Uconn program going down in flames | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn program going down in flames

If they are stuck on the island of misfit toys

We've been stuck there for the last 2 decades.

Last 2o years: us, 3 national championships, every other team in the Big East combined, 1 national championship.
us, 4 final fours, every other team in the Big East combined 6 final fours.

The Big East has a bunch of teams with great name brand recognition, but in terms of actual national accomplishment, not so much.

Last 2o years: us, 3 national championships, every other team in the Big East combined, 1 national championship.

The Big East has a bunch of teams with great name brand recognition, but in terms of actual national accomplishment, not so much.
I still love the fact that no one in the Big East has "national accomplishment" because we didn't play well in 2 weeks in March.

UConn is under .500 in BE play the last 3 years, they are one of the most "bi-polar" national powers ever. They happened to have the best player in America combined with a fairly easy road last year and won 6 games in a row (well, I guess 11 if you count the BET).

The championships are nice, and it's something we don't have. But our regular season success has been unmatched by any BE team the past few years; and I think it's silly to discount 5 months of good basketball because of what happened in a 2 week stretch.

I think it's silly to discount 5 months of good basketball because of what happened in a 2 week stretch.

In fairness, this entire board salivates over the opportunity to do that to the Pitt program every year.

In fairness, this entire board salivates over the opportunity to do that to the Pitt program every year.
I mean don't get me wrong, that's the ultimate goal. But to say the Big East outside of UConn has failed in the "national realm" is just stupid.

A lot has to go your way to win the title (like not losing your starting center, twice) and it's certainly an incredible accomplishment, but I don't buy into the thought that after the first Monday in April you have 1 team with a great season and 300+ teams with awful seasons.

I think if we were at full health in 2010 and this year, we would have been in the Final Four. How would UK have faired without Davis? How about UConn without Oriahki in 2010?

Coach program.

Uconn could have a very very good backcourt with Napier, Boatright and Calhoun next season. Sure they need to improve but Boatright and Napier have talent they are just a bit on the small side. Smith is a good player and I expct he will be much better getting 30+ minutes a game. Daniels could improve a lot, he's a talented kid who just wasn't ready at all as a freshman which happens all the time in the BE. Giffey and Orlander are very good role players IMO. Bradley transfering hurts because they could have used him losing Oriakhi and Drummond. I don't see them being awful in a very down BE next season. Still things could once again go south who knows.

Uconn could have a very very good backcourt with Napier, Boatright and Calhoun next season. Sure they need to improve but Boatright and Napier have talent they are just a bit on the small side. Smith is a good player and I expct he will be much better getting 30+ minutes a game. Daniels could improve a lot, he's a talented kid who just wasn't ready at all as a freshman which happens all the time in the BE. Giffey and Orlander are very good role players IMO. Bradley transfering hurts because they could have used him losing Oriakhi and Drummond. I don't see them being awful in a very down BE next season. Still things could once again go south who knows.

I REALLY like Boatwright but think Smith has been a bust. Wasn't he a McD AA? He's up there with the Chris Taft/Dante Taylor Pitt busts, imo.

I REALLY like Boatwright but think Smith has been a bust. Wasn't he a McD AA? He's up there with the Chris Taft/Dante Taylor Pitt busts, imo.
No, he wasn't a McD AA.

Smith is a good defender and has some offensive skill. He has a very good midrange jumper. I think that Drummond actually hurt that frontcourt last season. They gelled down the stretch in the NC run. They had defined rolls and played well together. Smith, Oriakhi and Olander all seemed to take a step back last season because they no longer had the same roles or minutes.

Smith is a good defender and has some offensive skill. He has a very good midrange jumper. I think that Drummond actually hurt that frontcourt last season. They gelled down the stretch in the NC run. They had defined rolls and played well together. Smith, Oriakhi and Olander all seemed to take a step back last season because they no longer had the same roles or minutes.
I wouldn't say he has a very good midrange jumper by any stretch. It's pretty spotty to be honest, but he does have a good stroke and hopefully he will be more consistent next year. You're right he can play excellent defense and is a very good rebounder for his size as well. He is definitely willing to get in there and battle and do the dirty work.