U.S. Open at Shinnecock | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Open at Shinnecock

Johnson and Koepka have their bigboy pants on, and they are going to go mano-a-mano today and it's going to be a great final day at the Open.

The casual fan has had the last 2-3 years to do that and they haven't. The ratings proved that while tiger was out

If Tiger continues to be a non-factor in terms of competing for titles then the casual fan will eventually give up the ghost and pack it in altogether. At that point maybe ESPNCBSFOXNBC can deal with reality and stop trying to cater to those fans.

Why don't these pro's just hit irons all the way around? They can hit a 4 iron 250+ and don't have to worry about the fescue. It's the same course for everybody so Zach and Phil should stop crying. Got to deal with it and persevere.

I think it's the greens and pin placements more than the width of the fairways.

Sorry, but if Phil had said the exact same thing as Zach, he'd be getting ripped by the same people who are ripping him today. Zach gets a pass because he's not a lightning rod, IMO. Players being unhappy with how the USGA sets up its Open courses is a long tradition. Phil didn't invent it. I would prefer they all just bite their tongues and play, but that's not realistic.

And sorry, but I think if anyone but your hero Phil had pulled that act yesterday, he would have been DQed. I'm surprised at you for falling for his routine.

With each comment the pros make, it becomes harder to believe that they’re not spoiled by the relative easiness of the courses on the regular tour. I’m not saying every course ever week needs to be as tough as this one, but they all need to be tougher.
I don't necessarily agree with you but when you have the absolute best players in the world and not one of them is beating the course then you could argue that the course is too difficult.

And sorry, but I think if anyone but your hero Phil had pulled that act yesterday, he would have been DQed. I'm surprised at you for falling for his routine.
Please, I didn't fall for anything. This whole story is much ado about nothing, golf-style, and I find the reaction it is getting in some circles to be hilarious.

I would have been okay with the USGA disqualifying him, as it was a judgment call based on how they chose to assess the incident and interpret the rules. They chose not to, and I believe they would have reached the same conclusion had it been any other player.

I don't necessarily agree with you but when you have the absolute best players in the world and not one of them is beating the course then you could argue that the course is too difficult.
I don't think it's accurate to conclude nobody is beating the course. +3 after three rounds on a diabolical 7400 yard par 70 course is a fine score, particularly on a course set up for a U.S. Open.

I don't think it's accurate to conclude nobody is beating the course. +3 after three rounds on a diabolical 7400 yard par 70 course is a fine score, particularly on a course set up for a U.S. Open.
I was thinking more along the lines of the 2000 US Open when Tiger won with a -12 and second place was +3. Tiger won the course that week. You are right thought that +3 at Shinnecock is a fine score and probably the best anyone would ever do through three rounds in those conditions, it's just that not one player, so far, has stood out and said this is his tournament to win.

The greens were difficult, but the really big numbers came from being in the deep fescue.

The greens were difficult, but the really big numbers came from being in the deep fescue.

I disagree. The greens are like lightning and the pin placements yesterday were off the charts brutal. How many times did you see an approach shot land on the green then only to roll backward off the green? They actually widened the fairways from the previous Open held there in 2004. Fescue is always deep at the US Open. The intent there is to penalize but when nobody is below par then you know it's a lot more than fescue that is causing that.

Why don't these pro's just hit irons all the way around? They can hit a 4 iron 250+ and don't have to worry about the fescue. It's the same course for everybody so Zach and Phil should stop crying. Got to deal with it and persevere.

At least understand what the problem is. It had nothing to do with the fescue.

The course is a fair driving test and not one player is complaining about the fescue. The issue is the approach shots (yesterday). The greens were being not receptive and even per the USGA good shots on a number of holes were running to easily off false edges and false fronts.

Absolutely 100% false.

That being said should be a great finish to the open

Please, I didn't fall for anything. This whole story is much ado about nothing, golf-style, and I find the reaction it is getting in some circles to be hilarious.

I would have been okay with the USGA disqualifying him, as it was a judgment call based on how they chose to assess the incident and interpret the rules. They chose not to, and I believe they would have reached the same conclusion had it been any other player.

Phil's website used to compare his virtues on and off the course to other golf legends such as Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan. If he wants to play that game he should have withdrawn.

And regarding "strategy". If Phil was so clever and strategic like he claimed, he would have taken an unplayable lie, taken the one shot penalty, reputted from the spot and been one shot ahead of the game.

So in claiming strategy he was either:
a) Lying to cover up his behaviour.
b) Nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.

Last edited:
With each comment the pros make, it becoo believe that they’re not spoiled by the relative easiness of the courses on the regular tour. I’m not saying every course ever week needs to be as tough as this one, but they all need to be tougher.

There are several courses that are tough and fair. That was the case of Shinnecock on Thursday. But when the greens become baked, and pin placements are not appropriate like yesterday afternoon then we have moved from tough to unfair.

You are acting as if every course has a -20 type winner. Courses can be made tougher (and still be fair), but many are fine the way they are. Many are in the -5 to -10 vicinity for the winner which is a fine target.

Last edited:
Here comes Reed.

It will be interesting to see if Fleetwood posts at +2 or even +3... and the course is yellowing out.

Fleetwood on pace for a 63... and Johnny Miller is starting to get grumpy.

There are several courses that are tough and fair. That was the case of Shinnecock on Thursday. But when the greens become baked, and pin placements are not appropriate like yesterday afternoon then we have moved from tough to unfair.

You are acting as if every course has a -20 type winner. Courses can be made tougher (and still be fair), but many after fine the way they are. Many are in the -5 to -10 vicinity for the winner which is a fine target.

Agree. I don't mind a challenging course but the USGA even admitted yesterday was a mistake.

And blowhard Johnny breathes a sigh of relief as he stays relevant for another year.

And blowhard Johnny breathes a sigh of relief as he stays relevant for another year.
That deprived him of a chance to win outright.
+2 could be a playoff but with how easy these greens are today I think one of Reed/Kopeka/Johnson will finish +1 or better.

I don't think the width of the fairway was the problem for the players to hit, it was the ball kept running out and into the rough. They can't get any control over the ball out of the rough and then over the green it goes into more trouble with a dead chip coming back. I think you leave the driver and the woods in the bag and try to play for pars and not birdies.

I like Fleetwood's chances of winning this outright.

Koepka’s putting is on Fire I like him to win at even.

Agree - I think his putting is going to keep him on top. He's on fire. He'd be the first guy to defend since Curtis Strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom