credited by the former player dev coach for the Sixers as inspiring a free flowing modern offense that they have used this year to much success. You can't buy better publicity than that for recruits. Add that to them getting 5 stars (Quinerly) who should not be eligible, winning two national championships, and now returning first rounders so as to see them win another 30+ next year. In contrast, lets look at all the negative attacks Syracuse has seen on our offense and zone by the media during the tourney, the Bazley situation, Tyus, losing recruits to non-P5's/Duke at the 11th hour, and its quite a strong jealously and disdain I am feeling. I am conscious to the idea that negative thinking begets negative reality, however, we have work to do to get to their level. No question. They are certainly the darlings of hoops these days.

Theyre getting Joe Cremo too. So yeah they'll get their first round talent back but hey heres a grad transfer who scores 20 a game as a bonus.

Totally on board. Good luck to him. But I doubt he ever gets any meaningful time in the NBA.

Unfortunately I agree. But I"ll be cheering for him hard to make me look stupid.

Unfortunately I agree. But I"ll be cheering for him hard to make me look stupid.

SU’s problem is that we keep losing players to the NBA who are boarderline first-round picks. None of them are ready to make an impact at that level, shine and serve as a credit to SU.

We’re producing a lot of G League talent.

Barely getting drafted and playing in the g league isnt an NBA career. How about graduate and look for opportunities overseas.

Always loved Tyus. Couldn’t have asked for a better representative of SUMBB. That said, I’m looking forward to following his career overseas.

SU’s problem is that we keep losing players to the NBA who are boarderline first-round picks. None of them are ready to make an impact at that level, shine and serve as a credit to SU.

We’re producing a lot of G League talent.
And some other teams don't lose those types of players, allowing them to build a team instead of constantly being on the fringe. It's hard to be a team that relies on developing talent when the talent doesn't stay long enough to develop.

Having said that, I feel better about Battle leaving than most of our othet recent guys. He's the first one in a while that spent a season being the undisputed leader. Some others were no better than our 3rd option.

Last edited:
And some other teams don't lose those types of players, allowing them to build a team instead of constantly being on the fringe. It's hard to be a team that relies on developing talent when the talent doesn't stay long enough to develop.

Having said that, I feel better about Battle leaving than most of our othet recent guys. He's the first one in a while that spent a season being the undisputed leader. Some others were no better than our 3rd option.

i think it's obvious that he's confident in his academics that he can come back and get whatever he needs to finish up. Regarding his draft placement, he probably has a promise from a team that he'll be taken no later than the 2nd round. He mentally checked out as soon as he considered himself ready to go.

Good luck Tyus. I hope u make it big.

You bring Frank up out of nowhere, the comparisons are pointless. Whether or not Frank would fare well in athletic testing has exactly nothing to do with NBA types liking Battle or not. You bring Frank into it, hijack the thread with your Frank b.s. and you get puked on, plain and simple. The comparison is between Battle and other guys doing similar things. Duh. Geez, leave your Frank garbage at home for once. Oh wait, I forgot, you can't. Eight billion posts about you and Frank isn't enough yet.

Deep breaths. Ignore if you don’t like it. The conversation had already shifted to the zone/measurables/M2M fits. How guys here translate and such. Frank was a natural segue since he has some length and is a good zone defender but probably wouldn’t test well and probably would struggle in M2M. Tyus is someone who could be good in M2M because his athleticism is much better. If anything it’s more Captain Obvious banter.

Status
Not open for further replies.