Uconn program going down in flames | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn program going down in flames

Calhoun is not the kind of guy to walk away from the program he built and leave it in a shambles. Love him or hate him, he is a fighter. He'd rather die on the job than leave it like this, I'd wager.

He might get his wish.

The postseason ban and the state of the Big East are pretty significant.

The postseason ban is a single year, then it's done. It's not ideal that it happens in what could be Calhoun's final year, but it shouldn't make a difference going past 2013. I'm not talking about next year, I'm discussing the idea that the program is somehow done or finished or whatever.

The BE thing could be bad, but as constituted it's not as bad as it could be. I think football gets hurt more than anything, but football already stunk in the BE. That could be an issue in a few years for BBall if other schools leave.

Calhoun leaving is going to be the test. I actually agree with you that UConn is currently a coaches program. I don't know if it will stay that way or not, there are very few programs that can truly say the majority of their success isn't due to one great coach. I don't think UConn will suddenly dry up and go away because the fans and, more importantly, the administration don't want the basketball program to go away. UConn is likely in for a rough patch, but I doubt it will ever fade into the oblivion San Fran has. Even IU/UNLV are on the way back up, because they have the support to keep looking to find the coach they need.

In 2013-2014, Uconn will have a whole bunch of juniors and seniors (Napier, Boatright, Smith, Olander, Giffey, and Daniels), a talented sophomore in Omar Calhoun, five open scholarships, and boatloads of playing time to promise any incoming post players. They will most likely have a brand new practice facility. and there are rumors (yes, I know, just rumors) that Shaka Smart has passed on other jobs because he wants Uconn.

Is that really such a terrible scenario?

The postseason ban is a single year, then it's done. It's not ideal that it happens in what could be Calhoun's final year, but it shouldn't make a difference going past 2013. I'm not talking about next year, I'm discussing the idea that the program is somehow done or finished or whatever.

The BE thing could be bad, but as constituted it's not as bad as it could be. I think football gets hurt more than anything, but football already stunk in the BE. That could be an issue in a few years for BBall if other schools leave.

Calhoun leaving is going to be the test. I actually agree with you that UConn is currently a coaches program. I don't know if it will stay that way or not, there are very few programs that can truly say the majority of their success isn't due to one great coach. I don't think UConn will suddenly dry up and go away because the fans and, more importantly, the administration don't want the basketball program to go away. UConn is likely in for a rough patch, but I doubt it will ever fade into the oblivion San Fran has. Even IU/UNLV are on the way back up, because they have the support to keep looking to find the coach they need.

I don't know. If they are stuck on the island of misfit toys, and their Calhoun replacement craps the bed, then they could turn into a UMass / Temple / Memphis type of program within about 1o years. Big East hoops is eventually going to go downhill, with all the games against crappy football teams. The lack of facilities, the lack of an on campus stadium, those things hurt their appeal to future coaches.

I think UConn turns into a steppingstone program post-Calhoun, not a destination.

I don't know. If they are stuck on the island of misfit toys, and [if] their Calhoun replacement craps the bed, then they could turn into a UMass / Temple / Memphis type of program within about 1o years. Big East hoops is eventually going to go downhill, with all the games against crappy football teams. The lack of facilities, the lack of an on campus stadium, those things hurt their appeal to future coaches.

I think UConn turns into a steppingstone program post-Calhoun, not a destination.

I'm not saying it's impossible. There are literally tons of things that can change before Calhoun even retires. Maybe UConn joins the ACC. Maybe the NCAA gets torn to shambles. Maybe UConn hires Ollie who turns into a fantastic coach (even with no experience) who stays at UConn for 25+ years.

Also, not so sure a team has to be in a power conference anymore to win the NCAAT. Just look at Butler, VCU, etc, but that's another discussion.

In 2013-2014, Uconn will have a whole bunch of juniors and seniors (Napier, Boatright, Smith, Olander, Giffey, and Daniels), a talented sophomore in Omar Calhoun, five open scholarships, and boatloads of playing time to promise any incoming post players. They will most likely have a brand new practice facility. and there are rumors (yes, I know, just rumors) that Shaka Smart has passed on other jobs because he wants Uconn.

Is that really such a terrible scenario?
At the rate players are leaving I'd be shocked if all those players are still in Storrs at that time. Especially if Calhoun leaves after this year we could see a mass exodus there.

Napier and Boatright are both guys that might leave after this year, honestly.

I'm not saying it's impossible. There are literally tons of things that can change before Calhoun even retires. Maybe UConn joins the ACC. Maybe the NCAA gets torn to shambles. Maybe UConn hires Ollie who turns into a fantastic coach (even with no experience) who stays at UConn for 25+ years.

Also, not so sure a team has to be in a power conference anymore to win the NCAAT. Just look at Butler, VCU, etc, but that's another discussion.
But those teams didn't win the NCAAT...what's the argument?

Here's the list of three-time National Championship-winning programs that fell off the face of the Earth:

I get that you hate UConn, I get that you envy their success, but please. We aren't going anywhere. Deal with it. Next year is what it is. But it's one year. You have an inability to adequately resolve your wishes with reality. This is proven by the fact that you actually look at the Carrier Dome as a major selling point.

Oh, and it's a $30,000,000 practice facility that UConn is building. Not $10,000,000. It's just like the Melo Center, except much, much better.

Funny how a dying program is building the best facility in the country. Really screws with your narrative, and ain't that a bit*h?

Stepping-stone program my ass. F**k outta here...

LOL at Syracuse fans criticizing two teams that have three Final Fours in the last three years.

Honestly, a modicum, a slight amount of self-awareness would do you wonders, jdubs.

LOL at Syracuse fans criticizing two teams that have three Final Fours in the last three years.

Honestly, a modicum, a slight amount of self-awareness would do you wonders, jdubs.
He just said you don't have to be a power conference to win the title, citing VCU and Butler; but those 2 teams didn't win the championship. That's all I was saying.

First off its freaking 2012 not the 1960's. UNLV is a pretty damn good program. Your insulting of UConn as a coach program is wrong. While Calhoun has built that program all programs at one point had to be built up. They have started a 10 million dollar facility on their campus similar to our Melo Center. I can't stand the UConn program as much as anyone due to our rivalry, but your post is a joke. I mean seriously they have no legit replacement set up? So what they have won the most NCs since 1999 in the entire country I can't stand their guts, but they will get a good coach to replace Jim Calhoun my god. EastCoast brings up Shaka Smart to replace Calhoun. While I love Syracuse basketball we can't throw stones when we live in a glass house. Butler has been to consecutive final 4s and yet we act like we are a true blue blood program yet Calhoun and Boeheim have been to same amount of Final 4s and UConn has 3 titles while we have 1 when we could have had another without luck. However, CCNY, and San Francisco say hi.
History shows a downturn immediately after a legendary coach vacates: see: St. John's, Georgetown, DePaul, North Carolina, Indiana, UNLV-Tarkanian. People put UCLA and Kentucky post-Wooden/Rupp in that realm, though not as dramatic, the programs still experienced a down turn

Here's the list of three-time National Championship-winning programs that fell off the face of the Earth:

I get that you hate UConn, I get that you envy their success, but please. We aren't going anywhere. Deal with it. Next year is what it is. But it's one year. You have an inability to adequately resolve your wishes with reality. This is proven by the fact that you actually look at the Carrier Dome as a major selling point.

Oh, and it's a $30,000,000 practice facility that UConn is building. Not $10,000,000. It's just like the Melo Center, except much, much better.

Funny how a dying program is building the best facility in the country. Really screws with your narrative, and ain't that a bit*h?

Stepping-stone program my ass. F**k outta here...
Someone sounds mad.

How is Hopkins any more of a sure thing than Smart? Yeah, Hop has been around the program forever, but Smart has proven he can be a very good HC at this level.

Hop is in place and rooted. He also handles a majority of recruiting already so won't be the same type of learning curve as an outside replacement.

This is proven by the fact that you actually look at the Carrier Dome as a major selling point.quote]

So players don't enjoy playing in front of crowds of 20-30,ooo+ for home games?

The dome is what it is but it still sports the largest single game crowd every year.

C'mon Imperial, kids love playing infront of 10,000 in Storrs.

Uconn fans are just mad theyll be stuck on their three rings they gloat about forever

C'mon Imperial, kids love playing infront of 10,000 in Storrs.

I guess it's good prep in case they get drafted by Charlotte but I'm not sure any player would prefer that given the choice.

UConn's tiny Gampel capacity crowd is much more impressive then what the XL center crowds are so I guess there's always that.

There were actually two points:

1. Teams outside the power 6 are getting closer. I consider this year more of a fluke than the past two, due to the NBA lockout. If the NBA rules change then this could reverse course, but if things stay as is, teams outside the power 6 will continue to be in the Final Four and have shots at NC's. Butler was about 3-6 inches from winning against Duke. Point here is that UConn could easily do the same even from the new BE.
  2. Second, even if the BE implodes and UConn is in some wasteland conference they can still be relevant and make runs at NC's. Sure a mid-major hasn't won one since UNLV, but I would say making final fours is relevant and not some obscure program (especially if the final four is made by a team with history like UConn).
Is that clear now?

Making it simpler:

1. UConn could win a NC from a crappy conference or
  2. Barring that could still be relevant from a crappy conference

There were actually two points:

1. Teams outside the power 6 are getting closer. I consider this year more of a fluke than the past two, due to the NBA lockout. If the NBA rules change then this could reverse course, but if things stay as is, teams outside the power 6 will continue to be in the Final Four and have shots at NC's. Butler was about 3-6 inches from winning against Duke. Point here is that UConn could easily do the same even from the new BE.
  2. Second, even if the BE implodes and UConn is in some wasteland conference they can still be relevant and make runs at NC's. Sure a mid-major hasn't won one since UNLV, but I would say making final fours is relevant and not some obscure program (especially if the final four is made by a team with history like UConn).
Is that clear now?

Making it simpler:

1. UConn could win a NC from a crappy conference or
  2. Barring that could still be relevant from a crappy conference
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Errr OK.

Well on that note, see ya'll next fall.
Lighten up, Francis. Your post was just a bit Pollyanna-ish. See you in the Dome next year.