UCLA vs Washington at 4 PM on ESPN2 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UCLA vs Washington at 4 PM on ESPN2

Huskies are a tough team to figure out. They haven't beaten a team with a NET better than 50, but their only losses are true road games at Auburn and Gonzaga, and neutral courts against VTech and Minnesota. The issue with UW is that they didn't start playing their best ball until conference play. They looked pretty bad in the non conference. While people might make fun of them for zero wins inside the top 50, there are plenty of spots they could have had a down game and lost to a weaker opponent.

Hop can coach them up as good as any other coach I've seen. He has taken UW from the bottom to the top in two years. As a UW fan, I'm not worried about him coming back to Cuse, but I am a little worried about the UCLA opening. I don't care what conference you play in, that is very special. Hop probably has the best guy to ever play the zone for him, that's how amazing Thybulle is. He has 24 steals in the last 4 games. Last game he had 10 combined blocks and steals, the game before that he combined for 8, and the game before that he combined for 9.

As for who would win in a head to head matchup, hard to say. I do think UW has hit their stride and are a better offensive team than Syracuse. A couple months ago I would have said Syracuse, but with how UW has been playing I'd take them. Hop has them playing at an elite level. The issue is they are playing in a bad conference. The Pac-12 is really hurting them. Very few great wins, and a lot of opportunities for bad losses. I think if you were to transplant UW to the ACC, they would be somewhere around Syracuse. Playing in the Pac is a double edge sword for them. While they wouldn't be anywhere close to 10-0 in another power conference, they would likely have many better wins as they'd have more opportunities at playing teams in the NET top 50.

Yes I would treat the Pac-12 like a high mid major. And mid majors can send high seeds to the dance, just look at Nevada and Buffalo. Nevada is likely a 2 seed unless they drop more games, exactly who have they beaten? Their best win is at ASU, and their only loss was to a bad New Mexico team.
There is zero chance Hop takes the UCLA job.

There is zero chance Hop takes the UCLA job.

I think you're right on that one. I would say he is more likely to leave UW for UCLA than Syracuse though. He does have SoCal ties and I believe his father lives down there. UCLA could offer a lot more money that what he is being paid at UW right now. My guess is UCLA will go after Musselman.

I think you're right on that one. I would say he is more likely to leave UW for UCLA than Syracuse though. He does have SoCal ties and I believe his father lives down there. UCLA could offer a lot more money that what he is being paid at UW right now. My guess is UCLA will go after Musselman.
He went to Mater Dei. He hasn't lived down there in 30 years. He doesn't think this way. He is loyal like Boeheim. There are only two options for him. Stay at UW forever or go back home if Boeheim calls him and convinces him. Like Roy Williams when he was at KU. If Red Autry or whoever takes over for JB and then doesn't have success and they decide to go in another direction that would be the only pull. Boeheim is behind like 20 other guys in terms of pay. Hopkins will never leave UW over money. If they give him a fair contract and invest in facilities he will stay probably forever. His dad graduated from UW and has early on set dementia. He wanted to be on the west coast so it was a quick flight for him to see him play.

I get what you are saying about the PAC12 being bad. I know I watch it every day. If they go 16-2 in a P5 conference they are getting in the tourney though. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

It’s ridiculous to suggest a team with no top 50 wins and was 0-4 vs the best 4 teams they played doesn’t get in?

I’m not saying they wouldn’t be in but they’d be very close to, if not in, the play in game

It’s ridiculous to suggest a team with no top 50 wins and was 0-4 vs the best 4 teams they played doesn’t get in?

I’m not saying they wouldn’t be in but they’d be very close to, if not in, the play in game

Then according to your logic, you would leave Nevada our too.

the committee isn't leaving UW out if they go 16-2 and lose in the Pac 12 tourney and no way they would be in the play in game. Even with no good wins, their NET ranking is top 25 currently (even though I think NET is a joke, they are using it) and they are 7-2 in road/neutral games. I get it that they lack quality wins, but even with the Pac 12 being el sucko it is still a Power 5 conference and they won't be left out if they have a gaudy record at the end of the day. Nebraska got left out last year because they had no quality wins of note, but they didn't have the kind of record that we are talking about for Washington

Then according to your logic, you would leave Nevada our too.
Nevada has a top 50 win.

OOC Nevada is 5-0 against top 100 opponents, 3 of which we’re away from home

Washington is 1-4 vs top 100. Granted Washington played 4 games vs the top 51, but lost all 4.

We can even extend it;

Top 125 OOC:
Nevada: 8-0
Washington: 3-4

It’s more even in conference play now. Washington has 11 wins vs the top 125 and Nevada has 10

I never said Washington was out, but they are very much on the bubble

the committee isn't leaving UW out if they go 16-2 and lose in the Pac 12 tourney and no way they would be in the play in game. Even with no good wins, their NET ranking is top 25 currently (even though I think NET is a joke, they are using it) and they are 7-2 in road/neutral games. I get it that they lack quality wins, but even with the Pac 12 being el sucko it is still a Power 5 conference and they won't be left out if they have a gaudy record at the end of the day. Nebraska got left out last year because they had no quality wins of note, but they didn't have the kind of record that we are talking about for Washington
NET might be a big trump card

Nevada has a top 50 win.

OOC Nevada is 5-0 against top 100 opponents, 3 of which we’re away from home

Washington is 1-4 vs top 100. Granted Washington played 4 games vs the top 51, but lost all 4.

We can even extend it;

Top 125 OOC:
Nevada: 8-0
Washington: 3-4

It’s more even in conference play now. Washington has 11 wins vs the top 125 and Nevada has 10

I never said Washington was out, but they are very much on the bubble

They use the quadrant system now, not wins vs top 100, etc. Nevada has zero quadrant 1 wins, Washington has two.

SU might beat UW in a single game but UW wins a 7 game series (and probably in 5 or 6 games). They're better than us. Period.

we're never going to face them in a seven game series. one game at most, which you allow su might win. but the next fantasy four or five that will never happen? those are totally in the bag for the huskies!

so you give yourself wiggle room on the one game that has a chance of happening (because you know your pal's team is not nearly as good as you want others to believe), but pretend that hop's kids are a juggernaut for the ones that don't.

i mean, is this even a real post?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom