UCLA vs Washington at 4 PM on ESPN2 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UCLA vs Washington at 4 PM on ESPN2

If tv sets an SU vs UW first round game...I like our chances.

SU might beat UW in a single game but UW wins a 7 game series (and probably in 5 or 6 games). They're better than us. Period.

Arizona is terrible. That was my only take away from that game.

Not sure Washington beats us. Far from being definitive or factual.

We have no ball handling and they have the best defender in college basketball. I think we'd turn the ball over 20 times against their zone.

PAC12 is bad, but UWs worst loss is #51 Minnesota on a neutral. Their only other losses are VaTech, Gonzaga, and Auburn. They have the #2 offense in the PAC12 and #1 defense (14th nationally).

The issue right now is their best OOC win is #85 San Diego. They have no OOC road wins and 2 OOC neutral site wins (Santa Clara snd Texas A&M). And because of how bad the PAC12 is, they currently have 0 top 50 wins. They aren’t projected to play a top 50 team the rest of the way either.

They’re 19-4 with 8 games left. Unfortunately for them any loss would hurt and no win sould help. If we assume they drop 2 that puts them at 25-6 and 16-2 with no top 50 wins.

It’s almost like you have to treat them like a high mid major resume wise; they’d probably have to lose in the PAC12 title game to get in (assuming they are 16-2 in conference). They can’t lose more than 3 times the rest of the way and if they bow out early in the PAC12 tournament they’d be in serious trouble

JB has more talent, and we'd lose to Washington if we played them.
It would be must see tv though. And if it accelerates the transition then I’m all for it. Not excited about 4 more bubble years.

SU might beat UW in a single game but UW wins a 7 game series (and probably in 5 or 6 games). They're better than us. Period.

The period does not make it fact. It’s your opinion and I and many others would think differently. If we match up in March I wouldn’t be shocked if we were favored or it was a pick em.

Cuse!

We haven't played the Duke team that was discussed in that thread. We played them without 2 of their 4 best players. They were handling us pretty easily before Howard took out Jones.

True but Washington’s best wins are at Arizona and home against UCLA. Neither of those teams sniffs the tournament. Zero solid wins!

Lol, guy needs to win a ncaat game first. And ucla is not ucla and hasnt been for awhile. Barely over .500

Blows my mind reading this thread. The Pac 12 is essentially a high mid major on par with the West Coast Conference at this point and the WCC might get more bids than the P12; that's how bad a league it is. Washington would not fare this well in a conference with talent. Beating SU in a seven game series? Laughable.

I'm not quite sure why there's such disdain for Hopkins and what he's doing at UW. He's taken them from the bottom of the PAC-12 to undefeated in the conference this year. The conference may not be good, but he's got his team fired up and believing that they can compete...and they are. They lost by 2 @ Gonzaga and lost to VATech by less than we did. He has a great defensive player in Thybulle, several role-players he's molded into a decent team, and a good class of recruits coming in next year. He's becoming the coach many of us hoped he'd be though he's wearing purple not Orange. A little praise for a favorite son who is doing good hurts no-one. Go Mike! Go Huskies!!

I think ASU was looking ahead to UW. Wow. That Hurts ASU's bid.

Wow is right, that score shocked me. How can you, at home and being one of the best teams in your conference, lose to a team that had zero away wins all year and is terrible.

I hope the Washington schools sweep this weekend.

Blows my mind reading this thread. The Pac 12 is essentially a high mid major on par with the West Coast Conference at this point and the WCC might get more bids than the P12; that's how bad a league it is. Washington would not fare this well in a conference with talent. Beating SU in a seven game series? Laughable.

If
I'm not quite sure why there's such disdain for Hopkins and what he's doing at UW. He's taken them from the bottom of the PAC-12 to undefeated in the conference this year. The conference may not be good, but he's got his team fired up and believing that they can compete...and they are. They lost by 2 @ Gonzaga and lost to VATech by less than we did. He has a great defensive player in Thybulle, several role-players he's molded into a decent team, and a good class of recruits coming in next year. He's becoming the coach many of us hoped he'd be though he's wearing purple not Orange. A little praise for a favorite son who is doing good hurts no-one. Go Mike! Go Huskies!!

i don't think there is disdain for Coach Hop and most wish him well. The pointing out that Washington has beaten no one and the Pac 10 stinks is a response to many on here who turn Hop's success into an anti Jimmy agenda. You wouldn't have anyone pointing out that Washington's record is inflated if there was not constant harping that "Cuse is no good", "Washington would definetly beat us, beat us in 7 game series, oh what could have been etc"

I'm glad Hop is doing well and he is doing very well. However it's also true if he were in the ACC he would not be 10-0 and his record would be, at best similar to our's.

Cuse!

i've said for years if Hopkins really wanted the Syracuse job he should leave the nest and show us his chops.
watching his team a few times this year i'd say he's doing exactly that. i think huskies would beat us .

#1 defense? Incredible. AND the team can score a decent amount, too? Be right back...

Wow, they have a kid averaging 3.3 steals and over 2 blocks. In about 30mpg. That is insane!! He would dominate our guards, in all likelihood.

Don't care how "bad" their schedule might have been. They still played Auburn, Gonzaga, and VaTech. Two losses have been blowouts (to really good teams), and two losses were within a basket to Minnesota and Gonzaga.

If they go undefeated the rest of the way (which is unlikely I think), they are absolutely in the tournament. Not even close. Can't believe it's a discussion.

some talk last night that 1 more win and they clinch the league already. also a little chatter that the pac might only get one team. and of course walton on the ground getting licked in the face by Sam the rescue dog.

i've said for years if Hopkins really wanted the Syracuse job he should leave the nest and show us his chops.
watching his team a few times this year i'd say he's doing exactly that. i think huskies would beat us .
I think the home team would win. It makes a bigger difference than I once thought. I see it as a Syracuse east and Syracuse west, both playing JB’s defensive system, though I think that Hopkins is more aggressive offensively. It would be fun to watch. Neither team has had consistent point guard play but UW is getting better against PAC-12 competition. They seemed in control most of their recent games against UCLA and Arizona. In that league, those used to be the teams to beat. How good will UW or SU be by season’s end? Both have a chance and it’ll be fun watching. LGO!!

I think the home team would win. It makes a bigger difference than I once thought. I see it as a Syracuse east and Syracuse west, both playing JB’s defensive system, though I think that Hopkins is more aggressive offensively. It would be fun to watch. Neither team has had consistent point guard play but UW is getting better against PAC-12 competition. They seemed in control most of their recent games against UCLA and Arizona. In that league, those used to be the teams to beat. How good will UW or SU be by season’s end? Both have a chance and it’ll be fun watching. LGO!!
I've seen a couple of your posts on the Hardcore Husky board. That place is special ; )

rochester kid carter played pretty well. also put up a defensive graphic of zion and mattise with both averaging over 2 steals and 2 blocks a game.

PAC12 is bad, but UWs worst loss is #51 Minnesota on a neutral. Their only other losses are VaTech, Gonzaga, and Auburn. They have the #2 offense in the PAC12 and #1 defense (14th nationally).

The issue right now is their best OOC win is #85 San Diego. They have no OOC road wins and 2 OOC neutral site wins (Santa Clara snd Texas A&M). And because of how bad the PAC12 is, they currently have 0 top 50 wins. They aren’t projected to play a top 50 team the rest of the way either.

They’re 19-4 with 8 games left. Unfortunately for them any loss would hurt and no win sould help. If we assume they drop 2 that puts them at 25-6 and 16-2 with no top 50 wins.

It’s almost like you have to treat them like a high mid major resume wise; they’d probably have to lose in the PAC12 title game to get in (assuming they are 16-2 in conference). They can’t lose more than 3 times the rest of the way and if they bow out early in the PAC12 tournament they’d be in serious trouble
I get what you are saying about the PAC12 being bad. I know I watch it every day. If they go 16-2 in a P5 conference they are getting in the tourney though. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I've seen a couple of your posts on the Hardcore Husky board. That place is special ; )
I don’t know how they survive. We have more posts on UW basketball than they do, though it’s getting a little more active. Is there a better board? The “charging to maximum doog” thing is interesting...

I don’t know how they survive. We have more posts on UW basketball than they do, though it’s getting a little more active. Is there a better board? The “charging to maximum doog” thing is interesting...
The best one is dawgman but you have to subscribe to them to get access.

Huskies are a tough team to figure out. They haven't beaten a team with a NET better than 50, but their only losses are true road games at Auburn and Gonzaga, and neutral courts against VTech and Minnesota. The issue with UW is that they didn't start playing their best ball until conference play. They looked pretty bad in the non conference. While people might make fun of them for zero wins inside the top 50, there are plenty of spots they could have had a down game and lost to a weaker opponent.

Hop can coach them up as good as any other coach I've seen. He has taken UW from the bottom to the top in two years. As a UW fan, I'm not worried about him coming back to Cuse, but I am a little worried about the UCLA opening. I don't care what conference you play in, that is very special. Hop probably has the best guy to ever play the zone for him, that's how amazing Thybulle is. He has 24 steals in the last 4 games. Last game he had 10 combined blocks and steals, the game before that he combined for 8, and the game before that he combined for 9.

As for who would win in a head to head matchup, hard to say. I do think UW has hit their stride and are a better offensive team than Syracuse. A couple months ago I would have said Syracuse, but with how UW has been playing I'd take them. Hop has them playing at an elite level. The issue is they are playing in a bad conference. The Pac-12 is really hurting them. Very few great wins, and a lot of opportunities for bad losses. I think if you were to transplant UW to the ACC, they would be somewhere around Syracuse. Playing in the Pac is a double edge sword for them. While they wouldn't be anywhere close to 10-0 in another power conference, they would likely have many better wins as they'd have more opportunities at playing teams in the NET top 50.

Yes I would treat the Pac-12 like a high mid major. And mid majors can send high seeds to the dance, just look at Nevada and Buffalo. Nevada is likely a 2 seed unless they drop more games, exactly who have they beaten? Their best win is at ASU, and their only loss was to a bad New Mexico team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom