UCLA basketball players arrested in China | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UCLA basketball players arrested in China

Agreed. Unfortunately "Can't fix stupid" isn't always a comedian's line. Does LaVar think he will prepare his sons for the NBA and/or life? Last I checked, you prepare for a career by training and engaging in said career at various levels to make your way to the top.

LaVar knows that his son was going to get little to no PT at UCLA regardless of the suspension. The kid was a three star recruit. It was a package deal to offer all three in order to get Lonzo. LiAngelo is a low D1 player at best and his younger brother is not much better. Playing in the NBA is a pipe dream for both.

As much as I can't stand LaVar, I think this was the right move. If I thought LiAngelo was planning on getting a degree, I'd say otherwise. But everything has pointed to one-and-done regardless of how small his chances are of making it in the NBA. If he's not playing at UCLA, he may as well look into other options. And I have absolutely no problem with UCLA suspending him.

“I want them to go somewhere where they will play them together on the court at the same time,” LaVar told ESPN. “The priority is for the boys to play on the same team.”

I'm sorry, but I can't see any overseas team adding both of them as a package deal. One is a scrawny 16 year old HS junior, the other is an undersized PF that was a 3-star recruit. Neither will have shown they can play above the HS level.

Don't most overseas leagues have a limit on the number of foreigners that can be on each team? Unless they're brought in for a PR bump (that seems unlikely), where are they going to play? In Matt Gorman's Irish league?

If it isn't about money, why are they both turning pro? Why not just go to the same mid-major school and play 40 minutes a game in a few years?

LaVar knows that his son was going to get little to no PT at UCLA regardless of the suspension. The kid was a three star recruit. It was a package deal to offer all three in order to get Lonzo. LiAngelo is a low D1 player at best and his younger brother is not much better. Playing in the NBA is a pipe dream for both.

I agree, neither is NBA material. Thus my question regarding how LaVar will prepare the two younger boys for the NBA and/or life? If the boys are not really NBA material, the only way they get there is through college to see whether they develop enough. More importantly, and more likely, how does LaVar prepare his sons for life? He withdrew one son from a free ride a well respected university and now that he has signed the two with an agent, the other son is now without hope of his free ride.

Most posters on this site and several other sites believe as you and I that the two younger sons are not NBA bound. What is his plan for their lives? European ball? Possibly, but again, wouldn't keeping them in school improve their chances? As they have an agent, now they cannot join any amateur leagues and high school and college are no longer options. Will LaVar prepare them for the European league? If so, how? Without playing against at least some competition they will not improve. Without a full team, there is no way to team team dynamics and strategies, offensively and defensively.

This is not directed at you or anyone else in particular, except maybe LaVar. I am honestly curious how he plans to break the mold. He can't even enter the boys in park leagues. I am more so interested in how he plans to develop the boys for life. We now that can happen, and often does, but I just don't see LaVar as a teacher/instructor, nor as well-rounded as one would expect from a teach/instructor.

I agree, neither is NBA material. Thus my question regarding how LaVar will prepare the two younger boys for the NBA and/or life? If the boys are not really NBA material, the only way they get there is through college to see whether they develop enough. More importantly, and more likely, how does LaVar prepare his sons for life? He withdrew one son from a free ride a well respected university and now that he has signed the two with an agent, the other son is now without hope of his free ride.

Most posters on this site and several other sites believe as you and I that the two younger sons are not NBA bound. What is his plan for their lives? European ball? Possibly, but again, wouldn't keeping them in school improve their chances? As they have an agent, now they cannot join any amateur leagues and high school and college are no longer options. Will LaVar prepare them for the European league? If so, how? Without playing against at least some competition they will not improve. Without a full team, there is no way to team team dynamics and strategies, offensively and defensively.

This is not directed at you or anyone else in particular, except maybe LaVar. I am honestly curious how he plans to break the mold. He can't even enter the boys in park leagues. I am more so interested in how he plans to develop the boys for life. We now that can happen, and often does, but I just don't see LaVar as a teacher/instructor, nor as well-rounded as one would expect from a teach/instructor.

Great questions.

LaVar is a carnival barker trying to make a fast buck while he can. In his heart he knows #2 and #3 are not playing in the NBA. Just like he knows he couldn't beat MJ one on one if MJ played on one leg. It's amazing how he has conned people into believing his younger two sons can play. I watched some clips on both sons in competitive games. Obvious that neither one is high D-1 material. UCLA offered all three as a package deal.

ESPN had a ranking up where LaMelo was ranked #7 in the Class of 2019. What a joke but that's to the credit of the con man.

This could go two ways, the kids flop and he's deemed as worst father ever. It works and he starts a trend and changes the way some things are done with amateur athletics (or the league makes some changes).

Regardless it should be interesting to see how it pans out.

This could go two ways, the kids flop and he's deemed as worst father ever. It works and he starts a trend and changes the way some things are done with amateur athletics (or the league makes some changes).

Regardless it should be interesting to see how it pans out.
This has been done before didn’t Jennings play over seas

I feel like the lack of exposure would cost a kid unless they are indisputablely great as a prospect

He did but he was a five star recruit. These two dudes are nowhere near that level.

LaMelo is a 5 star 7th overall rated recruit in his class. I'd say that's pretty much the same or damn close to Jennings level.

Hate the dad all you want, but the kids a legitimate talent.

This has been done before didn’t Jennings play over seas

Mudiay and another has as well, not to mention the young euro guys who've never played college.

Difference is that there's a mouthpiece and promoter in Lavar.

Papa Ball isn't dumb, if he was a pure narssasist he'd be their agent, I think he's more calculating than people even try to realize.

LaMelo is a 5 star 7th overall rated recruit in his class. I'd say that's pretty much the same or damn close to Jennings level.

I would encourage you to watch some actual footage on youtube of LaMelo playing in AAU games over the last year or so. I watched several where he got schooled beyond belief. I know you've watched plenty of hoops over the years so I am pretty confident that you will recognize he's wildly overrated. He's a complete chucker with no floor game. No way is he a high D-1 talent. Just because u score 94 points by basket hanging against the sisters of the poor doesn't make you a five star.

Maybe in 10-15 years when Lonzo is no longer relevant in the NBA, they can all go play somewhere overseas. Too bad they burned bridges in China

Maybe in 10-15 years when Lonzo is no longer relevant in the NBA, they can all go play somewhere overseas. Too bad they burned bridges in China

It's funny, because i was thinking LaVar sold the boys out to Alibaba in exchange for getting his kid released. Once Lonzo is done, all three end up over there.

It's funny, because i was thinking LaVar sold the boys out to Alibaba in exchange for getting his kid released. Once Lonzo is done, all three end up over there.

All three will end up there, and will never be able to leave

And the problem with that is ... ?

Nahhh, the kids are fine, other than having terrible fundamentals. It's the dad who needs to end up in China and never come back...

A real shame that a narcissistic, arrogant fool is destroying his son's chances of anything resembling a normal, productive life.

I can't wait for the 30 in 30 special in 20 years to see what the boys thought about this.

Lavar is not dumb by any means, but he’s definitely not a genius. Unfortunately all he’s doing is tapping in to the worst part of us as a society, and that is that our love for crazy, unorthodox, behavior. How many of us have said, “it’s like a train wreck, I just couldn’t stop watching!”? Overall our society has placed importance upon the wrong things. The crazier he acts, the more publicity he and the boys get. For him, bad press is still press. We live in a world of reality TV! It’s scary the crap that is put on the air. Heck, I read somewhere that the Cash Me Outside girl has a record deal, and a net worth of nearly 1 million. Lord help us!

The crazier Lavar acts the more $400 pairs of plain sneakers he can sell!

They both just signed in Lithuania and are supposedly promised 25 to 30 min per game. These two aren't even close to high level European talent.

I don’t really get the whole lamelo isn’t good thing. It’s just the middle kid that isn’t as good

The idea of the Ball brothers playing for some Eastern European block coach, who smokes cigarettes and carries no less than 3 handguns in his Yugo, has me ready to be entertained.
Well when you say it like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom