UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion | Syracusefan.com

UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion

What are they going to do with their football program? It would be great for them and the BE for basketball.

What are they going to do with their football program? It would be great for them and the BE for basketball.

Where can they go?

MAC or C-USA?

The MAC booted UMass for not becoming a full member. Staying in the AAC would be best for their football, but I don't know if they'd allow them to take out their other sports. Conference USA maybe?

I think if they want to stay in big time basketball this is a move they have to make. Their football program is barely on life support and will likely never be better than a middle of the pack G5 team. Sacrifice the football team to appease the basketball gods. No brainer in my opinion.

If UConn does this they are begging Fox to help them with the Big Ten.

UConn would be killing their football team. No chance the American would let them being a FB only.

UConn would be killing their football team. No chance the American would let them being a FB only.
No chance. What would be it in it for the ACC?

Makes great sense if they want to keep their men's hoops program at a top 25 level. Their hoops and football are having a major decline in AAC. Put the football program in a conference like MAC. I'm not sure what the Big East gains from it though they already have a number of good and high profile teams.

UConn turns a profit on basketball and loses money on football, according to this: The financial impact of championship basketball.

So it would make a lot of sense for them to make basketball-first decisions even in a football-dominated landscape. Quite simply, this may be the only way to save their basketball program as a perennial top-25, and there's no way to do much with their football program. In fact, I'd argue their football program would be more exciting to fans/alums/students competing at a lower level and might be better off financially, too. If you were a fan, would you rather watch a football team struggle to make meaningless bowl games in the AAC with basically no hope of ever making a BCS bowl, or make the playoffs as an FCS program?

At least in the ACC, if we manage a one or two year golden window, we can make a BCS game if we take care of business in-conference.

No league would take Huskies FB without their basketball programs.

I really can't see any scenario where the Big Ten would take them.

IMO the Big East would be a solid move for them. In reality, they would be better off with a DII football team using the Villanova model. Football is literally crippling them and it's starting to weigh on the (men's) basketball program.

The smartest thing the new Big East did was not take UConn. The old Big East was destroyed because they had to accommodate members with high D-1 football aspirations. They don't need to add any schools that would be looking for a better place to go on the first day they joined the conference.

The smart thing for uconn to do is to drop back down to FCS in football and join the Big East in basketball. No brainer imo.

Is there really much of a difference between the AAC and FCS from a fan perspective anyway? I'm not even joking. A few more games you have to watch on ESPN3? Big whoop. I find the FCS tournament pretty exciting, personally. Better than one meaningless bowl game against Troy.

The smart thing for uconn to do is to drop back down to FCS in football and join the Big East in basketball. No brainer imo.

Is there really much of a difference between the AAC and FCS from a fan perspective anyway? I'm not even joking. A few more games you have to watch on ESPN3? Big whoop. I find the FCS tournament pretty exciting, personally. Better than one meaningless bowl game against Troy.
What league is going to take their football program?

Well, joining the Patriot league would bring that league to 8 for football. Win-win. ;)
Would that league (or any other) take any UConn team without their basketball programs?

Would that league (or any other) take any UConn team without their basketball programs?
I'm sure they could strong-arm Lafayette and Bucknell. Maybe a 2 for 1 offer? :D

Well, joining the Patriot league would bring that league to 8 for football. Win-win. ;)
They may be saving that spot for Hopkins if they're ever forced to go full D-1 to keep MLax in D-1.

And the Big East would want them because? So the small Catholic schools could again be dominated by a state school with far more resources and bigger fan base?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom