UConn cancels football season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

If it’s any consolation to UCon fans, i don’t think anyone will be playing football this year.

This is bad news for the northeast football machinery.

I disagree. Having more D1 schools in the northeast vying for the same limited talent pool was bad for northeastern football. It's not a coincidence that the decline of Syracuse football coincided with the comparative rise of Rutgers, UConn, and to a lesser extent Temple. There simply isn't enough HS talent in the Northeast to support that many D1 programs. An already weak talent pipeline got watered down, and all the NE teams not named Penn State became different degrees of mediocre to bad. Syracuse was better off when the only decent northeastern teams were Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and Penn State.

Screw UConn they did nothing right.
They got handed a golden ticket into a BCS conference by going Division 1 and then acted like they are god’s gift to the Big East because they became solid while we had Greg Robinson.

UConn cut to the head of the line in division 1 football and when they were shown how valuable they truly are they complained and sued.

When you sue the group you want to be part up you deserve nothing and that is what they got. UConn didn’t deserve in the ACC over Pitt/Syracuse or Louisville.

I have never had a worse experience at a road venue than I had in October 2005 on a Friday Night in East Hartford, CT.

Worst fanbase ever.

They never appreciated the golden ticket they were given. Programs like BYU, Boise, TCU have had to scrap their ways in division 1 football for years and never been given the treatment UConn got. Louisville played in Conference USA and worked their way up. Louisville way more worthy of the last ACC spot over sUeConn.

Screw them and I hope they enjoy Yankee conference schedules in the future.

That fanbase does not treat visiting fans well at all. What they did to BC fans in the early 2000s before BC left was part of the reason they didn’t want to play them.
Their fanbase entitlement is so disgusting they deserve what has happened in realignment.
Worse than West by God Virginia fans? :p

WVU fans are protective of WV and want respect. They are crazy but they didn’t bother me or my group when I have been to Morgantown.

UConn fans hurled drinks, trash at where I was tailgating. Had beers and thrown at our visiting section in the stands. Just low class trash who wanted validation.
UConn fans when their program had some energy in it were just utterly disgusting. Now they are quiet I am sure because they suck.

I don;t think UCONN had an actual schedule for this season to begin with as when they bolted from the AAC, they lost all those league games and I don't believe they were all replaced. Now who is SU's plus1 team?

I don;t think UCONN had an actual schedule for this season to begin with as when they bolted from the AAC, they lost all those league games and I don't believe they were all replaced. Now who is SU's plus1 team?

We were never playing UConn this year.

Our 4 scheduled non-conference games this season were:
Colgate
Rutgers
WMU
Liberty.

Colgate and Rutgers are off the table.

Depending on what the MAC decides, it could be WMU, or Buffalo, or Army or Liberty.

We were never playing UConn this year.

Our 4 scheduled non-conference games this season were:
Colgate
Rutgers
WMU
Liberty.

Colgate and Rutgers are off the table.

Depending on what the MAC decides, it could be WMU, or Buffalo, or Army or Liberty.
Buffalo and Army are pretty good. Don't know if LU or WMU can travel to NY without quarenteening. Could use a easy team to get a win.

Will UConn be the first of many BCS teams to cancel, or an outlier?

At this point, I have no idea.

Barring a COVID outbreak on the team, my bet is that UConn an outlier, or I should say any independents will be outliers.

I think those in conferences will be part of the conference announcement, when the time comes.

If you check the website below, ESPN has decided to put ND in with the ACC, and removed them from the Independents. Kinda funny.

SU should get Randy to be a halftime show dancer this season ;)

Last edited:
At a typical WVU football game, their fans are doing worse things to each other than to fans of the opposing team.

WVU fans are protective of WV and want respect. They are crazy but they didn’t bother me or my group when I have been to Morgantown.

UConn fans hurled drinks, trash at where I was tailgating. Had beers and thrown at our visiting section in the stands. Just low class trash who wanted validation.
UConn fans when their program had some energy in it were just utterly disgusting. Now they are quiet I am sure because they suck.

Yea, I've gotten along with (or at least been able to tolerate) every opposing fan base at away games... except UConn fans. Both basketball and football, they're the only group that's had me in the mood for a physical altercation after a game.

Based on a few direct discussions, the “guidance from the State” part has little to no issues related to health and more on budget.

The 14-day quarantine bit is true but a reach here. As we meant how “money talks” to playing college football this year, this is a very absolute case of the reverse need being true.

If they truly care about the well being and safety of their athletes and students, they should also cancel both basketball seasons today. And the field hockey and soccer seasons. And all classes scheduled to be held on campus for the fall semester.

They don't have the money to field a football team this year. That is the truth.

There are significant risks for all athletes attempting to play this season. Schools without the funds to put the right measures in place to keep the athletes as safe as possible should cancel all sports. Immediately.

The bigger question is will it ever be back?
Can you play D2 football and D1 basketball? If so, that would work best for UConn. Otherwise, 1AA football is the future.

I disagree. Having more D1 schools in the northeast vying for the same limited talent pool was bad for northeastern football. It's not a coincidence that the decline of Syracuse football coincided with the comparative rise of Rutgers, UConn, and to a lesser extent Temple. There simply isn't enough HS talent in the Northeast to support that many D1 programs. An already weak talent pipeline got watered down, and all the NE teams not named Penn State became different degrees of mediocre to bad. Syracuse was better off when the only decent northeastern teams were Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and Penn State.
You cannot overemphasize this. Cuse and BC, and probably Pitt, would be helped if Rutgers goes even farther down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom