UConn cancels football season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

Villanova has a better FCS program than UConn did. Have a better geography to recruit from and they didn’t join the BE football conference.

UConn got a golden ticket.
Any FCS football program would take the path UConn was afforded if offered.

I'm not even debating merit of other programs or their success. UNH/Umass also just as justified to have been added to the Big East. Life isn't fair. It's not fair we didn't go to the ACC in 2003 and BC did. I'm not even arguing that.

I'm just saying "that sucks" for the kids at UConn who root for their football team, the players who just got stuck with nowhere to play and probably difficulties transferring, and the administration for building a program from the ashes to get to a bowl game we haven't even achieved in 22 years or so. If you had a bad experience at UConn welcome to the club of hostile environments for fans. Go to Morgantown. That is not exactly the Disney Bubble.

I'm not even debating merit of other programs or their success. UNH/Umass also just as justified to have been added to the Big East. Life isn't fair. It's not fair we didn't go to the ACC in 2003 and BC did. I'm not even arguing that.

I'm just saying "that sucks" for the kids at UConn who root for their football team, the players who just got stuck with nowhere to play and probably difficulties transferring, and the administration for building a program from the ashes to get to a bowl game we haven't even achieved in 22 years or so. If you had a bad experience at UConn welcome to the club of hostile environments for fans. Go to Morgantown. That is not exactly the Disney Bubble.
I went to Morgantown. They aren’t close to as bad as the UConn fans.

UConn fans are a mix of NY/NJ State, and New England arrogance and just stupidity.

They are getting what they deserve.

Villanova has a better FCS program than UConn did. Have a better geography to recruit from and they didn’t join the BE football conference.

UConn got a golden ticket.
Any FCS football program would take the path UConn was afforded if offered.

Louisville won 2 NCs in basketball in the 1980s it didn’t help their football conference. Louisville FB on the field won games became successful and earned their way from CUSA to BE to ACC.

That is what UConn never did.

Nova didn't join because they were not willing to invest and upgrade their football facilities the way UConn.

Back to UConn's statement. I highly doubt they had everyone on board for punting the season. This was the last go round for a number of guys on that roster. This is also not dominoes falling for football. UConn was not going to be competitive at all this season. This was the easy way out while being seen as progressive for putting everyone's health first.

Nova didn't join because they were not willing to invest and upgrade their football facilities the way UConn.

Back to UConn's statement. I highly doubt they had everyone on board for punting the season. This was the last go round for a number of guys on that roster. This is also not dominoes falling for football. UConn was not going to be competitive at all this season. This was the easy way out while being seen as progressive for putting everyone's health first.
Nova could have played games at the Philadelphia Union stadium.

UConn’s stadium isn’t that big either. They don’t fill it up either.

Nova didn’t need a football facility.
Philly has Franklin Field, Philly Eagles stadium and the MLS stadium.

Nova didn’t join the conference because the conference didn’t want another leech using a BCS league to grow its program.

Everyone will love this but this is a tragic set of circumstances for UConn. They are the example of a school that tried to build a major football power in the northeast. It was a success considering they actually got to a Fiesta Bowl and were competitive in the old Big East. I applaud their efforts. Their senator probably put the nail in the coffin when he sued BC, et al and essentially choked them out of an ACC invitation (which they should have gotten had they not sued).

I feel bad for my UConn friends who actually had a ton of school spirit associated with this football program.

This is bad news for the northeast football machinery.

I do feel bad for their fans as much as I "hate" them. But the Northeast can't support that many teams. One less mouth to feed has helped us get back to relevance. UConn football dying is a good thing for Syracuse. And UConn basketball is going to be a power again. They have a good situation for them. I'm not shedding too many tears.

I do feel bad for their fans as much as I "hate" them. But the Northeast can't support that many teams. One less mouth to feed has helped us get back to relevance. UConn football dying is a good thing for Syracuse. And UConn basketball is going to be a power again. They have a good situation for them. I'm not shedding too many tears.

That was my entire point. Net/Net may be good for Syracuse short term but i'm not sure how long sustainable football in the northeast will be demographically anyway. With alot of highschools teaming up to play football it seems like the talent from the northeast will be cut in half in short order. Essentially if you are any good at this point you are in the ISL and those schools are just sending kids to Michigan at absurdly high rates these days.

Screw UConn they did nothing right.
They got handed a golden ticket into a BCS conference by going Division 1 and then acted like they are god’s gift to the Big East because they became solid while we had Greg Robinson.

UConn cut to the head of the line in division 1 football and when they were shown how valuable they truly are they complained and sued.

When you sue the group you want to be part up you deserve nothing and that is what they got. UConn didn’t deserve in the ACC over Pitt/Syracuse or Louisville.

I have never had a worse experience at a road venue than I had in October 2005 on a Friday Night in East Hartford, CT.

Worst fanbase ever.

They never appreciated the golden ticket they were given. Programs like BYU, Boise, TCU have had to scrap their ways in division 1 football for years and never been given the treatment UConn got. Louisville played in Conference USA and worked their way up. Louisville way more worthy of the last ACC spot over sUeConn.

Screw them and I hope they enjoy Yankee conference schedules in the future.

That fanbase does not treat visiting fans well at all. What they did to BC fans in the early 2000s before BC left was part of the reason they didn’t want to play them.
Their fanbase entitlement is so disgusting they deserve what has happened in realignment.

I too was at that game. Worst visiting experience ever. I felt like I was in an alternative universe. Feel bad for the players but it couldn't happen to a better fanbase of head coach.

I stand by everything I said. I feel bad for the university. I'm swayed by personal feelings and people i know that are close who went there, played there, etc. They did not handle everything right. Obviously. The lawsuit was truly a dumb idea by a single attorney general/now senator. He did a reverse Governor Warner.

But to state that they somehow swindled their way into D1 is your opinion. I think they took advantage of their basketball programs and leveraged into bigtime football.

This is not good for Northeast football.

i agree with you it's a moot point b/c no college football is playing. This stings more because there's more to this decision as you said. They are going to be done playing D1 football.
This is not good for Northeast football.

Not really, Northeast football is BC, SU, Pitt, Ped St, you could even throw Buttgers in

What do those schools have in common? Support from a major conference. As the landscape has changed we see the importance of being supported by super conferences like the Power 5

A correction that honestly only enhances your point about UConn. The Union's stadium is at least 30 minutes from Nova's campus down 476. Traffic is always such a crap shoot in that area, plus Nova currently draws 7,000 a game on campus. And unlike their few games a year at the Wells Fargo Center, there's no public transport to get down to Chester.

The Rent is just as far, if not further, from UConn's campus.

Nova made the right call.

There isn’t going to be college football this fall. We all know it.
UConn couldn’t create a schedule so they rightfully made this announcement now. They couldn’t let their players train when they didn’t have a schedule.

Their ability to stay FBS now is the question the administration over there is contemplating. The program is a money drain on the university and now they can reassign Edsall and cut back spending and drop down to FCS with political cover that it’s because of the pandemic.

Agree with all, but regarding the first line of your post:
1596634880498.jpeg

That was my entire point. Net/Net may be good for Syracuse short term but i'm not sure how long sustainable football in the northeast will be demographically anyway. With alot of highschools teaming up to play football it seems like the talent from the northeast will be cut in half in short order. Essentially if you are any good at this point you are in the ISL and those schools are just sending kids to Michigan at absurdly high rates these days.

Football in general is not a long term buy. But right now there are two P5 teams in Iowa, two in Kansas, two in Oklahoma. Idaho has a pretty big team.

Kids going to big schools are always going to be a problem for us. As long as we're in the ACC we'll have good years occasionally.

Kids are getting more political now. I think that's a good thing, and I think that Syracuse is well positioned in that realm.

A correction that honestly only enhances your point about UConn. The Union's stadium is at least 30 minutes from Nova's campus down 476. Traffic is always such a crap shoot in that area, plus Nova currently draws 7,000 a game on campus. And unlike their few games a year at the Wells Fargo Center, there's no public transport to get down to Chester.

The Rent is just as far, if not further, from UConn's campus.

Nova made the right call.

Penn doesn't want another school sharing Franklin Field.

The Iggles tolerate Temple using Lincoln Financial Field. They won't share with two college teams.

Chester would be their only option.

Penn doesn't want another school sharing Franklin Field.

The Iggles tolerate Temple using Lincoln Financial Field. They won't share with two college teams.

Chester would be their only option.
Not disagreeing at all. And Chester would be a terrible option as it's on the other side of Philly.

UConn’s stadium isn’t that big either. They don’t fill it up either.

Nova didn’t need a football facility.
Philly has Franklin Field, Philly Eagles stadium and the MLS stadium.

Nova didn’t join the conference because the conference didn’t want another leech using a BCS league to grow its program.

Temple has used the Linc since it was built. It's bad enough the Eagles have to deal with one team using their field. Add another and the field quickly becomes junk and unusable by pro standards.

Temple has used the Linc since it was built. It's bad enough the Eagles have to deal with one team using their field. Add another and the field quickly becomes junk and unusable by pro standards.
First. Lincoln Financial Field was paid 50:50 with private and public funding.
Second field turf could solve that issue. More fields are using field turf over grass.
The Eagles play 8 home games. They could easily fit another tenant if Nova pushed the envelope.

They aren’t going D-1 it’s so it’s pointless but Lincoln financial field issues could be taken care in one meeting if Nova used its political capital.

First. Lincoln Financial Field was paid 50:50 with private and public funding.
Second field turf could solve that issue. More fields are using field turf over grass.
The Eagles play 8 home games. They could easily fit another tenant if Nova pushed the envelope.

They aren’t going D-1 it’s so it’s pointless but Lincoln financial field issues could be taken care in one meeting if Nova used its political capital.

The financing is a moot point. There have been plenty of stadiums that have received tax dollars that ultimately decides who gets to use the field.

Everyone will love this but this is a tragic set of circumstances for UConn. They are the example of a school that tried to build a major football power in the northeast. It was a success considering they actually got to a Fiesta Bowl and were competitive in the old Big East. I applaud their efforts. Their senator probably put the nail in the coffin when he sued BC, et al and essentially choked them out of an ACC invitation (which they should have gotten had they not sued).

I feel bad for my UConn friends who actually had a ton of school spirit associated with this football program.

This is bad news for the northeast football machinery.
I'm just wondering, what is the "northeast football machinery"? I don't know how UConn cancelling their season, or even shutting down football forever, impacts SU, BC, the Ivy League, etc.