UConn cancels football season | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

Liberty has $$$$$$$$$$$
We beat UMASS no question
I admire your dying on the UMASS hill no matter what

Liberty could/should have had their entire team transfer out this summer considering who their leadership is and the social climate and current events.

Instead they got a transfer QB better than anyone in the ACC not on ND or Clemson. You highlighted why they are good but they might have gone from outside the top 100 to top 25 in a single year. But of all the years for them to do that 2020 is a head scratcher.

That aint happening in Connecticut. They were a perfect cupcake. Its a fun away game because their fans hate us there is some buzz in the stands. 5 wins would have been better but 4 was fine.

I'm glad you chose Peter Falk as your avatar for this board, a great Syracuse Alum. I'm sure as Columbo he could put the clues together and come up with the answer: No mas Huskie football.
I did not know that Peter Falk was an SU Alum. I won't hold it against him, he was probably there back when the warriors football actually had winning records. Nah, even taking the conference realignment shaft won't hold hold these dogs down.

I did not know that Peter Falk was an SU Alum. I won't hold it against him, he was probably there back when the warriors football actually had winning records. Nah, even taking the conference realignment shaft won't hold hold these dogs down.
Well, good luck to you and your Huskies.

Got this from another board about UConn folding the football program. Unsubstantiated at the moment, but seems legit:

One of my former players is playing for the Huskies. I was speaking with his dad last night and he told me that with UConn's basketball team changing conferences that it essentially leaves the football program with nowhere to play.

He then said that while the school is not publicly saying anything yet, it is pretty much a done deal and there are a lot of players already planning their transfers come January. Including his son. He is upset because his son chose Uconn over other offers at Umass and Illinois in 2019 and it will now be harder to find a school where he will have a chance to play.

I will say these rumors about UConn underscore how dumb we were when we gave them a 2-2 series in football.
You don’t give mid-majors 2-2 series.
It was dumb. We won’t have to pay a buyout if they cancel their program.

thanks Herm

even dumber were the people here defending it.

thank the lord for covid, i had forgotten about that.

now hopefully we wont have to worry about that embarrassing series.

There is a strain of husky that unfortunately is in the DNA of some of the admins.

A conference realignment thread? Is this 2012?!

Man, do I wish it was 2012.

Back when delusional idiots really believed jokers like Clay Travis, Frank the Tank, and the Dude from WV actually had the ear of college presidents

True. The ACC wanted Syracuse to be a member for decades before it finally happened.

Back to UConn. I am kind of surprised UConn is giving up on football now, when it looks like there is a real chance ND might decide they like playing in a football conference and finally commit to playing in the ACC as a full member.

If UConn drops football, ND joins the ACC and someone, say WVU or Cincinnati. Is picked as the 16th (and final) member of the ACC shortly afterwards, can you imagine the outcry from UConn fans?

If ND does decide to become a full time member, I do not expect the ACC to pick a 16th member right away. There is no hurry. I think it would be prudent to wait a while and see how things develop in the B12 (which might implode when their GOR expires on June 30th 2025). At that point, Texas and West Virginia might be available. UCF. Cincinnati. Temple and the Navy/Georgetown hybrid option would all be looked at as well.

I think the admins at UConn are realizing now that even if the ACC added a 16th member, the chances UConn would be picked are very remote. Add in COVID and how much it is costing college athletic departments and it seems insane to continue to lost $30 million dollars a year in the hopes ND will join full time and UConn will get invited too.

If they can't get Texas for the ACC, my pipe dream would be Penn State leaving the Big 10 and rearranging the divisions along more traditional NE football and Southeastern football lines.
Absent that, the next best choice, from my perspective, would be the Navy / Georgetown hybrid model. Great name for basketball, and one of Notre Dame's signature football opponents. That would be a win-win, if you can't get Texas or Penn State.

I know that SWC also brings this up from time to time. But just imagine this football league:

North:
Notre Dame
U Miami. (What a rivalry they used to have!)
Penn State
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Pitt
Boston College
Navy

South:
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest

The rivalries would be SO much better! Please please please.

Last edited:
If they can't get Texas for the ACC, my pipe dream would be Penn State leaving the Big 10 and rearranging the divisions along more traditional NE football and Southeastern football lines.
Absent that, the next best choice, from my perspective, would be the Navy / Georgetown hybrid model. Great name for basketball, and one of Notre Dame's signature football opponents. That would be a win-win, if you can't get Texas or Penn State.

I know that SWC also brings this up from time to time. But just imagine this football league:

North:
Notre Dame
U Miami. (What a rivalry they used to have!)
Penn State
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Pitt
Boston College
Navy

South:
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest

The rivalries would be SO much better! Please please please.
You forgot Georgia Tech.

If the Big Ten didn’t add Rutgers and Maryland then Penn State were thought to be a possibility but the academics of the Big Ten were the biggest problem.

Only when it's one of our own. ;)
#$&+@! I thought we were only shooting our wounded. Now we shoot our own messengers, too? Getting messy in here. Don't tell CuseLegacy.

Back to the topic:
If the Connecticut Puppies want to play big boy football, they need to up their game. Going indy was not the right direction. Stepping back to D2 is probably the best they can do. If they want to quit football altogether, it will save tens of millions of dollars annually. If I were a Connecticut taxpayer, that is s what I would demand.

#$&+@! I thought we were only shooting our wounded. Now we shoot our own messengers, too? Getting messy in here. Don't tell CuseLegacy.

Back to the topic:
If the Connecticut Puppies want to play big boy football, they need to up their game. Going indy was not the right direction. Stepping back to D2 is probably the best they can do. If they want to quit football altogether, it will save tens of millions of dollars annually. If I were a Connecticut taxpayer, that is s what I would demand.
UConn's athletic department problems have little to do with football as they are trying to compete in other sports as if they are a P5. Until recently, they funded 22 sports vs 18 at Syracuse and many of those sports like field hockey and soccer they are funding to compete for national championships.

UCONN already has a dozen high paying games booked. They can probably make it as an independent. Dropping to FCS is probably not a realistic option.

UCONN already has a dozen high paying games booked. They can probably make it as an independent. Dropping to FCS is probably not a realistic option.

Exactly. They also have good TV coverage even if they don't get much $$$ from it.

I do not see them winning much but who knows. Maybe the MAC lets them and Umass join or both go to the AAC for FB only. Most realistic way of getting in a conference is them Army Liberty join up with a couple FCS schools who want to step up. Those 4 with Nova, JMU, UNH, and URI would work.

Uconn deserve the spot they are in for blocking Umass from the AAC.

Exactly. They also have good TV coverage even if they don't get much $$$ from it.

I do not see them winning much but who knows. Maybe the MAC lets them and Umass join or both go to the AAC for FB only. Most realistic way of getting in a conference is them Army Liberty join up with a couple FCS schools who want to step up. Those 4 with Nova, JMU, UNH, and URI would work.

And for suing everybody after the first round of realignment. It was foolish and short sighted.

Uconn already left the AAC instead of doing football only so that won’t work. Idk I feel the best choice for them is to go FCS imo. They are too far away for the MAC imo. They don’t bring anything to it for any sports really and just add costs

How is this a bad schedule? IF they aren't terrible its a great schedule.

One road/bye game a year vs a blue blood to pay the bills.

2-3 more blue blood types with 1 game every year in Storrz. (They can do better than us if they offer 2 for 1 series.)

Plenty of P5 schools like Syracuse give you 1 for 1s which are winnable and then you can pick pretty much any G5 school you want for even series everyone needs to schedule. If we didn't sign the 2-2 contract someone else would have come in and taken the 4 easy wins you cry babies.

Umass/Army annually due to proximity.

All games on CBSSN or better.

There is nothing wrong with that at all. Other than it being a ridiculously hard road to 6 wins from where they are now.

Uconn already left the AAC instead of doing football only so that won’t work. Idk I feel the best choice for them is to go FCS imo. They are too far away for the MAC imo. They don’t bring anything to it for any sports really and just add costs

I don't think it was an option to stay in the AAC for football only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom