Uh oh. Mike Lombardi on nfl network... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uh oh. Mike Lombardi on nfl network...

Doug will be a much better NFL coach than college. He has a good eye for talent, is a ceo type of coach, and will not have to deal with distractions like fund raising and recruiting. I think he will do a very good job. Moving forward i want Shafer to get the job as i believe he can keep the staff intact and i also believe he has a great football mind. He is ready and this could truly end up being a win win for everyone

The only issue being that is had been mentioned that Shafer might go with Marrone if he goes.

Just how does a college coach move up to the NFL, if not "like this?" This is their hiring season.
I have not posted anything about this until now. I have been trying to figure it out like everybody else. I believe he is on the verge of having everything come together here. It is very confusing that he would leave now. I have listened to all the reasons but if he wanted to be in the NFL he cold have done that without coming here. I don't care about the NFL. I care about SU.

I have complete confidence that if Marrone leaves, SU will have some good replacement options. He has laid a solid foundation that the next coach will inherit. The cupboard is not bare like it was when Robinson was fired. Look at Temple and Rutgers, they seemed to do fine. SU has has a couple good in house options. My biggest concern is how it would effect recruiting. If the rest of the staff stays, that should bode well for holding onto recruits. Otherwise, we could lose a few and not close on a couple uncommitted that we are still chasing.

I have complete confidence that if Marrone leaves, SU will have some good replacement options. He has laid a solid foundation that the next coach will inherit. The cupboard is not bare like it was when Robinson was fired. Look at Temple and Rutgers, they seemed to do fine. SU has has a couple good in house options. My biggest concern is how it would effect recruiting. If the rest of the staff stays, that should bode well for holding onto recruits. Otherwise, we could lose a few and not close on a couple uncommitted that we are still chasing.
RU fans are not happy right now, I can tell you that much lol.

Plan B: Hire from within and hit the ground running. Keep the current systems. Reassure recruits that the system they signed up to play for has been retained here in Syracuse.

Plan C: Begin to evaluate candidates based on the list that TGD should have created last week.

I agree but the pessimist in me wonders what if Gross is thinking of leaving as well, then I assume he'd leave the new hire for the new AD.

Then I think we can close out all the "Doug can't coach" or "Doug can't recruit" or "Doug can't manage games" or "Doug can't steer a program" criticisms. His talent and accomplishments are being affirmed by the highest level of football there is.
The Bills are the "highest level of football there is" ?

Doug will be a much better NFL coach than college. He has a good eye for talent, is a ceo type of coach, and will not have to deal with distractions like fund raising and recruiting. I think he will do a very good job. Moving forward i want Shafer to get the job as i believe he can keep the staff intact and i also believe he has a great football mind. He is ready and this could truly end up being a win win for everyone
I tend to agree about marrone I think his biggest shortcoming is his inability to sell highly rated recruits on the program. Or maybe better said he has yet to prove he can sell highly rated recruits on the program. That obviously isnt a factor in the nfl. The other things he has to work on are clock mgmt and punt/go for it decisions but no reason to think he cant improve there. Other than that no reason to think he cant succeed

Then I think we can close out all the "Doug can't coach" or "Doug can't recruit" or "Doug can't manage games" or "Doug can't steer a program" criticisms. His talent and accomplishments are being affirmed by the highest level of football there is.

You're really overestimating the overall intelligence of NFL front offices. Remember - this is the same league that thought Greg Schiano was worthy of a head coaching position.

Yup. As a Syracuse fan im nervous as all hell about the future of our program. As a Bills fan, its a great hire. #Conflicted

It's a great hire? How? Just three months ago he was on an eight FBS game losing streak and his team was among the nation's leaders in penalties and turnovers. He makes boneheaded decisions on gamedays. I like him as head coach of Syracuse, but NFL is a different animal. Someone is going to get a dud. I'm praying like hell it's not Buffalo.

It's a great hire? How? Just three months ago he was on an eight FBS game losing streak and his team was among the nation's leaders in penalties and turnovers. He makes boneheaded decisions on gamedays. I like him as head coach of Syracuse, but NFL is a different animal. Someone is going to get a dud. I'm praying like hell it's not Buffalo.
I think hes going to be a better NFL coach than he was/is a college one.

I think Schiano was 7-9 this year and most people felt he did an ok job. No reason to think Marrone won't be as good if not better than Schiano.

Depends on what division he is in and who is QB is.

its not where doug marrone is now, its where syracuse was 4 years ago that makes him so attractive.

Bingo, bango, bongo.

He was already on the HC track, his performance here just reinforced it.

Fans get hung up on gameday.

I hope Doug is successful wherever he goes. But I see a number of losing seasons in his future. I hope he handles the frustrations of the job better than he did at Syracuse.

I wonder how he will handle the stress that comes with an NFL HC job.

CNY is truly the minor leagues when it comes to media scrutiny and fan criticism.

Our PS sports columnist is a clever writer but is not a true critic - he does not level folks at all. In Philly we have two all-sports radio stations - 24 hours per day. We have many, many sports columnists who love to chew up coaches. We have fans who crush any perceived failure.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If Marrone were to come to Philly and try to do his Andy Reid impression - "I have to do a better job coaching" (and there is no doubt in my mind that Doug lifted that BS from Andy) he will get destroyed - it will be so bloody one cannot imagine.

Andy Reid went to the NFC Championship Game five times, went to the Super Bowl and took the last place Eagles to the NFC East Championship in two years - he was very successful. And yet he and his family were crushed by the media and the fans - look what it did to his two boys - and he was firmly run out of town.

I wonder how Doug will handle that kind of pressure.

Are NFL jobs that easy to come by that a college coach with a .500 overall record and a losing conference record can waltz in with a binder and get hired after winning the Pinstripe Bowl?

Marrone is well respected in NFL circles. The NFL is a good ole boys club. he is part of the parcells coaching tree due to his affiliation with payton. Parcells likes him, so since everyone is the NFL takes his word as gold, he is up there high on peoples list, I know most of you dont care about the miami dolphins but does anyone think Tony Sparano was a good coach? He was a bill parcells guy therefore he got his shot and failed miserably. Marrone IMO is a better coach than sparano and his offensive run/pass concepts translate well in the NFL.

In the NFL too

I think gameday is important.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You really didn't get the point? Come on you're smarter than that.

i've had a terrible feeling about this since it started. it's abundantly clear he has no desire what so ever to stay here, and his agent will know how serious teams are. If he wasn't likely to get a job he would have pulled his name out a couple days ago. I really hope TGD was preparing for this, say around the Missouri game. Like plan A-Z preparation. If DaveR knew DM wasn't happy then i'm sure the Good Dr did. Then again if people are saying he's half out the door too, then is this someone we really want making decisions right now? All I want is that something is finalized today.

Are NFL jobs that easy to come by that a college coach with a .500 overall record and a losing conference record can waltz in with a binder and get hired after winning the Pinstripe Bowl?
Take a look around the NFL. Many head coaches do not have "genius" resumes. Which may be a reason there is a 25% turnover rate in the position annually. Coaches are getting chewed up and spit out at a faster rate than in prior years. Hell, I don't even know who the Oakland coach is until November, and then by March there is a new one. Also Marrone has "OC for a high-octane NFL team" on his resume also. That is probably more important than 25-25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom