Uconn left standing when the music stopped | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn left standing when the music stopped

But it's their board - of course they're going to brag about their accomplishments. Don't we do the same thing when we make fun of Rutgers?

Don't go getting all rational on me. ;)
My love of all things SU clouds my judgement and renders that point moot.
If I see someone talking about my mama, I don't care if its in their living room or on my front steps- I still react.
Period. :noidea:

When it comes to BB, I'm slowly becoming more and more optimistic about our future - even if we stay in the AAC.

Ollie seems to be killing it on the recruiting trail and I'm amazed at how many top players are looking at UCONN and talking up Ollie. Hamilton is one of the highest rated recruits we've ever gotten.

His contacts are aincredible. The list of people who have good things to say about him is long and gets longer every week, like this one from a week ago...

“Kevin Ollie changed the culture with the Thunder,” Durant said, “and he’s doing the same thing now with UConn. I’m very happy for him. He’s always going to be a brother of mine. … He was a big piece of what we do, and he still is, because the things he instilled in us back then, we’re still carrying with is now.”

Last year, Ollie showed he can coach and I'm hoping he only gets better. I think he will because he is smart, works extremely hard and has JC on his shoulder.

Our practice facility is going to be world-class and impressive to recruits and I'm sure playing against NBA players in the summer is also great fun.

The challenge is going to be scheduling. With UofL around, our schedule this year might be tougher than last year - certainly not much of a drop off.

I'm crossing my fingers that we still have a big enough name to be able to continue to schedule the Indiana, Michigan St, FL, KS of the world. We need to take as many of those types of games as we can get and augment it with games against other top non P5 programs like Gonzaga, SDSU, new, new BE etc.

I don't think there is much difference between playing DePaul or Seton Hall and SMU & Tulane.

Memphis and Cincy are good and hopefully Houston or Temple can elevate to some of their glory years. UCF has been to the tourney 5 times.

In fact, in every way other than the schedule, UCONN is in better shape than I thought they would be post JC. If Ollie delivers, than UCONN will be pure blue blood and not a one coach wonder blue blood.

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Entertainment or Humor heading here on the forums list but it is pertinent to Syracuse Basketball... or wait, maybe it's not anymore:) In the spirit of pure schadenfreude here it is:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-uconn-huskies-done-chasing-other-conferences

When it comes to BB, I'm slowly becoming more and more optimistic about our future - even if we stay in the AAC.

Ollie seems to be killing it on the recruiting trail and I'm amazed at how many top players are looking at UCONN and talking up Ollie. Hamilton is one of the highest rated recruits we've ever gotten.

His contacts are aincredible. The list of people who have good things to say about him is long and gets longer every week, like this one from a week ago...

Last year, Ollie showed he can coach and I'm hoping he only gets better. I think he will because he is smart, works extremely hard and has JC on his shoulder.

Our practice facility is going to be world-class and impressive to recruits and I'm sure playing against NBA players in the summer is also great fun.

The challenge is going to be scheduling. With UofL around, our schedule this year might be tougher than last year - certainly not much of a drop off.

I'm crossing my fingers that we still have a big enough name to be able to continue to schedule the Indiana, Michigan St, FL, KS of the world. We need to take as many of those types of games as we can get and augment it with games against other top non P5 programs like Gonzaga, SDSU, new, new BE etc.

I don't think there is much difference between playing DePaul or Seton Hall and SMU & Tulane.

Memphis and Cincy are good and hopefully Houston or Temple can elevate to some of their glory years. UCF has been to the tourney 5 times.

In fact, in every way other than the schedule, UCONN is in better shape than I thought they would be post JC. If Ollie delivers, than UCONN will be pure blue blood and not a one coach wonder blue blood.

He's going to have the same problems Pitino talked about when UL was C-USA...going to be very hard to convince 4 and 5 star kids to play those American schools one after another. UConn is now in the 3rd to 4th best hoops conference in their region.

There is a big drop off in the league you play in this year to the league you played in last year. Don't kid yourself.

UConn basketball won't be killed off, but if you spend 5 years in the AAC the UConn football program will be done unless they go 11-1 or 12-0 which is unlikely. UConn, Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati is a good foundation for a basketball conference, but the other 8 teams will suck most of the time. The AAC will be like the old A-10 in that it will have decent teams, but unless they play good non-conference games won't get high seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

There is a big drop off in the league you play in this year to the league you played in last year. Don't kid yourself.

Big drop off in league, but have you seen the games we have scheduled?

The biggest difference is going to be playing SMU instead of DePaul so we'll take an RPI hit, but at the top, not so much.

UConn basketball won't be killed off, but if you spend 5 years in the AAC the UConn football program will be done unless they go 11-1 or 12-0 which is unlikely. UConn, Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati is a good foundation for a basketball conference, but the other 8 teams will suck most of the time. The AAC will be like the old A-10 in that it will have decent teams, but unless they play good non-conference games won't get high seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

I hope you are right for BB. It comes down to Ollie. If he keeps UCONN in the elite, we'll be fine. We'll be able to schedule well enough.

The difference between UCONN and SU is that you have much more room for error post JB. If Hopkins turns out to not be up to the job, you'll be in a much better financial position to pull the trigger and hire Brad Stevens when he leaves the Celtics.

d.

You must be terribly optimistic by nature since I'd be pretty concerned if I were in your shoes (fan of UCONN).

-UConn's problem is that I still get confused when I see the AAC. It reminds me how silly of a league it is, one that has an acronym too close to the ACC. I cannot even think of 1/2 the programs in the league. I think Houston might be in the conference, enough said.

-Once UCONN football starts to slip, and it will, no doubt, the UCONN name loses luster. Hoops can survive, sure...but the days of a national title and big bowl game are over. You're looking at a run to the S16 or E8 every three or four years years and a football team slipping back to what it was 10 years ago, or Rutgers/Temple in the 90's.

You must be terribly optimistic by nature since I'd be pretty concerned if I were in your shoes (fan of UCONN).

-UConn's problem is that I still get confused when I see the AAC. It reminds me how silly of a league it is, one that has an acronym too close to the ACC. I cannot even think of 1/2 the programs in the league. I think Houston might be in the conference, enough said.

-Once UCONN football starts to slip, and it will, no doubt, the UCONN name loses luster. Hoops can survive, sure...but the days of a national title and big bowl game are over. You're looking at a run to the S16 or E8 every three or four years years and a football team slipping back to what it was 10 years ago, or Rutgers/Temple in the 90's.

Assuming Ollie is the real deal, I think the league is good enough from a BB perspective. UCONN carried the BE for about a decade so I think with UCONN programs like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF have a chance to step up and join us.

If Ollie recruits and coaches, he can get it done.

Football is more perception than reality. Our teams can easily be as good but the bowl situation is dismal. But conference doesn't insulate you from bad times (ever hear of Terry Shea or GROB?)

UCONN carried the BE for about a decade so I think with UCONN programs like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF have a chance to step up and join us.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this comment may generate some responses.

Assuming Ollie is the real deal, I think the league is good enough from a BB perspective. UCONN carried the BE for about a decade so I think with UCONN programs like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF have a chance to step up and join us.

If Ollie recruits and coaches, he can get it done.

Football is more perception than reality. Our teams can easily be as good but the bowl situation is dismal. But conference doesn't insulate you from bad times (ever hear of Terry Shea or GROB?)

What decade did UConn carry the big east?

94-04? I seem to remember another team making a couple Final Fours during that period along with uconn.

From the founding of the Big East there was only one program that was always good and often great.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

UCONN carried the BE for about a decade so I think with UCONN programs like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF have a chance to step up and join us.​
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this comment may generate some responses.

Really? You think Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston and UCF can't improve???

:)

UCONN carried the BE for about a decade so I think with UCONN programs like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF have a chance to step up and join us.

Really? You think Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston and UCF can't improve???

:)
I see what you did there...

Last time Houston was relevant was over 40 years ago. UCF has never been relevant. Temple isn't even the best team in their city. Memphis has had some good players and some good teams but not consistently. Same with Cincy. But if they were never good enough to be a top team in the BE, what line of thinking are you using that all of a sudden they are going to be a top ten team. It's not going to happen.

Last time Houston was relevant was over 40 years ago. UCF has never been relevant. Temple isn't even the best team in their city. Memphis has had some good players and some good teams but not consistently. Same with Cincy. But if they were never good enough to be a top team in the BE, what line of thinking are you using that all of a sudden they are going to be a top ten team. It's not going to happen.

Husky smack down I freakin love it wish there was a love button instead of just a like button :cool:

What decade did UConn carry the big east?

94-04? I seem to remember another team making a couple Final Fours during that period along with uconn.

You can pick several ten-year periods depending on how you want to move the goalposts. 1996 was an incredible run through the NCAAs. But there was only one consistently excellent program in the conference for the entire decade, and it wasn't Syracuse. The fact that a team was able to go 17-1 in the conference one season(!!!!) speaks largely to how inconsistent the conference was at the time.

You can pick several ten-year periods depending on how you want to move the goalposts. 1996 was an incredible run through the NCAAs. But there was only one consistently excellent program in the conference for the entire decade, and it wasn't Syracuse. The fact that a team was able to go 17-1 in the conference one season(!!!!) speaks largely to how inconsistent the conference was at the time.
UConn has won 3 NC and should be given credit for that, but when Syracuse has been bad we have been a bubble team UConn has had multiple seasons where they haven't even made the postseason don't give that 17-1 crap. Syracuse in 2011 went 17-1 in the Big East. Syracuse was the only Big East team to maintain itself in the top tier during the entire history of the Big East. We rivaled with Georgetown, St. John's in the 80's, UConn, Villanova in the 90's, and Louisville in the 2000's. UConn was good from 1990 onward, but they are not the best program in Big East history. UConn has the NCAA Tournament success, but they aren't the dominant program from the Big East.

you do know that syracuse won the all time regular season mark by a big margin over...G town. UConn finished 3rd.

Oh and zls44, I saw you said on your board that the ACC would not get a tv network. You will be proven wrong. And sooner than you think. Oh and by thye way, your entire board is getting Ollie ready for springfield. He went 10-8 last year. Not bad. But the verdict is not in by a long shot.

Are you old enough to remember when SU and Georgetown were the top dogs in the BE and UCONN was on the bottom?

It's true.