U.S. Open at Shinnecock | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Open at Shinnecock

Also I wish fox would cut off the mic from the gallery. Caught at least 2 f bombs and I done listening to all the drunken dumbasses.

Also I wish fox would cut off the mic from the gallery. Caught at least 2 bombs and I done listening to all the drunken dumbasses.
I was listening in my car and DJ dropped one also. Not sure if TV caught it. If you think this is bad, wait until the Ryder Cup is at Bethpage.

He's not even close to that, relative to a lot of the guys out there today and in the past.
I have felt that way since he came on tour but ever since Tiger joined the tour I think he got worse.

The course is ridiculous at this point. Watching a car wreck isn't fun.

Seems like the USGA did not anticipate how much wind the course would get today. Otherwise, some of the pin placements would likely have been moved. Those with early tee times definitely had the better of it.

Oh, and the fans ARE drunken asses. Good thing they've got that profanity delay.

Last edited:
Berger and Finau the last group tomorrow. Amazing. In 45th start of today.

I'm thinking they soften the greens for tomorrow but I have no prediction on how it goes. Would love to see Furyk but not sure he has a chance. Will root for Finau if he is right there.

I'm thinking they soften the greens for tomorrow but I have no prediction on how it goes. Would love to see Furyk but not sure he has a chance. Will root for Finau if he is right there.
Furyk is the biggest surprise to me

Totally fair take.

But, like it or not, a lot of people don’t care about golf. They care about Tiger. They didn’t watch golf pre-Tiger, and they won’t watch it once he is gone. In the meantime, the media will take the ratings spike he gives them... because he does.

But it's a disservice to the PGA and it's foolish on the part of media outlets that are invested in these broadcasts. How are casual fans ever gonna lock on to the tremendously talented young guns if these outlets won't let go of Tiger. There is a decent shot that Tiger may never win another tournament let alone a major and he may not even be competitive in a few years. As I said above, they need to strike a better balance. They also need to treat the more serious golf fan with a little more respect. These are the fans more likely to buy the equipment they try to sell during commercials.

But it's a disservice to the PGA and it's foolish on the part of media outlets that are invested in these broadcasts. How are casual fans ever gonna lock on to the tremendously talented young guns if these outlets won't let go of Tiger. There is a decent shot that Tiger may never win another tournament let alone a major and he may not even be competitive in a few years. As I said above, they need to strike a better balance. They also need to treat the more serious golf fan with a little more respect. These are the fans more likely to buy the equipment they try to sell during commercials.

You aren’t wrong. Not at all. But they are going to ride the Tiger train to the final destination, and worry about everything else afterward. Not exactly forward thinking as you have pointed out.

Phil literally snapped.
It was amazing.
Tomorrow literally anyone could win who is within 10 strokes.

The casual fan has had the last 2-3 years to do that and they haven't. The ratings proved that while tiger was out

Why don't these pro's just hit irons all the way around? They can hit a 4 iron 250+ and don't have to worry about the fescue. It's the same course for everybody so Zach and Phil should stop crying. Got to deal with it and persevere.

Why don't these pro's just hit irons all the way around? They can hit a 4 iron 250+ and don't have to worry about the fescue. It's the same course for everybody so Zach and Phil should stop crying. Got to deal with it and persevere.
I actually thought Zach's criticism was absolutely perfect. He showed the proper amount of respect, while making it crystal clear what he thought about the USGA's decisions for the course. Phil? Well, I've never been a fan. Let's just say, yesterday and his 'explanation' of his ludicrous actions did nothing to change my mind. :rolleyes:

Zach Johnson's comments yesterday:
"We're not on the edge. I thought we could be on the edge, but we've surpassed it," Zach Johnson told Sky Sports after his 72. "It's pretty much gone, especially the latter part of the day for us. It's pretty much shot. It's really unfortunate, because in my opinion, some of the best land and certainly one of the best venues in all of golf, especially in this country, is Shinnecock Hills. It's as good as it gets.

"Unfortunately, they've lost the golf course. I feel for the membership, because I know many of them. I feel for the spectators because they are seeing pure carnage -- unless that's what they want. And I feel for the USGA, because I don't think this was their intent.

"But when you think of things that happened in the past, you have to err on the side of caution. And that wasn't done today."

I dont get the cristism of Phil. he was out of it and he knew it. why take 5 more minutes to go hit 3-4 more shots, just take the penalty and move on.

the pros are babies.. the only issue was that it played easier then hard. but courses do that all the time when wind/rain change. Look at the british open, sometimes it gets hard. its not like everyone +5 and above shot 66 to get back into it.

you play courses around here all the time where you can putt off and cant stop the ball, now we dont play 18 holes of it, but you deal

I actually thought Zach's criticism was absolutely perfect. He showed the proper amount of respect, while making it crystal clear what he thought about the USGA's decisions for the course. Phil? Well, I've never been a fan. Let's just say, yesterday and his 'explanation' of his ludicrous actions did nothing to change my mind. :rolleyes:

Zach Johnson's comments yesterday:
"We're not on the edge. I thought we could be on the edge, but we've surpassed it," Zach Johnson told Sky Sports after his 72. "It's pretty much gone, especially the latter part of the day for us. It's pretty much shot. It's really unfortunate, because in my opinion, some of the best land and certainly one of the best venues in all of golf, especially in this country, is Shinnecock Hills. It's as good as it gets.

"Unfortunately, they've lost the golf course. I feel for the membership, because I know many of them. I feel for the spectators because they are seeing pure carnage -- unless that's what they want. And I feel for the USGA, because I don't think this was their intent.

"But when you think of things that happened in the past, you have to err on the side of caution. And that wasn't done today."

Very much agree about Phil and not just because of yesterday either. I think what Zach said was perfect also. I think he's one of the classiest players on tour, and it shows with how he framed his comments, but for him to say something, it's bad. And it's not like he had a bad round either with shooting a 72

Very much agree about Phil and not just because of yesterday either. I think what Zach said was perfect also. I think he's one of the classiest players on tour, and it shows with how he framed his comments, but for him to say something, it's bad. And it's not like he had a bad round either with shooting a 72
Sorry, but if Phil had said the exact same thing as Zach, he'd be getting ripped by the same people who are ripping him today. Zach gets a pass because he's not a lightning rod, IMO. Players being unhappy with how the USGA sets up its Open courses is a long tradition. Phil didn't invent it. I would prefer they all just bite their tongues and play, but that's not realistic.

Last edited:
With each comment the pros make, it becomes harder to believe that they’re not spoiled by the relative easiness of the courses on the regular tour. I’m not saying every course ever week needs to be as tough as this one, but they all need to be tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom