Uconn left standing when the music stopped | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn left standing when the music stopped

He went 10-8 last year. Not bad. But the verdict is not in by a long shot.

It's true. Ollie is still an unknown. He could be a great coach - best in the northeast for the next 25 years and still not be as good as JC and JB.

However, by any standard, he is knocking it out of the park.

And in those 10 was a nice W over SU which means more than just one more W.

Are you old enough to remember when SU and Georgetown were the top dogs in the BE and UCONN was on the bottom?

It's true.
UConn was able to do it because of Syracuse and G-town. the money the top programs dragged in to the Big east opend the door. Who does Houston have? And as we have already seen, there is no big money coming in to that league.

It's true. Ollie is still an unknown. He could be a great coach - best in the northeast for the next 25 years and still not be as good as JC and JB.

However, by any standard, he is knocking it out of the park.

And in those 10 was a nice W over SU which means more than just one more W.
LOL funny. a win over UConn is just 1 win to us.

you do know that syracuse won the all time regular season mark by a big margin over...G town. UConn finished 3rd.

Yeah, its only when you look at things like championships, elite 8's, BE Championships, National Championships that you get to the categories we are the top dogs.

SU won more games. UCONN won more prizes. We both won a lot of games and a lot of prizes.

Yeah, its only when you look at things like championships, elite 8's, BE Championships, National Championships that you get to the categories we are the top dogs.

SU won more games. UCONN won more prizes. We both won a lot of games and a lot of prizes.
You had a great run. I still wonder why no one wants you. Even rutgers landed on their feet.

UConn was able to do it because of Syracuse and G-town. the money the top programs dragged in to the Big east opend the door. Who does Houston have? And as we have already seen, there is no big money coming in to that league.

UCONN didn't do because of money. Don't fool yourself. We did it because we hired Jim Calhoun.

Don't fool yourself into thinking it was anything more than that.

PS: Calhoun still would have won even if he didn't get Donyell Marshal (just to pre-empt your next post)

UCONN didn't do because of money. Don't fool yourself. We did it because we hired Jim Calhoun.

Don't fool yourself into thinking it was anything more than that.

PS: Calhoun still would have won even if he didn't get Donyell Marshal (just to pre-empt your next post)
Probably not but I don't care about D Marshall. If Syracuse and G-town and St john's didn't make the Big east what it was, Calhoun, a great coach of course, wouldn't have been able to have that success. Do you think with Calhoun and UConn in the A 10 you still are what you became? No way. In the same way, without the Big east, the Carrier Dome, we aren't what we became either.

Are you old enough to remember when SU and Georgetown were the top dogs in the BE and UCONN was on the bottom?

It's true.

Guy Lewis isn't walking through that door.

Do you think with Calhoun and UConn in the A 10 you still are what you became? No way.

Yeah. With Calhoun in the A-10, we might only have two NC.

And programs with only 2 NC's are pretty good, right? I mean, its still better than one.

And programs with only 2 NC's are pretty good, right? I mean, its still better than one.

NYU and CCNY are happy for you to join their club of yesteryear.

Tell Larry Brown howdy.

NYU and CCNY are happy for you to join their club of yesteryear.

Tell Larry Brown howdy.
Yup. I was going to say Wyoming and Loyola of Chicago. They were relevant once. Let's not forget the Dons of San Fransisco. They also won two national championships. I'm surprised they weren't invited to join the YAK.

Kemba Walker was barely literate and somehow graduated in three years.

The sdhuskys of the world think the NCAA was too harsh on them for the APR ban...methinks they got off easy.

You didn't answer my question. why doesn't any league want you? Why are you left in quite frankly a misfit conference. And good for you, you don't understand that a bomb has it your school. Ignorance is bliss. You won't survive in the AAC. And the longer you are in it, the less attractive you will become.

denial much?

denial much?

I think you are in denial about how good JC was.

I wouldn't be surprised if he won a NC at Northeastern if he stayed there.

He would have built something that good.

Anyway, he is a better coach than Tark and Tark did ok in a conference worse than the A-10

Anyway, he is a better coach than Tark and Tark did ok in a conference worse than the A-10
Answer the question..why does no conference have any interest in UConn? I mean none. And I will take a page from your book, don't answer that flipper was able to keep you out of the ACC. that the ACC wanted UConn before Pitt. Untrue. They took a community college from Kentucky in front of you after that.

Tark cheated. And if you think that JC would have got to a sweet 16 at Northeastern, you need medical help. I saw JC bring Northeastern in to syracuse my sr year. Syracuse won by 40

SDHusky, as the original poster and and a dues paying member of the Syracuse Basketball fanbase who was raised in Connecticut and watched the Connecticut program in it's infancy with Dee Rowe etc... I beg you answer this one question for me since I am really interested in your perspective,

Why do you think UConn was left off of the ACC invite and whe does it seem that none of the remaining major conferences are interested in adding the Huskies?
Your honest answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SDHusky, as the original poster and and a dues paying member of the Syracuse Basketball fanbase who was raised in Connecticut and watched the Connecticut program in it's infancy with Dee Rowe etc... I beg you answer this one question for me since I am really interested in your perspective,

Why do you think UConn was left off of the ACC invite and whe does it seem that none of the remaining major conferences are interested in adding the Huskies?
Your honest answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Iwill take a crack at this one since I haven't been involved in the back-and-forth and think I can answer without emotion.

My personal, and truly honest opinion, is that it has had to do with ease of business, timing, and shifting political powers with the ACC.

Ease of Business
It has been widely reported that the ACC's expansion in 2011 was supposed to be: 1) Syracuse; 2) UConn. But, BC was a member of the three panel expansion committee and put up a fight. It is unclear whether we could have pulled enough votes from the ACC as a whole, but it is clear we couldn't get past BC in the expansion committee so Pitt (a strong candidate anyway) was put up as a compromise.

Timing
By the time Maryland had announced its membership in the Big10 UConn had losts its football head coach that lead them to the Fiesta and was on its ways to the second straight 5-7 season, and the basketball team had just lost its hall of fame head coach, had a rookie replacement, and a was on probation. Meanwhile, Louisville was on its way to the Sugar Bowl and had a national contender basketball team. Had the decision been two years earlier you are looking at a BCS football team clearly at least laying a solid foundation with an apparent long-term coach, and a basketball team contending for national title #3 with a hall of fame coach while Louisville football was mired in mediocrity.

Shifting Political Powers
Given UConn's history of success, larger media market, academics, proximatey to New York, and recent historic ties to numerous ACC teams it is unlikely the timing would have mattered without shifting political power. This is not a knock on any particular add, but there is a contingent of schools outside of Tobacco that believe that the ACC expansion has watered down their football product and was, despite evidence to the contrary, was the reason for a lack of bowl success. Given the uncertainty around the ACC / Big12 at the time Maryland announced it was leaving this was a perfect time for those schools to establish their power within the conference. Conveniently, there was a "southern" school (and I do think culture matters) available, having an amazing year, that provided an acceptable alternative. But, the vote was not unanimous as has been reported.

Regarding other conferences:

Big 12:
Right now there is just no fit. UConn would likely accept an offer since travel in the B12 is effectively just as bad of travel as in the AAC, but there is no chance any of the plains state schools was to travel up here, especially since we play outdoors.

Big 10:
Right now, we are too small, too young in football, and not AAU. I will not bore with the details, but UConn is agressively working its academic profile in the Big model. We are adding about 7-10K undegrads (largely in STEM), have invested now close to $4B in the University (biotech, tech, engineering), and have a focussed professor recruiting effort ongoing (about 250 who will bringing many research dollars with them). We are also joining Hockey East this year and are planning a new on-campus arena. These moves are all good in-and-of themselves, but many 'seem' to be positioning for AAU, then maybe Big if the Rutgers experiment needs some help in a number of years. But again, too young right now.

Iwill take a crack at this one since I haven't been involved in the back-and-forth and think I can answer without emotion.

My personal, and truly honest opinion, is that it has had to do with ease of business, timing, and shifting political powers with the ACC.

Ease of Business
It has been widely reported that the ACC's expansion in 2011 was supposed to be: 1) Syracuse; 2) UConn. But, BC was a member of the three panel expansion committee and put up a fight. It is unclear whether we could have pulled enough votes from the ACC as a whole, but it is clear we couldn't get past BC in the expansion committee so Pitt (a strong candidate anyway) was put up as a compromise.

Timing
By the time Maryland had announced its membership in the Big10 UConn had losts its football head coach that lead them to the Fiesta and was on its ways to the second straight 5-7 season, and the basketball team had just lost its hall of fame head coach, had a rookie replacement, and a was on probation. Meanwhile, Louisville was on its way to the Sugar Bowl and had a national contender basketball team. Had the decision been two years earlier you are looking at a BCS football team clearly at least laying a solid foundation with an apparent long-term coach, and a basketball team contending for national title #3 with a hall of fame coach while Louisville football was mired in mediocrity.

Shifting Political Powers
Given UConn's history of success, larger media market, academics, proximatey to New York, and recent historic ties to numerous ACC teams it is unlikely the timing would have mattered without shifting political power. This is not a knock on any particular add, but there is a contingent of schools outside of Tobacco that believe that the ACC expansion has watered down their football product and was, despite evidence to the contrary, was the reason for a lack of bowl success. Given the uncertainty around the ACC / Big12 at the time Maryland announced it was leaving this was a perfect time for those schools to establish their power within the conference. Conveniently, there was a "southern" school (and I do think culture matters) available, having an amazing year, that provided an acceptable alternative. But, the vote was not unanimous as has been reported.

Regarding other conferences:

Big 12:
Right now there is just no fit. UConn would likely accept an offer since travel in the B12 is effectively just as bad of travel as in the AAC, but there is no chance any of the plains state schools was to travel up here, especially since we play outdoors.

Big 10:
Right now, we are too small, too young in football, and not AAU. I will not bore with the details, but UConn is agressively working its academic profile in the Big model. We are adding about 7-10K undegrads (largely in STEM), have invested now close to $4B in the University (biotech, tech, engineering), and have a focussed professor recruiting effort ongoing (about 250 who will bringing many research dollars with them). We are also joining Hockey East this year and are planning a new on-campus arena. These moves are all good in-and-of themselves, but many 'seem' to be positioning for AAU, then maybe Big if the Rutgers experiment needs some help in a number of years. But again, too young right now.
The problem as I see it, the longer you are in the AAC, the more that works against you. The football product will not get stronger and while KO might be an excellent coach, it will become more difficult each year to remain at an elite level. Your won loss record in that league will be very good but the product won't be top 5 conference good. The longer this goes for UConn, the worse it will become. Thanks for your response.

The problem as I see it, the longer you are in the AAC, the more that works against you. The football product will not get stronger and while KO might be an excellent coach, it will become more difficult each year to remain at an elite level. Your won loss record in that league will be very good but the product won't be top 5 conference good. The longer this goes for UConn, the worse it will become. Thanks for your response.

Can I please just add !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timing

Your answers were well thought out but what I think a lot of Yukon fans miss is that they are overstating the importance of their athletic and academic programs. You would know more about the STEM improvements, etc and that will be able to be measured in the future, but the bottom line with the athletic programs is that there really is no tradition. Football has had one or two good years and that's that. No conference is going to get all excited about playing a school who's best alumni is Dan Orlovsky. Even Rutgers football trumps that. Basketball is another story. But again, with apologies to Dom Perno, Yukon hoops was all about Jim Calhoun. He had a few really great seasons but with some of the controversies that has surrounded the program and the important fact that he has retired, that leaves the program very much up in the air. Like Dasher said the longer you are in the AAC, the worse it will become.

If I am independent, I see Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville as much stronger candidates for admission.