UConn Beat Writer Says UConn Looking to Schedule SU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UConn Beat Writer Says UConn Looking to Schedule SU

Absolutely we had a down year last year. Compared to the couple years before that it was a down year. The differences of course were that we went on to the final four in that down year and that last year was a continuation of a downward trend for UConn.

A downward trend with a National Championship you meant to write.

Ok. So, we can count your FF season with a 14 BE wins as elite, but we can't count a UCONN season with 15 BE wins and a NC as elite?
Ahh so Ollie was head coach when Kemba was recruited? Otherwise that is, of course, irellevant to the conversation.

Who has the best record in the BE going back say the last 5 years or so?

Who has more NC over the last 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years? 25 years? 50 years? 100 years?

Since I am crossing into the dark side, I will bid you farewell... I think you will have a blast in the ACC and wish we were there (or big11)

Ok. So, we can count your FF season with a 14 BE wins as elite, but we can't count a UCONN season with 15 BE wins and a NC as elite?

Syracuse has been a 1,3,1, and 4 seed in the tournament with 10 wins.

Uconn has been a 3 and 8 seed in the same timespan with six wins.

A downward trend with a National Championship you meant to write.
Umm nope... this team, with this coach has won jack . Now he moves into a FAR lesser mid major conf and is losing recruit after recruit to programs UConn never lost to before. Sure in the past you'd occasionally miss out to Duke, Syracuse, UNC etc (and you'd win some)... now you're losing recruits to the Providences of the world.

8-10 and 10-8 last two BE seasons... UConn education?

See, this is funny because you called out a UConn education, but have the basic facts wrong. Ollie has been coach for 1 season. 10-8 would be accurate.

See, this is funny because you called out a UConn education, but have the basic facts wrong. Ollie has been coach for 1 season. 10-8 would be accurate.
Right... and he had no role in the previous season. So go troll other midmajor's boards. Maybe you can trash talk SMU. I have no interest in your 2nd or 3rd tier program anymore.

Right... and he had no role in the previous season. So go troll other midmajor's boards. Maybe you can trash talk SMU. I have no interest in your 2nd or 3rd tier program anymore.

I wasn't trash talking SU. Just your post. Lol, it is quite funny when people just can't admit they made a mistake. But if you want to talk about seasons where Ollie was involved then it's 27-27 and a national championship. Cherrypick some more though. It's quite amusing.

I wasn't trash talking SU. Just your post. Lol, it is quite funny when people just can't admit they made a mistake. But if you want to talk about seasons where Ollie was involved then it's 27-27 and a national championship. Cherrypick some more though. It's quite amusing.
So I guess you're saying UConn fans are all hypersensitive idiots for their 2 year freak out over conference realignment? Why maintain an entire forum with thousands of paniced posts dedicated to such a meaningless subject if the fact that you're moving to a mid-major wont harm and potentially destroy your program?

So I guess you're saying UConn fans are all hypersensitive idiots for their 2 year freak out over conference realignment? Why maintain an entire forum with thousands of paniced posts dedicated to such a meaningless subject if the fact that you're moving to a mid-major wont harm and potentially destroy your program?

And I said any of that where in what you were quoting?

And when one can't admit they made a mistake, change the subject. Lol

EDIT: to answer your question, sure possibly, I'm sure at least some are. Or maybe use some critical thinking and discover for yourself why UConn fans would want to talk CR in regards to sports not related to basketball.

And I said any of that where in what you were quoting?

And when one can't admit they made a mistake, change the subject. Lol
That HAS been the subject of conversation for the last SEVERAL pages of this string. So answer the question or go troll SMU... why the freak out if UConn is as elite as ever?

That HAS been the subject of conversation for the last SEVERAL pages of this string. So answer the question or go troll SMU... why the freak out if UConn is as elite as ever?

Sure then you admit you were wrong about a fact and attacked UConns education without basis (at least for the post correcting you).

My guess/analysis would be that UConn basketball relies solely on how good a coach Ollie is. He has shown well in his first year and done a respectable job on all counts. The truly telling seasons are likely in year 3 and 4. As for CR board. There are a ton of morons from multiple fan bases who post there. It is a worry to UConn sports outside of basketball, especially because of how new football is. It's much less of a worry for the two basketball programs because of their history. Is it still a concern, sure until Ollie proves himself, even then, at the least it makes things harder than they would be for him to recruit. Being in either the B1G or the ACC would make his job much easier. I can name at least two top ten recruits who cut UConn because of the AAC. Does it mean UConn won't win, who knows. I think they still can, bc they have done so in the past with Calhoun and but a few McDAAs

How can you say we aren't at an elite level? We've won 3 NC's since '99 and in the last 5 years, we've been to 2 FF's and have a 1 NC (to compare to the entire SU history = 3 FF's and 1 NC).

If that isn't elite, what program has been better over the last decade?
we have been to 5 final fours. Learn what you are talking about. '75, '87, '96, '03 and '13. That is more than you.

Sure then you admit you were wrong about a fact and attacked UConns education without basis (at least for the post correcting you).

My guess/analysis would be that UConn basketball relies solely on how good a coach Ollie is. He has shown well in his first year and done a respectable job on all counts. The truly telling seasons are likely in year 3 and 4. As for CR board. There are a ton of morons from multiple fan bases who post there. It is a worry to UConn sports outside of basketball, especially because of how new football is. It's much less of a worry for the two basketball programs because of their history. Is it still a concern, sure until Ollie proves himself, even then, at the least it makes things harder than they would be for him to recruit. Being in either the B1G or the ACC would make his job much easier. I can name at least two top ten recruits who cut UConn because of the AAC. Does it mean UConn won't win, who knows. I think they still can, bc they have done so in the past with Calhoun and but a few McDAAs
If ya mean ollie being one or two, I thought JC missed a lot of that year, but if I remembered that wrong I did. Doesn't change the UConn education or the actual point of the conversation. You seem more realistic than the other guy. But putting the freak out on the CR board on fans of other teams is a tad disingenuous. I'm trying to repeat... but this part will be. You can hope to remain at a Butler level mid-major. UMass level is a realistic but worst case scenario. But elite status without a conf change is done.

And since this has turned into a broken record I'll stop my contribution to the repetition. Good luck in the ACK boys.

In terms of BE Championships? UCONN.
you do know that since the big east started, we have about a 40 game lead on you on the all time big east record, don't you? I know the other members of the by don't know that, however. They all think college hoop started in 1990. It didn't. sdhusky, you are passionate about your school and that is great. But do you ever ask yourself why no major conference wants you? And before you say B.C. kept you out..they didn't. No one listened to flipper. College basketball changed forever in 1979-80- when the big east came about. It made a national player out of schools that had never even dreamed of final fours. Not us, we had already gone to one. But the Hall went to a final four. And Calhoun lifted UConn to great heights. However, college sports, basketball included, changed forever with all of this CR. And for the schools on the outside looking in, it will get worse and worse. I thank God that we are on the inside. And if it wasn't for posters like Mau and upstater, I would have been pulling for you guys. But now, any time I see our good dr., I encourage him to forget about uconn. Your fellow boneyarders have big mouths. And while they don't realize it, they have hurt the school they profess to love. Your problems weren't flipper at B.C.. Your problems were much closer.

you do know that since the big east started, we have about a 40 game lead on you on the all time big east record, don't you? I know the other members of the by don't know that, however. They all think college hoop started in 1990. It didn't. sdhusky, you are passionate about your school and that is great. But do you ever ask yourself why no major conference wants you? And before you say B.C. kept you out..they didn't. No one listened to flipper. College basketball changed forever in 1979-80- when the big east came about. It made a national player out of schools that had never even dreamed of final fours. Not us, we had already gone to one. But the Hall went to a final four. And Calhoun lifted UConn to great heights. However, college sports, basketball included, changed forever with all of this CR. And for the schools on the outside looking in, it will get worse and worse. I thank God that we are on the inside. And if it wasn't for posters like Mau and upstater, I would have been pulling for you guys. But now, any time I see our good dr., I encourage him to forget about uconn. Your fellow boneyarders have big mouths. And while they don't realize it, they have hurt the school they profess to love. Your problems weren't flipper at B.C.. Your problems were much closer.
This is pretty accurate. I don't want to hate UConn, but your fans make it hard to even want to have a respectable rivalry. Syracuse may have lobbied for Louisville over UConn, but it was Florida State and Clemson flexing their political capital that made the difference. SU-UConn isn't like WVU-Pitt,Texas-Texas A&M or Kansas-Missouri where they hate each other and should continue playing. UConn was not anything more than a real good team we played I didn't grow up hating UConn and my mom was an SU alum. I grew up hating Georgetown Basketball and Miami Football. Good luck, and dream B1G because that is what your fanbase has to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: caw
If ya mean ollie being one or two, I thought JC missed a lot of that year, but if I remembered that wrong I did. Doesn't change the UConn education or the actual point of the conversation. You seem more realistic than the other guy. But putting the freak out on the CR board on fans of other teams is a tad disingenuous. I'm trying to repeat... but this part will be. You can hope to remain at a Butler level mid-major. UMass level is a realistic but worst case scenario. But elite status without a conf change is done.

Wasn't putting the freak solely on others, def a lot of UConn fans included but other fans participating has def added to it and kept it around, or at least helped keep it around.

I really don't care about UConn education jokes, true or not. I just thought it was funny based on the rest of your post. It's like calling somewhat out for grammar while misusing "your".

Butler seems to be a poor comparison though, UNLV or Memphis would be more apt. I personally think UConn could be those on juice. Sure UConn could drop to UMass levels or maybe Holy Cross. My reply is that even though UNC and Duke exist, so does BC, Miami and VaTech. Point being? Well a lot depends on how well ADs are run and how well future coaching is for both Cuse and UConn. BCs AD ran their program into the ground and though I doubt that happens at SU, it could. On the flip side neither Butler, nor UNLV not Memphis have the financial backing UConn does, not the recent history. For my money I think Pitt probably has more of a chance of being BCish. Basically it all comes down to Ollie for UConn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom