UConn cancels football season | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

Has UCONN cancelled their FB season again??? Really!? What is the so-called rationale this time?

It might be an April’s fools prank.
I believe what happened is that they had a major COVID outbreak on the football team and canceled the rest of their spring practices and their spring game.

They had 12 of 15 practices in.

The ratio of lost money every year to people who actually care about the program is off the charts. They should probably just pull the plug now rather than go through the motions for another 3-5 years, scheduling bodybag games, pretending they can win, etc.

The ratio of lost money every year to people who actually care about the program is off the charts. They should probably just pull the plug now rather than go through the motions for another 3-5 years, scheduling bodybag games, pretending they can win, etc.
Very true; hard to believe that they stand much of a chance against FAU. Not fair to their kids IMO.

What a tough sell. Come here for a losing program that may get canceled and leave you without a scholarship at any moment ...

I can't fathom what UConn is selling recruits. No conference affiliation and playing in a state that simply doesn't care about the program. (I know, I live here).

I just looked at their 2021 schedule, and they play three P5 teams. Three.

Meanwhile, they also play Army, Yale, Holy Cross, and UMass. That's straight out of the Yankee Conference.

Moving to the Big East was a good move for their hoops program, but they might as well drop back to FCS for football.

I can't fathom what UConn is selling recruits. No conference affiliation and playing in a state that simply doesn't care about the program. (I know, I live here).

I just looked at their 2021 schedule, and they play three P5 teams. Three.

Meanwhile, they also play Army, Yale, Holy Cross, and UMass. That's straight out of the Yankee Conference.

Moving to the Big East was a good move for their hoops program, but they might as well drop back to FCS for football.
I'd have to think they could be highly competitive at the FCS level with their facilities. Why on earth would they not drop down to that level now that they're in the Big East - did a lot of their facility donations stipulate they had to be for a BCS level program? I don't get it.

I'd have to think they could be highly competitive at the FCS level with their facilities. Why on earth would they not drop down to that level now that they're in the Big East - did a lot of their facility donations stipulate they had to be for a BCS level program? I don't get it.
It would make more sense from a financial standpoint to cut football than to drop back down to FCS

I just chuckle at all the money that butt hurt former SU player threw into the storz football black hole.
Bob Burton went to Murray State. One of his sons, the good one, went to Syracuse. The bad one went to UConn.

I suspect that they can't drop to FCS due to the optics of it. You can't upgrade to FBS, build a new stadium, play in a power conference for a while, make repeated overtures to the ACC and B10... and then drop to FCS. It might make much more financial sense in the here-and-now, but it would (a) be a terrible look institutionally, and (b) end any possible future of playing in a major conference.

We know that the latter is incredibly unlikely, but I imagine UConn is going to exist in this FBS purgatory on the off chance there's a seismic shift and they can find a better home. There's always a remote chance that there's unexpected conference realignment, and someone has a desperate need to fill a spot. Really, really unlikely, but UConn has to be prepared for the chance.

I suspect that they can't drop to FCS due to the optics of it. You can't upgrade to FBS, build a new stadium, play in a power conference for a while, make repeated overtures to the ACC and B10... and then drop to FCS. It might make much more financial sense in the here-and-now, but it would (a) be a terrible look institutionally, and (b) end any possible future of playing in a major conference.

We know that the latter is incredibly unlikely, but I imagine UConn is going to exist in this FBS purgatory on the off chance there's a seismic shift and they can find a better home. There's always a remote chance that there's unexpected conference realignment, and someone has a desperate need to fill a spot. Really, really unlikely, but UConn has to be prepared for the chance.
Eh.

It would make more sense from a financial standpoint to cut football than to drop back down to FCS

Then what do they do with the facilities they built?

Fixed.

Then what do they do with the facilities they built?
Tear them down and have Steiner Collectibles offer pieces of them as complementary products to accompany their women's basketball memorabilia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom