Uconn recruiting...uh oh | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn recruiting...uh oh

Here is what upsets me the most about (*many*) Uconn fans--

I can acknowledge that Uconn has had definite success with their basketball program under Calhoun. Anyone who doubts that just has an agenda. The problem I've run across with many Uconn fans is that they refuse that awknowledgement with regards to Syracuse's success, claiming it isn't even close.

I can acknowledge that Uconn has had definite success with their basketball program under Calhoun. Anyone who doubts that just has an agenda. The problem I've run across with many Uconn fans is that they refuse that awknowledgement with regards to Syracuse's success, claiming it isn't even close.
thats because every UConn fan is a flamboyant Dbag.

the delusion and denial over there right now is an absolute hoot...
no, seriously, Kasongo is really like the best player in the class, just that no one knows about him is all!

At this point of their recruitment, Okafor wasn't in the top 100 nor was Kemba Walker.

Kasongo, being from Canada, could easily be another diamond in the rough.

Excuse me if I take Calhoun's opinion over yours, its just I think he knows more about player evaluation than you do.

He is very high on this kid and Kasongo did outplay several top 50 recruits over the summer.

UCONN fans who deny SU's success are just allowing the rivalry make them stupid.

We are 1a and 1b over the history of the BE and its easy to justify one being slightly over the other based on your own criteria, but not easy to justify there being much distance however you choose.

JB hasn't always had the love he gets now from SU fans. I think he was WAY under-appreciated, but that's changed.

Just curious: were you one of the uconn fans who thought SU was foolish for firing Coach P?

At this point of their recruitment, Okafor wasn't in the top 100 nor was Kemba Walker.

Kasongo, being from Canada, could easily be another diamond in the rough.

Excuse me if I take Calhoun's opinion over yours, its just I think he knows more about player evaluation than you do.

He is very high on this kid and Kasongo did outplay several top 50 recruits over the summer.
so Calhoun is recruiting Kasongo?

Whether or not you want to admit it, the NBA is a big deal with high school players. If you don't think it's an advantage, well, you must not have been one of the fans who thought GROB's super bowl ring was going to dazzle recruits.

This is a pretty good line, I've got to admit.

Just curious: were you one of the uconn fans who thought SU was foolish for firing Coach P?

Yeah. I thought that SU's decline had more to do with facilities etc. than just coach P.

But I admit to being wrong on that one.

My view of UConn fans has greatly deteriorated over the last 7 years or so. I felt before there was mutual respect and a healthy rivalry between us and UConn. Now I kind of enjoy watching them twist in the wind. They were the only fan base where I actually felt somewhat unsafe at our game at Rentschler Field in 2011 after the ACC announcement. People yelling at my friends and I in the bathroom (at the freaking urinals) and making threats. It was just an ugly situation and I realize a few morons don't make up an entire fan base (and every fan base has their idiots who get violent and abusive), but I've heard more negative stories from people about UConn fans than just about any of our other rivals.

They do love to belittle Syracuse's history and tradition in both football and basketball. I would belittle theirs, but they have none to speak of before 1990 in basketball and before 2002 in football.

so Calhoun is recruiting Kasongo?

Well, Kasongo was in town during the Jim Calhoun dinner with tons of NBA stars from Ray Allen to Kemba to Drummond etc. in attendance and speaking.

And he got to play a little ball with those guys with Kevin and Jim watching.

Spent some time in Jim's office. Calhoun and Ollie are very tight. Very. Calhoun is involved in an advisory role and more.

I honestly believe JC can still ID talented players better than the guys who hand out stars wearing mustard-stained shirts and coach Calipari on speed dial, but if you think they are better, I'm not going to try to change your mind.

The BB facility that UCONN is building has a special Alumni locker room so past players now in the NBA feel at home.

I don't they are doing that at Seton Hall. But other than that, you guys are right. We are just like Seton Hall when it comes to recruiting.

it does sound like Kasongo could be a legit sleeper for Uconn (nicest thing I've said in years).

With that said, major programs are starting to move in so who knows how things play out.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. If UConn doesn't land in a power conference, they may be able to sustain some degree of success. They still have things to sell recruits. The Big East made them, and then in return they helped make the Big East. It is true of all of the successful teams from the Big East. Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova and Syracuse built the foundation. UConn, Syracuse and Georgetown built the first floor. And Louisville, UConn and Syracuse built the second floor. A few other teams contributed at different times, and I am probably missing a huge contributor, but you get the gist. Anyway, UConn, love them or hate them, has some cache, and they may be able to sustain their success if things go well. Or they may fade away, who knows? I just know that Syracuse is in a strong position to sell itself to recruits. Calhoun and Ollie may HAVE to have an eye for diamonds in the rough, because that may be the best they can get, with the occassional sniff from a top 40 recruit.

People yelling at my friends and I in the bathroom (at the freaking urinals) and making threats.
penis envy
It's a bit early to write off our recruiting this year. Don't forget Ollie was under house arrest from the NCAA until into the summer.

We already have two great players coming in next year. Purvis's freshman year was better than Kemba and Kemba turned out OK.

I remember when we lost a recruit to AZ and didn't sign Okafor until the spring. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when El Amin was signed with MN at this point in the process. In the spring he committed to UCONN. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when Ben Gordon wanted to go to Duke but they took Ewing instead and he ended up at UCONN. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when Jake Voskul was a unranked guy Calhoun spotted when recruiting someone else. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember at this point in his recruitment, Kemba wasn't in the top 100. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when it looked like Donyell would go to SU but didn't because of the car dealership penalty. He ended up a UCONN and it worked out.

We will have the most expensive basketball facility in the nation and will play a great OOC schedule.

Look at it this way, last weekend, the recruits got to play with Ray Allen, Kemba, Lamb, etc Got to meet with Calhoun. It was a little bit more impressive than Seton Hall despite what you may want to believe.

Everyone in the NBA knows Ollie and says good things about him.

I think we are fine.

In the UCONN vs. SU for the future conversation, if Ollie is a better coach than Hopkins, I'll take UCONN. If Hopkins is a better coach, I'll take SU.

Right now, we don't know who will be a better coach although we have far more data on Ollie - and it all looks good so far...

I probably am the 2nd biggest UConn fan on this forum (although, really, just a Calhoun fan, whom I believe is no worse than the 2nd best coach of the modern era of college basketball - 1984 and since). So this is not just another SU fan taking an opportunity to bash

I think you guys are in big trouble. Can you have successful seasons and make the NCAAs nearly every year? Certainly. But its unlikely that you will be able to maintain regular Final Four legitimacy in a 2nd tier conference. No school from outside a BCS conference has won an NCAA title since UNLV in 1991. Brad Stevens at Butler and Calipari at Memphis were able to put legit, consistent, title contending programs together, but other than that, the occasional mid major to the FF is a Cinderella story and those programs fade away quickly. History suggests that, unless Ollie has the tactical brilliance of Brad Stevens or the recruiting . . . let's call it wizardry of Calipari or Tark . . . then your glory days are over unless the B1G or ACC come calling.

I don't take any joy in that. I would much rather have seen UConn come to the ACC than any of the former Big East schools who are or will be there.

Last edited:
penis envy

I probably am the 2nd biggest UConn fan on this forum (although, really, just a Calhoun fan, whom I believe is no worse than the 2nd best coach of the modern era of college basketball - 1984 and since). So this is not just another SU fan taking an opportunity to bash

I think you guys are in big trouble. Can you have successful seasons and make the NCAAs nearly every year? Certainly. But its unlikely that you will be able to maintain regular Final Four legitimacy in an 2nd tier conference. No school from outside a BCS conference has won an NCAA title since UNLV in 1991. Brad Stevens at Butler and Calipari at Memphis were able to put legit programs together, but other than that, the occasional mid major to the FF is a Cinderella story and those programs fade away quickly. History suggests that, unless Ollie has the tactical brilliance of Brad Stevens or the recruiting . . . let's call it wizardry of Calipari or Tark . . . then your glory days are over unless the B1G or ACC come calling.

I don't take any joy in that. I would much rather have seen UConn come to the ACC than any of the former Big East schools who are or will be there.

Legitimate argument that he's the best coach in that time. What he built at Connecticut from nothing is one of the most incredible accomplishments in coaching. He and Bill Snyder are a class by themselves in terms of building something where nothing existed before. The Northwestern football coaches since their Rose Bowl would also be up there.

a Calhoun fan, whom I believe is no worse than the 2nd best coach of the modern era of college basketball - 1984 and since).

Wow. You are an even bigger Geno fan, eh?

Wow. You are an even bigger Geno fan, eh?

Now that was funny and great at the same time since it just might be conceivable he was referring to Geno instead of K.

Cheers,
Neil

So Kasongo picked Oregon. And another prospect dropped UCONN.

The UCONN fans incredulous that players don't want to go there with all their NBA and postseason success don't get it. Calhoun is gone. They play in a second tier conference. Uconn is starting from scratch.

The funny thing is they are stating that $ was involved with the AAU coach with NIKE money. This year will be very important for their relevance in recruiting in the Northeast. With the new Big East and the ACC having their roots into the NE then it will be tougher for UConn to get those recruits.

The biggest argument that they have right now is that Daniel Hamilton(5 star), Rodney Purvis(transfer) and Rakim Lubin (3 star)are coming and the possibility of getting JaQuan Lyle, Sam Cassel jr, and Devin Robinson. The truth is UConn fans should be nervous; Hamilton (backing out to UCLA), Lyle(Kansas), Cassell(Louisville) and Robinson(Indiana). Their first and second option recruits are choosing other schools; Perkins (Gonzaga), Snider (Illinois), Abu (NC State), Kasongo (Oregon), and Larrier (VCU). Some are know saying that whoever they get now is extra. Seems like Ollie is just throwing out scholarships and hoping some will be secured.

2014 Basketball Roster

PG- Boatright(might leave early), Purvis
SG- Calhoun, Samuel
SF- Hamilton(might switch to UCLA)
PF- Daniels (might leave early), Facey, Tolksdorf, Lubin
C- Nolan, Brimah

I just don't see the numbers for depth especially if Boatright and Daniels leave early. To me they need to bring in at least a 5 person class this year unless I am missing someone. (Purvis, Hamilton, Lubin, SF and Combo guard)

Just thankful for JB, Hop, Red and GMac!!

They are all talking about Devin Robinson as the next must committ recruit.. Hahahah, news for them, highly doubt he picks them with Robert Johnson committing to IU. Best friends whom I both played with when I was younger. Would be surprised to see Dev not go to IU..

Whether or not you want to admit it, the NBA is a big deal with high school players.
So, your guy has some NBA pedigree. Our guys (including Hopkins) have coached those fellows named LeBron, Kobe, Paul, Wade, and Durant over the past 6 years or so. That might count for something too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom