UConn Beat Writer Says UConn Looking to Schedule SU | Syracusefan.com

UConn Beat Writer Says UConn Looking to Schedule SU

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
They are really late to the table with this; SU already has agreements in place with Nova, St John's and Georgetown.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens on this front. With 3 games against former BE schools, the ACC-B1G challenge and the annual preseason tournament SU plays in, there isn't a lot of room for another tough game on the schedule, especially one that requirements playing in an area Syracuse historically does not recruit.

But the alums in the NE area would appreciate it. If it happens, I would think it would be a 1-1-1 deal like Georgetown, with the 3rd game in MSG.

Linkage

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17407-1371082401-15.gif

It is not going to happen as a home/home MAYBE as a possible occasional MSG or Barclay's game, but not beyond that. UConn can schedule Providence College home/home if they want to play their biggest Big East rival.​

As impressed as I am with UConn and the success of their basketball team over the past however many years, they can go pound salt. Their arrogant fan base just makes me hope they die a slow, agonizing death and fade into mid-major mediocrity sooner rather than later.

'We got 3 Championships!' Yeah, yeah you do but you know what? Without Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, etc., you wouldn't have had one, yet I've never seen or heard one of their fans acknowledge that. All the original BE teams constantly give credit to the others for the success of the league but UConn...nope. They did it all themselves. In fact did you know that the sport of basketball was invented in Storrs by a guy named Calhoun? According to them it was.

Don't believe me? Ask them. UConn is THE most successful hoops program in the BE. The program that DEFINED the BE. The program the whole country thinks of and points to when discussing BE hoops. Not Syracuse, Not Georgetown, Not St. John's.

But maybe I'm wrong and bitter. In ten years let's see if 'the whole country' is saying the same thing about Husky Hoops and the 'ACK! Conference. Somehow I think they won't be.

Eat me UConn. Maybe St. Bonaventure or Marist will take you up on your home-and -home offer.

Seriously, 'em.
Unless, in a couple years (when they will have sunk to utter obscurity), they want to be one of the pre-conference patsies (think Fordham, Colgate, et al) that come to the dome to collect a paycheck after getting shellacked.

Seriously, 'em.
Unless, in a couple years (when they will have sunk to utter obscurity), they want to be one of the pre-conference patsies (think Fordham, Colgate, et al) that come to the dome to collect a paycheck after getting shellacked.

Ooh, now that I'd like.

No need to play them. They need us, we don't need them. We play in a great conference and play some great OOC games. Don't need them for SOS, don't need them for recruiting, don't need them for diddly. They can't say the same. Why help legitimize them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As impressed as I am with UConn and the success of their basketball team over the past however many years, they can go pound salt. Their arrogant fan base just makes me hope they die a slow, agonizing death and fade into mid-major mediocrity sooner rather than later.

'We got 3 Championships!' Yeah, yeah you do but you know what? Without Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, etc., you wouldn't have had one, yet I've never seen or heard one of their fans acknowledge that. All the original BE teams constantly give credit to the others for the success of the league but UConn...nope. They did it all themselves. In fact did you know that the sport of basketball was invented in Storrs by a guy named Calhoun? According to them it was.

Don't believe me? Ask them. UConn is THE most successful hoops program in the BE. The program that DEFINED the BE. The program the whole country thinks of and points to when discussing BE hoops. Not Syracuse, Not Georgetown, Not St. John's.

And this is why we should only schedule these teams OOC. I'm still hoping UConn can stay relevant and have a shot at #16 in the ACC (assuming PSU, Texas, WVU are off the table), but for now, Georgetown, Nova, St. John's and BC gives us all of the NE coverage we need. Absolutely nothing to gain by playing UConn.

Now, if we meet in some pre-season tourney that's okay. But I wouldn't outright schedule them if I were JB.

Cheers,
Neil

They are really late to the table with this; SU already has agreements in place with Nova, St John's and Georgetown.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens on this front. With 3 games against former BE schools, the ACC-B1G challenge and the annual preseason tournament SU plays in, there isn't a lot of room for another tough game on the schedule, especially one that requirements playing in an area Syracuse historically does not recruit.

But the alums in the NE area would appreciate it. If it happens, I would think it would be a 1-1-1 deal like Georgetown, with the 3rd game in MSG.

Linkage

Why would anyone want to go see a game in middle of nowhere CT rather than at MSG? If they want to play us, we should only do a home game or at the Garden. No reason to ever travel to Storrs or Hartford again.

And this is why we should only schedule these teams OOC. I'm still hoping UConn can stay relevant and have a shot at #16 in the ACC (assuming PSU, Texas, WVU are off the table), but for now, Georgetown, Nova, St. John's and BC gives us all of the NE coverage we need. Absolutely nothing to gain by playing UConn.

Now, if we meet in some pre-season tourney that's okay. But I wouldn't outright schedule them if I were JB.

Cheers,
Neil

Not me. I'd much rather have someone else - like Maryland (who is still not really out of the ACC), or maybe Penn State, on the long shot that Notre Dame is forced to join full time someday.

I'm 30, so when I truly started to become emotionally invested in SU hoops around age 11 or 12 is right around the time Georgetown took a step back and UConn became a national power. Over the past 20 years, UConn has been better than us more often than we have been better than them. That, combined with the fact that I just despise Calhoun, resulted in UConn basketball being my most hated team in all of sports.

Now, I feel like we are unquestionably the stronger program. That is precisely the reason I want to play them every year. I am confident that we can own them on the court.

Having them just disappear is boring to me. MSG and the Dome are electric when we play each other. We watch college basketball to be entertained and Cuse UConn games are entertaining as hell.

Here is the deal: 1 at the Dome, 1 in Hartford and 1 at MSG. We should not play at Storz...only in Hartford so our CT based fans can get to the game.

Sign them up for a one 3 game series. See what happens. Not sold on playing them long term. I put GTown, SJU and Nova above them in desirability.

Would only want to play them at MSG to remind them how much stronger our fans in the City are. But other than that no real desire. Let them whither on the vine.

I'm clearly in the minority on this one, but I would love to continue to play UConn every single year.

Why, for recruiting?

We used to have quite a rivalry with St. Bonaventure, too.

I'm 30, so when I truly started to become emotionally invested in SU hoops around age 11 or 12 is right around the time Georgetown took a step back and UConn became a national power. Over the past 20 years, UConn has been better than us more often than we have been better than them. That, combined with the fact that I just despise Calhoun, resulted in UConn basketball being my most hated team in all of sports.

Now, I feel like we are unquestionably the stronger program. That is precisely the reason I want to play them every year. I am confident that we can own them on the court.

Having them just disappear is boring to me. MSG and the Dome are electric when we play each other. We watch college basketball to be entertained and Cuse UConn games are entertaining as hell.

UMass once used to be a really good program. Providence, too. And Seton Hall, and St. John's. The trend line is only going one way on this one, and that's the direction we want it to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom