UConn recruits better backcourts than we do | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UConn recruits better backcourts than we do

To this day I think BT should have primarily been used as a PG and should have penetrated much more (that's what she said).

I grew a bit frustrated with his play from time to time, but I don't think he ever naturally fit at SG when he was slotted there.
Over MCW???

Millhouse isn't a troll. He is like me in that we are frustrated with the fact we have been a 3 seed, 4 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed the past 6 seasons and have underachieved 4 times, overachieved 1 time, met expectations 1 time.

I understand bad luck is part of the game, but excuses don't fly as everyone has a woulda, coulda, shoulda in their life. JB is a great coach and is the best thing about SU basketball, but it seems like he is comfortable doing it one way and whether the fanbase agrees or disagrees isn't adverse to much change. I don't expect him to flip his philosophies 180 degrees, but we don't see him change his methods for bench usage and that gets frustrating. Especially when players struggle and you have no other options because guys haven't played in months. I could create an analytics report for JB about why a certain change should be implemented to really help him I highly doubt he would give a crap because he wants it done his way.

So a guard becomes elite if he wins a NC? Or can a guard be elite and not win? I'd take Flynn in college over about half of the UCONN guards you mentioned originally.
did i say that flynn wasn't elite? i also pointed out for the hundredth time that a backcourt refers to 2 people. not just flynn. i also said in another post, sometimes blake griffin kicks your ass, it happens

let's try to stop putting words in other people's mouths and let's try to stop being dumb. thanks

boatright is good and boeheim wouldn't want boatright because he's too short for the zone.

Over MCW???

I'm not saying he was better than MCW by any means, I'm just saying on the whole, I believe BT had the most potential at PG.

That is all.

Believe me, I'm not some BT fan boy, but I thought having him as an off guard was a misuse of him.

Millhouse said:
did i say that flynn wasn't elite? i also pointed out for the hundredth time that a backcourt refers to 2 people. not just flynn let's try to stop putting words in other people's mouths and let's try to stop being dumb. thanks boatright is good and boeheim wouldn't want boatright because he's too short for the zone.

Joseph is a hair over 6 feet. He's not a big guard.

Joseph is a hair over 6 feet. He's not a big guard.
that gets us half way there. but like most years, we're not going to have that complete backcourt (unless patterson improves and plays) maybe when joseph is an upperclassman

Millhouse said:
did i say that flynn wasn't elite? i also pointed out for the hundredth time that a backcourt refers to 2 people. not just flynn. i also said in another post, sometimes blake griffin kicks your ass, it happens let's try to stop putting words in other people's mouths and let's try to stop being dumb. thanks boatright is good and boeheim wouldn't want boatright because he's too short for the zone.

Calm down. I know you were the OP. You compared the two teams guards. Of course they have had better guards over the years. Not sure why it became a post at all. It's a matter of fact.

My second point was: does a NC automatically make a back court duo better than another? It's likely that our opinions of these duos is enhanced by their hardware. And rightly so, I guess.

Now - the gulf between the two schools is not as vast as the OP suggests. A better metric would be head to head. And by the metric the schools are near even over the last 10-20 years.

I'm just saying on the whole, I believe BT had the most potential at PG.
I can buy that. Triche was a combo guard in that he was capable at both positions, but he excelled at neither and I can see where someone might think he would provide more value at the 1.

Calm down. I know you were the OP. You compared the two teams guards. Of course they have had better guards over the years. Not sure why it became a post at all. It's a matter of fact.

My second point was: does a NC automatically make a back court duo better than another? It's likely that our opinions of these duos is enhanced by their hardware. And rightly so, I guess.

Now - the gulf between the two schools is not as vast as the OP suggests. A better metric would be head to head. And by the metric the schools are near even over the last 10-20 years.
head to head is not a better way to measure national championships. national championships are a better way to measure national championships.

i'm calm. i just think your posts are stupid because you put words in peoples mouths

Also - a) Flynn is proof that JB will take a smaller PG and b) not sure you can knock a coach for favoring elite size and athleticism at all positions

The gap between the programs is huge right now. At 3-1 for NCs we could claim 2011 was an outlier, but now that they have 4 and we are only have 1. It sucks to say, but they clearly have the better program. We are a good program and will always be solid, but we need another NC to get into the multiple winners club.
Winning 2 NCs is like being a member of the 5 timers club on SNL.

Also - a) Flynn is proof that JB will take a smaller PG and b) not sure you can knock a coach for favoring elite size and athleticism at all positions
if your two guard can't shoot or dribble, then yes, you can knock a coach for it

i'm acknowledging tradeoffs here. that's the whole point. we choose size over ball handling at the 2 guard. uuuccconnn (avoiding stupid filters) and louisville don't

Millhouse said:
head to head is not a better way to measure national championships. national championships are a better way to measure national championships. i'm calm. i just think your posts are stupid because you put words in peoples mouths

I think your shifting sand approach to making a point is weak.

Your point was that they had better guards because they won more NC, which I agreed with. By that metric it's a proven thing and hardly worth a post at all.

My point was that the gulf between the two schools guards over time is far smaller than your weak OP suggests.

I think your shifting sand approach to making a point is weak.

Your point was that they had better guards because they won more NC, which I agreed with. By that metric it's a proven thing and hardly worth a post at all.

My point was that the gulf between the two schools guards over time is far smaller than your weak OP suggests.
third post in the thread i said

uconn seems more volatile to me but i'd rather have had their run than our's

3 out of the last 5 years, they stunk. the other 2, they won it all!

Millhouse said:
if your two guard can't shoot or dribble, then yes, you can knock a coach for it i'm acknowledging tradeoffs here. that's the whole point. we choose size over ball handling at the 2 guard. uuuccconnn (avoiding stupid filters) and louisville don't

That's fine. You're talking systems. JB recruits the biggest, longest skilled guards he can to fit his defense. UCONN clearly likes ball handling and quickness over size.

I think saying Cooney and Triche and Devo can't or couldn't shoot is a little dramatic.

That's fine. You're talking systems. JB recruits the biggest, longest skilled guards he can to fit his defense. UCONN clearly likes ball handling and quickness over size.

I think saying Cooney and Triche and Devo can't or couldn't shoot is a little dramatic.
He smartly didn't name any particular players.

Alsacs said:
He smartly didn't name any particular players.

Exactly.

Saying our HOF coach recruits two guards who can't shoot or dribble is nuts.

No way that's accurate or the reason that UCON has won more championships. SU has had excellent players in the backcourt it's been affected by players leaving early for the NBA especially recently. You can't fault the staff for recruiting good players. Believe me im no JB supporter but he has recruited outstanding guards.

If Dion and MCW had stayed around Cuse would be competing for a championship. Syracuse recruits players that aren't as good enough as freshman to win a title, but are too good to stick around to be seniors.

Do you people not pay attention to college basketball? Early entries aren't a Syracuse problem it is a national problem. Sure we would have MCW and Dion but Uconn would have Andre Drummond and Jeremey Lamb. We aren't special. Hell Texas would probably be one of the best teams in the country they have had 4 Freshman leave early since 2010.

dasher said:
And how much did Napier and Boatright sit? Seemed to play a lot of minutes to me.
Wait...were they tired?

Reread your post again and reread the quoted part you respond to

our 2 guards are generally big guys who can somewhat shoot or dribble but not both.

most games cooney's not a good shooter. triche wasn't a good shooter. Devo was good and I acknowledged that right from the get go. for the millionth time Blake Griffin killed them

you are making up again. i wasn't just talking about shooting.

Exactly.

i didn't say that. you probably think i did but i'm sure you misread that post. i did say your posts are stupid because you keep putting words in people's mouths. you are the worst poster on this board for that reason.

Last edited:
Exactly.

I am not going to touch the point being made here, but I think Millhouse was smart not to name any particular player.I think our HOF doesn't play his bench enough is one of my pet peeves. I don't expect the guys to be all-conference players as freshman, but playing them 4-6 minutes a game during the entire season and keeping the rotation deeper is smarter in case one of your main cogs struggles.

Cooney in the 2013 first half of the Georgetown game at the BET gave us 10 huge points. If we give the guys some run you can get the unexpected sometimes. I wouldn't play 13 guys but having 9-10 guys being able to play minutes is huge when some of team goes into a funk.

I am not going to touch the point being made here, but I think Millhouse was smart not to name any particular player.I think our HOF doesn't play his bench enough is one of my pet peeves. I don't expect the guys to be all-conference players as freshman, but playing them 4-6 minutes a game during the entire season and keeping the rotation deeper is smarter in case one of your main cogs struggles.

Cooney in the 2013 first half of the Georgetown game at the BET gave us 10 huge points. If we give the guys some run you can get the unexpected sometimes. I wouldn't play 13 guys but having 9-10 guys being able to play minutes is huge when some of team goes into a funk.
to be clear, I didn't mention cooney because everyone already knows that I think of the guy and I'm wary of running afoul of the bees bucket list

same goes for triche.

i didn't think i needed to name the guys who played for syracuse. but yes. TRICHE COONEY SCOOP MCROSKEY

Alsacs said:
Who is Joseph's backup?

That wasn't my point. JB will take smaller guards.

If you're smaller but fast, size is less important.