UConn cancels football season | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

You all should be thrilled that we have what looks to be the worst FBS team on our schedule 4 seasons in the near future after losing at home to Liberty. There is noone easier and we will have more fans than them for the road games.

Umass doesn't care about Umass football. CousCuse, you should head to Southwest dorms at Amherst with a sandwich board and try and recruit the frosh. They can call you Cous Quijote.

I wish Uconn well if it's truly the end of their football program. We may laugh, snicker and point but I hate seeing the likes of Northeastern, BU, and Uconn go away in football. I suspect Holy Cross and Colgate are on their last legs if this is thematic. The old eastern 1AA teams were where kids from my highschool went to play if they were incredible hockomock players (Ryan LaCasse was the exception).
I don’t think either Colgate or the College of the Holy Cross drop football. I’m fairly certain that both are well heeled - at least ‘Gate is - and if be amazed if either looked at the sport as a real money maker. My guess is that they see it like the Ivy League schools do. It’s a testament to a rich tradition and strong student athletes when they’re good, and it’s an affirmation of academic priorities when they’re bad. Either way, it’s a marketing tool, regardless of who (if anyone) is in the stands.

Last edited:
I don’t Colgate or the College of the Holy Cross drop football. I’m fairly certain that both are well heeled - at least ‘Gate is - and if be amazed if either looked at the sport as a real money maker. My guess is that they see it like the Ivy League schools do. It’s a testament to a rich tradition and strong student athletes when they’re good, and it’s an affirmation of academic priorities when they’re bad. Either way, it’s a marketing tool, regardless of who (if anyone) is in the stands.
Yeah I just went to a colgate game last year. Fun game with lots of support from the community.

I want to say they had just upgraded their scoreboard last year too. It was really nice.

Yeah I just went to a colgate game last year. Fun game with lots of support from the community.

I want to say they had just upgraded their scoreboard last year too. It was really nice.

‘yeah I think Colgate football as well as Colgate the school are very strong right now. They have put a ton of money into facilities the past 5-6 years. Who knows with pandemic stuff but up until then..

Exactly. They also have good TV coverage even if they don't get much $$$ from it.

I do not see them winning much but who knows. Maybe the MAC lets them and Umass join or both go to the AAC for FB only. Most realistic way of getting in a conference is them Army Liberty join up with a couple FCS schools who want to step up. Those 4 with Nova, JMU, UNH, and URI would work.

Uconn deserve the spot they are in for blocking Umass from the AAC.
The MAC pushed UMass football out because UMass wasn't all-in with its other sports. The MAC and the AAC both don't want football-only. Navy is an exception. I don't think UConn blocked UMass from anything. I think regional rivalries are great for the schools and the fans and to me, trying to protect your region from competition is sad (BC), but that's another discussion, beaten to death.

The MAC pushed UMass football out because UMass wasn't all-in with its other sports. The MAC and the AAC both don't want football-only. Navy is an exception. I don't think UConn blocked UMass from anything. I think regional rivalries are great for the schools and the fans and to me, trying to protect your region from competition is sad (BC), but that's another discussion, beaten to death.
Agreed. You can't use the Service Academies as examples when comparing to other schools. They're special. As they should be.

Agree with your other points.

Liberty is ranked #22 right now.
Liberty is very intriguing. It was only founded in 1971 and is pouring money into everything very quickly. Of course it wants to be like ND and BYU and it might just get there.

Liberty is very intriguing. It was only founded in 1971 and is pouring money into everything very quickly. Of course it wants to be like ND and BYU and it might just get there.

2-3 years and they will be a power.

In Athletics, maybe. But they’re far, far, far more likely to end up looking like Louisville than Notre Dame in terms of overall university.

If they can't get Texas for the ACC, my pipe dream would be Penn State leaving the Big 10 and rearranging the divisions along more traditional NE football and Southeastern football lines.
Absent that, the next best choice, from my perspective, would be the Navy / Georgetown hybrid model. Great name for basketball, and one of Notre Dame's signature football opponents. That would be a win-win, if you can't get Texas or Penn State.

I know that SWC also brings this up from time to time. But just imagine this football league:

North:
Notre Dame
U Miami. (What a rivalry they used to have!)
Penn State
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Pitt
Boston College
Navy

South:
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest

The rivalries would be SO much better! Please please please.
NEVER the hybrid model, ND being the exception for football -- all in for everything else. Hybrid is what doomed the oBE, schools with different views and goals.

Liberty is ranked #22 right now.

WHat were your thoughts on LIberty a year ago?

My guess is a bottom 22 FBS team even though the game at their place was somewhat competitive.

NEVER the hybrid model, ND being the exception for football -- all in for everything else. Hybrid is what doomed the oBE, schools with different views and goals.
It works for places like the MAC. They have 13 affiliate schools that only play like one specific sport

I believe there is another great restructuring coming in CFB. A little clearer upper division, as well as a secondary division, and then FCS and the rest. Too much money involved to keep the status who.

UConn was the runner up to Louisville.
Which is why I said UConn.
Louisville had relationships with FSU and VPI from the old Metro conference.

That helped motivate FSU to push for Louisville. I am unaware where FSU stands on UCF they were against USF but not sure UCF.
Your “favorite” SU AD (ha, ha) also pushed for them. ;)

Your “favorite” SU AD (ha, ha) also pushed for them. ;)
I actually liked Dr. Gross every time I emailed him he responded to me and was a nice man. He did a poor job managing football and spending in the AD. However he was a good man.

Dr. Gross backed Louisville over UConn the reason why is probably because he backed Boston College who didn’t want another New England team and he wanted to appease Florida State and Clemson who loud that they didn’t want UConn.
UConn was supported by Duke, Wake, North Carolina.

Louisville was supported by Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Miami and Syracuse.

Pitt, NC State, Virginia their votes are unknown. But UVA is thought to support whatever UNC thinks.
Pitt and NC State nobody knows.

UConn wasn’t close to getting the majority. UNC and Duke didn’t have the votes.

I respectfully disagree. The BE didn’t fail because of the hybrid model. It failed because it was a basketball conference, and the money shifted to football.

The conference was a waiting room for Tech and Miami, who both always wanted an ACC invite, and there aren’t/weren’t enough marketable teams once they left to keep the conference attractive vis-a-vis the other power conferences.

The ACC is stronger with ND. The B1G is (marginally) stronger with JHU (lax - their only DI sport) and U of Chicago in the CIC, the BIG EAST is stronger with UConn, and so on.

Hybrids can work. Bad luck and a lack of vision doesn’t.

I respectfully disagree. The BE didn’t fail because of the hybrid model. It failed because it was a basketball conference, and the money shifted to football.

The conference was a waiting room for Tech and Miami, who both always wanted an ACC invite, and there aren’t/weren’t enough marketable teams once they left to keep the conference attractive vis-a-vis the other power conferences.

The ACC is stronger with ND. The B1G is (marginally) stronger with JHU (lax - their only DI sport) and U of Chicago in the CIC, the BIG EAST is stronger with UConn, and so on.

Hybrids can work. Bad luck and a lack of vision doesn’t.
The hybrid model with differing goals kept Penn State out of the oBE. I believe they were kept out by one vote. The negative votes supposedly were all from the Catholic 7. That one vote arguably changed the landscape of college football in the future.

The hybrid model with differing goals kept Penn State out of the oBE. I believe they were kept out by one vote. The negative votes supposedly were all from the Catholic 7. That one vote arguably changed the landscape of college football in the future.

1. The three negative votes were Georgetown, St Johns, and Villanova. PSU needed 6 votes, the final tally was 5-3.

2. PSU was being invited for Basketball and Olympic Sports only. NOT Football.

3. PSU's inclusion means that Pitt never gets an invite. Basketball schools still outnumber football schools 6-3.

4. PSU still leaves for the B1G and more TV $$$ when the opportunity arises.

A desire to be good at basketball kept Penn State out. The conference was a basketball conference. It wasn’t even a hybrid conference then.

And, had basketball stayed where it was vis-a-via football, the BE would have been fine. But the world changed.

The hybrid setup bought the conference more time, but it wasn’t a permanent solution fir either VT or Miami. Tech may not have been a huge name before the later 90’s, but Miami was. Then Tech got big, and those schools + the surviving traditional eastern powers (less the Cult) were a market so package. However, that package began to fail once it took big hits from losing Miami, VT, and BC (to a lesser degree - but they had a decent run of being pretty good).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom