UConn cancels football season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

It would be merciful to UCONN football fans if they pulled the plug and end the charade of having a football program at this point. They are a basketball school with the best women's program in the country. As for their men's, meh, and the coach is a dink.

It would be merciful to UCONN football fans if they pulled the plug and end the charade of having a football program at this point. They are a basketball school with the best women's program in the country. As for their men's, meh, and the coach is a dink.
Dink, A Dink, The Dink.. One of the best 4 letter words. Classic.

Dink, A Dink, The Dink.. One of the best 4 letter words. Classic.
His picture should appear in the definition in the urban dictionary.
2018_11_8MoreheadStateEaglesUConnHuskiesMBB188.0.jpg
Here, he is thinking to himself, " OMG, I really am a bleeping dink".

Here's his WHO THE DINK chest bump that gets UCONN players to another level.
OIP (4).jpg

And here throwin his dink game to a lady.
4566af5399d64c9086956cc72a28bb88.jpg
You want to take a ride with a hell of a dink.

OIP (5).jpg

This is at a UCONN AD meeting. Gino didn't realize that Hurley was behind him when he's telling this trustee, " Where's that dink Hurley at, at least you don't have to sit next to him, amirite?"

download (12).jpg

This is a coaches meeting where a desperate Edsall is telling Auriema, " You need to get your boy Hurley under control and let him know who is head DINK on this campus".

Why do you keep saying this. UConn is like a 20 year flame out in college football. They are nothing but a footnote at best to NE football history. They will not be missed by anybody but their dozens of fans.

I think it’s bad because I personally don’t think college football will survive in the northeast. Demographics are shifting. Things that take years can suddenly happen in a blink of an eye. UConn is the canary in the coal mine

I also don’t look at competition as a bad thing. Just because we didn’t ascend during their growth doesn’t mean it was a bad thing. We self destructed in the 2000s.

I think it’s bad because I personally don’t think college football will survive in the northeast. Demographics are shifting. Things that take years can suddenly happen in a blink of an eye. UConn is the canary in the coal mine

I also don’t look at competition as a bad thing. Just because we didn’t ascend during their growth doesn’t mean it was a bad thing. We self destructed in the 2000s.

I think northeast football will be fine. Lots of talent from Rochester to Buffalo and we just need to keep them in state. Doty, Robinson, Carter, Brock, Mahar, etc.

You’ve got this backwards.

UConn (& Rutgers) ONLY “ascended” during the ‘00’s BECAUSE we self destructed, due to the GERG Error.

Our program implosion created a vacuum that those 2 programs were then able to fill.

We were the cause.
They were the effect.

NOT the other way around.

His picture should appear in the definition in the urban dictionary.View attachment 185486Here, he is thinking to himself, " OMG, I really am a bleeping dink".
He screwed this up. Jim Boeheim needs to give him lessons on how to throw his jacket! :p

Can you play D2 football and D1 basketball? If so, that would work best for UConn. Otherwise, 1AA football is the future.
No. NCAA rule - D-1 for basketball, D-1 for everything. The Ohio D-3 schools that used to play Dayton in the non-basketball sports worked with the big conferences who were trying to limit who got money from the TV contract to get the rule implemented. UConn could go back to D-1AA for football. They were in the Colonial before they moved up to D-1A.
There are a couple schools that are a mix of D-1 and D-2/3 in other sports, notably Johns Hopkins and Hobart are D-1 in lacrosse but D-3 in everything else. There was a cutoff date set and no new exceptions will be allowed.

People have been predicting the demise of northeastern football for decades. It will die when football dies.

People have been predicting the demise of northeastern football for decades. It will die when football dies.
Northeast football isn’t going to die because Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Penn State, and to a lesser extent Rutgers aren’t going anywhere.

Northeast HS FB is the poorest region in the nation at producing quality P5 level College football players:

UConn rose to a decent level because they played in the weakest BCS league a watered down Big East without Miami, Virginia Tech and Syracuse fell apart.

Plain and simple.

They were never anything more than a 3 star program out of 6 stars that got gift wrapped a recruiting advantage from non-BCS league teams and never had to face elite competition.

Against the best team in the BE during that Era West Virginia the UConn Huskies went 1-7 against them.

They couldn’t beat really good teams.
They beat mediocre teams.

They are getting what they deserve now. If the program was so solid they would have been really competitive in the American. Take away their recruiting advantage of being in a BCS league and look at what they have become.

Northeast football isn’t going to die because Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Penn State, and to a lesser extent Rutgers aren’t going anywhere.

Northeast HS FB is the poorest region in the nation at producing quality P5 level College football players:

UConn rose to a decent level because they played in the weakest BCS league a watered down Big East without Miami, Virginia Tech and Syracuse fell apart.

Plain and simple.

They were never anything more than a 3 star program out of 6 stars that got gift wrapped a recruiting advantage from non-BCS league teams and never had to face elite competition.

Against the best team in the BE during that Era West Virginia the UConn Huskies went 1-7 against them.

They couldn’t beat really good teams.
They beat mediocre teams.

They are getting what they deserve now. If the program was so solid they would have been really competitive in the American. Take away their recruiting advantage of being in a BCS league and look at what they have become.
UConn was a solid football program under Randy Edsall and went downhill starting with the hiring of PP/GDL. The program was tanking under PP/GDL and then they made an even worse hire in Bob Diaco. Their decline is similar to the decline of Syracuse football after PP was fired with 4 winning seasons over the past 15 years. It all comes down to the hiring of the head coach. Heck, Randy Edsall would have been a better hire than Greg Robinson.

Bottom line is that there have been a number of great college coaches from the Northeast that were never hired by Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers (although some were probably not coming to the three schools) and they paid the price. Look at some of the coaches from the Northeast: Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, Ryan Day, Pat Narduzzi, Dave Clawson, Kirk Ferentz, Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher,

UConn was a solid football program under Randy Edsall and went downhill starting with the hiring of PP/GDL. The program was tanking under PP/GDL and then they made an even worse hire in Bob Diaco. Their decline is similar to the decline of Syracuse football after PP was fired with 4 winning seasons over the past 15 years. It all comes down to the hiring of the head coach. Heck, Randy Edsall would have been a better hire than Greg Robinson.

Bottom line is that there have been a number of great college coaches from the Northeast that were never hired by Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers (although some were probably not coming to the three schools) and they paid the price. Look at some of the coaches from the Northeast: Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, Ryan Day, Pat Narduzzi, Dave Clawson, Kirk Ferentz, Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher,
Actually, Nick Saban was a Syracuse assistant coach in 1977

This doesn’t shock me, it actually makes financial sense when you look at the numbers. UConn was in pandemic type financial shape PRIOR to COVID. Right now they’re on their backside with no way of standing up. I wouldn’t be shocked if they drop football permanently.

This doesn’t shock me, it actually makes financial sense when you look at the numbers. UConn was in pandemic type financial shape PRIOR to COVID. Right now they’re on their backside with no way of standing up. I wouldn’t be shocked if they drop football permanently.

What numbers?

Got this from another board about UConn folding the football program. Unsubstantiated at the moment, but seems legit:

One of my former players is playing for the Huskies. I was speaking with his dad last night and he told me that with UConn's basketball team changing conferences that it essentially leaves the football program with nowhere to play.

He then said that while the school is not publicly saying anything yet, it is pretty much a done deal and there are a lot of players already planning their transfers come January. Including his son. He is upset because his son chose Uconn over other offers at Umass and Illinois in 2019 and it will now be harder to find a school where he will have a chance to play.

Posted by "Scott in Montreal" and UConn does have a few Canadians on the team.

Seems legit. :D