UConn: Better TV market, better educated demographics | Syracusefan.com

UConn: Better TV market, better educated demographics

Best insurance industry, best access to saltwater, best political candidacy by a former pro wrestling executive, best husky mascot east of the Mississippi...

That maybe but there Athletics are a mess outside of womens bball and no offense to anyone but no one cares about that. Right now the conference needs a team that is relevant in college football and can help ease the anxiety of FSU, Clemson, VaTech. That team is Louisville.

Their men's basketball program will be just fine. They've won three national titles in the last 15 years.

Their Olympic sports are top notch.

Louisville has been a good football program for a brief time. Charley Strong leaves and who knows what happens. It's not like the ACC would be adding Michigan for football. Hey, we crushed them this year with a .500 team.

Tell Florida State and the rest of the high and mighty football programs from the ACC that we're replacing UConn football with Maryland football. Even swap. I guess Edsall must have known the Terps were leaving for the B1G. Otherwise, not sure why he left UConn.

Their men's basketball program will be just fine. They've won three national titles in the last 15 years.

Louisville has been a good football program for a brief time. Charley Strong leaves and who knows what happens. It's not like the ACC would be adding Michigan for football. Hey, we crushed them this year with a .500 team.

Tell Florida State and the rest of the high and mighty football programs from the ACC that we're replacing UConn football with Maryland football. Even swap. I guess Edsall must have known the Terps were leaving for the B1G. Otherwise, not sure why he left UConn.

There is a better chance of Lville becoming Va Tech Part 2 then there is of Uconn football becoming a national power. I am sure there bball will recover but in the meantime you have Lville baskeball in the top 10, top 15 football program (this year) and I believe a pretty good baseball program. Not sure what Uconn really adds at this point.

It's funny that Rutgers biggest (if only) selling point is its location, and UConn's biggest disadvantage may be its location.

I love living in CT, it's a great little state with a lot to do, great schools, and good people. But it's wedged in between two massive media markets in NYC and Boston. We just get overlooked.

You could argue that in addition to the Hartford-New Haven market there is opportunity in Fairfield County (where I live, which is part of the NYC DMA) and even into part of the Springfield, MA DMA. That gives you close to 1.5 million TV homes.

But if this is about appeasing the football schools of the ACC, UConn ain't going to cut it.

Louisville has a better BBall program. Louisville has much better Olympic sports. Louisville has a better FB program and hasn't been as good under Strong as they were under Petrino. Louisville has a bigger fanbase and more rabid fanbase. Louisville has better institutional support. Louisville has more potential. Louisville is Southern. if Louisville were a Top 100 school this wouldn't even be a discussion as they blow UConn away.

best husky mascot east of the Mississippi...

Victor E. Huskie would like a word.

victor-e.jpg

Louisville has a better BBall program. Louisville has much better Olympic sports. Louisville has a better FB program and hasn't been as good under Strong as they were under Petrino. Louisville has a bigger fanbase and more rabid fanbase. Louisville has better institutional support. Louisville has more potential. Louisville is Southern. if Louisville were a Top 100 school this wouldn't even be a discussion as they blow UConn away.
Better Olympic sports? I want some proof.
Louisville is Southern. Exactly. One of the reasons I don't want them. The league is already top heavy with southern schools. I want some balance.

I disagree that Louisville has a much better basketball program. They haven't one a NC since the 80s.

And you're also overlooking the UConn women's program.

Good points to consider. The ACC will need to get ESPN's take on the market size comparison. UConn is clearly the better academically.

But in addition to that, I think the ACC should consider home football and road football game attendance, particularly to bowl games. We have a lot of schools that frankly don't travel to these games, whether it be the championship game or a bowl game (i.e. not to single one out because there are others, but Boston College is one). If either Louisville or Connecticut is better in this area, I think it should be considered. I'm not from the Big East, so I don't know how they compare.

The Atlanta folks were disappointed in NC State for not well attending that opening game in Atlanta against Tennessee this year. Clemson pulled their weight against Auburn though. NC State usually does well. Don't know what happened there. But to ever change some of the ACC's perception, we need to add teams that put butts in seats on the road if we can.

There is a better chance of Lville becoming Va Tech Part 2 then there is of Uconn football becoming a national power. I am sure there bball will recover but in the meantime you have Lville baskeball in the top 10, top 15 football program (this year) and I believe a pretty good baseball program. Not sure what Uconn really adds at this point.
Jeremy, I think this is as good as Louisville gets. BTW, UConn has a pretty good baseball program.

Good points to consider. The ACC will need to get ESPN's take on the market size comparison. UConn is clearly the better academically.

But in addition to that, I think the ACC should consider home football and road football game attendance, particularly to bowl games. We have a lot of schools that frankly don't travel to these games, whether it be the championship game or a bowl game (i.e. not to single one out because there are others, but Boston College is one). If either Louisville or Connecticut is better in this area, I think it should be considered. I'm not from the Big East, so I don't know how they compare.

The Atlanta folks were disappointed in NC State for not well attending that opening game in Atlanta against Tennessee this year. Clemson pulled their weight against Auburn though. NC State usually does well. Don't know what happened there. But to ever change some of the ACC's perception, we need to add teams that put butts in seats on the road if we can.
That perception won't change with Pitt, SU or BC. None of them travel well to bowls. And neither does UConn. Just the same, the B1G will be disappointed with Rutgers and Maryland. Only Penn State travels well to bowls among Northeast schools.

Except no one actually watches UConn football. This is why I think the Big 10 (or the people on the other side of the TV contract, depending on how dumb they are) is stupid for taking rutgers. Plain and simple, no one in Connecticut, NJ, MA, VT or any other northeast state gives a about college football. Or if they do care, its because they went to some midwest or southeast school with a good program and re-located to nyc or boston for a job. But those people could care less about the local program. I remember writing something about this years ago on why I thought the big east was ultimately doomed - a northeast based conference simply wont cut it because of the region's affinity for the pro's instead of college.

I think Louisville has shown a lot more upside than Uconn in terms of its football and while the market isn't the most desirable, what will keep the big boys in the conference will be tough competition - UL can provide that, UConn is a doormat.

Bottomline...if Swofford and the 4-4-4 committee did their due diligence they should have schools lined up already to replace defections. There better be some invite(s) going out within 24 hrs.

Better Olympic sports? I want some proof.
Louisville is Southern. Exactly. One of the reasons I don't want them. The league is already top heavy with southern schools. I want some balance.

I disagree that Louisville has a much better basketball program. They haven't one a NC since the 80s.

And you're also overlooking the UConn women's program.

Director's Cup standings
2011-12 UL 32 UConn 61
2010-11 UL 34 UConn 44
2009-10 UL 41 UConn 62
2008-09 UL 32 UConn 52

BBall UL is better and been around longer. UConn has more titles but Fla has more than SU does that make them better?

If the SEC is any indicator, can we have a lesser educated demographic please?

Director's Cup standings
2011-12 UL 32 UConn 61
2010-11 UL 34 UConn 44
2009-10 UL 41 UConn 62
2008-09 UL 32 UConn 52

BBall UL is better and been around longer. UConn has more titles but Fla has more than SU does that make them better?

Thanks. Good research.

UConn's national titles.

• Men's Basketball - 1999, 2004, 2011
  • Men's Soccer - 1948, 1981, 2000
  • Women's Basketball - 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010
  • Women's Field Hockey - 1981, 1985

Thanks. Good research.

UConn's national titles.

• Men's Basketball - 1999, 2004, 2011
  • Men's Soccer - 1948, 1981, 2000
  • Women's Basketball - 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010
  • Women's Field Hockey - 1981, 1985
Please save us the Woman's basketball and filed hockey nonsense. No one outside of their parents care about field hockey. And woman's hoop, no one outside of Uconn and maybe tenn care about that. UConn is better at academics and that should matter some but it probably doesn't. If FSU cares more for Louisville, that is good enough for me. What difference does it really make to us?

cuseguy, I've decided that I'm buying you and Barney a house in the greater Lexington/Louisville area. Just make sure if the IRS asks, that I live there one week per year (need the tax break).

You'll love it. The horses to bet on, the sundresses, the college hoops, and to a lesser extent the college football.

You're the last man standing who's all in on UConn. This is my attempt at fixing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That perception won't change with Pitt, SU or BC. None of them travel well to bowls. And neither does UConn. Just the same, the B1G will be disappointed with Rutgers and Maryland. Only Penn State travels well to bowls among Northeast schools.

Maryland is fickle. I know them. When Ralph Friegen had them winning, they travelled well to the Orange and Chick Fil A Bowls. Now they can't even fill their the stadium for home games.

cuseguy, I've decided that I'm buying you and Barney a house in the greater Lexington/Louisville area. Just make sure if the IRS asks, that I live there one week per year (need the tax break).

You'll love it. The horses to bet on, the sundresses, the college hoops, and to a lesser extent the college football.

You're the last man standing who's all in on UConn. This is my attempt at fixing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it doesn't matter who the ACC adds because FSU is locked in regardless, then I'm all in on UConn too.

But that's because I can be at The Rent in 45 minutes.

I'm selfish like that.

Please save us the Woman's basketball and filed hockey nonsense. No one outside of their parents care about field hockey. And woman's hoop, no one outside of Uconn and maybe tenn care about that. UConn is better at academics and that should matter some but it probably doesn't. If FSU cares more for Louisville, that is good enough for me. What difference does it really make to us?

We were comparing Olympic sports. KingOtto did some research and made a good case for Louisville in that regard. It's just a small part of it, but a part nonetheless.

Hey, personally, I really don't care what Florida State thinks. If we're riding all our hopes on what Florida State thinks, then maybe we don't belong in the ACC or a league that thinks football is all that matters. FSU really has accomplished much of anything in basketball. Maybe they need to work on that a little.

If it doesn't matter who the ACC adds because FSU is locked in regardless, then I'm all in on UConn too.

But that's because I can be at The Rent in 45 minutes.

I'm selfish like that.

Just wait until the Navy talk heats up (arb keeps floating it, I'm going to encourage him). I'll go from being the most annoying guy on the board to the most annoying guy on the board. X 1000.