Uh oh. Mike Lombardi on nfl network... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uh oh. Mike Lombardi on nfl network...

You really didn't get the point? Come on you're smarter than that.

Most of us get it.

But honestly, game day coaching is MUCH more important in the NFL than college. The talent disparity between the best and worst NFL teams is tiny. I have no idea if Marrone will be a good NFL coach, but I do know that he will get absolutely croaked for some of his game day decisions. I hope he's well prepared for that. Remember, he never called the plays in New Orleans.

IMO, it wouldn't be a great hire for the Bills.
He would be a REALLY tough sell for an anxious fan base like Buffalo. If he's hired, the radio talk shows will be absolutely comical.

He would be a REALLY tough sell for an anxious fan base like Buffalo. If he's hired, the radio talk shows will be absolutely comical.
If the Bills messageboards are any indicator, people are warming up to Marrone, but im sure the uneducated fans will freak the f out.

I tend to agree about marrone I think his biggest shortcoming is his inability to sell highly rated recruits on the program. Or maybe better said he has yet to prove he can sell highly rated recruits on the program.

Is there a coach that SU could hire that could sell 4 and 5 star recruits that it would be better to go to SU? The University can even convince the guy they brought here, for his dream job, to stay.

Please provide a list of coaches that will coach at SU for 1.2 million and also pull in 4 and 5 star players on a consistent basis. Just fill in the blanks, 3 options would be interesting because I can't think of any.

1)

2)

3)

While prospective coaches are interviewing with Gross, we should have their wives go to lunch with Charley Loeb.

We'll get whoever we want.
I'm in the process of reading Floyd's book and he tells a story that when he was on his visit, John Mackey took him on a double date and Floyd couldn't believe how beautiful his date was.

Turns out it was John's wife to be and he did the same thing with Dave Bing.

Just said the Marrone is the chip that will fall after Kelly. Described all the reasons he's attractive.
Now im pissed! I mean why even be a su football fan when u know the university will never pony up in anyway needed to get to next level

If the Bills messageboards are any indicator, people are warming up to Marrone, but im sure the uneducated fans will freak the f out.
Agreed. I actually was surprised as what I saw there. Lot of Marrone supporters.

It's a great hire? How? Just three months ago he was on an eight FBS game losing streak and his team was among the nation's leaders in penalties and turnovers. He makes boneheaded decisions on gamedays. I like him as head coach of Syracuse, but NFL is a different animal. Someone is going to get a dud. I'm praying like hell it's not Buffalo.

You're right it is a different animal but I think in the opposite way. Most NFL head coaches simply manage their coaching staff and players. They look for coaches and players who fit their philosophies, but most aren't overly hands on. They let their assistants do the day to day tasks and only deal with executive decisions the majority of the time.

You're right it is a different animal but I think in the opposite way. Most NFL head coaches simply manage their coaching staff and players. They look for coaches and players who fit their philosophies, but most aren't overly hands on. They let their assistants do the day to day tasks and only deal with executive decisions the majority of the time.

That's why thriving as a game manager is so critical for NFL coaches.

Now im pissed! I mean why even be a su football fan when u know the university will never pony up in anyway needed to get to next level

I agree...if all we know is true about assistant coach pay, facilities etc I will most likely not be sending my financiaal support via tickets and other monies to the Hill...will watch games at home and not donate a penny...unless this wakes them up and investments are made

The next level is Alabama. If you think SU will ever spend as much money on the football program as Bama does, you're out of your mind. Especially when Alabama sells 80,000+ tickets every game, while SU barely manages half that amount.

I posted a while back that the typical CNY local yokel won't support the team unless he's guaranteed at least a 10 win season and a shot at the title every year. You've pretty much confirmed it.

its not where doug marrone is now, its where syracuse was 4 years ago that makes him so attractive.

Not really. I bet his NFL experience is worth more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The next level is Alabama. If you think SU will ever spend as much money on the football program as Bama does, you're out of your mind. Especially when Alabama sells 80,000+ tickets every game, while SU barely manages half that amount.

I posted a while back that the typical CNY local yokel won't support the team unless he's guaranteed at least a 10 win season and a shot at the title every year. You've pretty much confirmed it.
So there's no middle ground between Syracuse and Alabama...really?

You need 60,000 fans for that.
What? Noone is advocating we become Alabama but Clemson and FSU arent Alabama. If we dont plan on competing in the ACC then why bother? The ACC is the one power conference we should be able to compete in, noone expects us to go from the worst team in D-1 football, then a 4 year mini-resurrection to Alabama. Fact is we might have the worst football facilities in a conference that includes Duke.

I would assume the next level would be getting into the top 25, and than doing it consistantly, I think Alabama is slightly above that level

What? Noone is advocating we become Alabama but Clemson and FSU arent Alabama. If we dont plan on competing in the ACC then why bother? The ACC is the one power conference we should be able to compete in, noone expects us to go from the worst team in D-1 football, then a 4 year mini-resurrection to Alabama. Fact is we might have the worst football facilities in a conference that includes Duke.

SU averaged well over 45,000 during the McNabb years. If the same 45,000+ people kept showing up for every game from 1999-present, we'd have more than enough $$$ for better facilities.

But the team stopped winning ... and people stopped going ... and the $$$ stopped flowing ... and the facilities got stale ... and the team won even less ... etc...

You can't spend what you don't earn.

Hopefully, the ACC checks will start to flow pretty soon.

There's no reason why we can't become Clemson or FSU.

Will it be good enough to recapture the imagination of the typical CNY fan? Who knows.

Except I dobt that administration invested any money on facilities neven if attendance was 55K

Not really. I bet his NFL experience is worth more.

i understand your point... but youre wrong.

ZERO (0) NFL teams called him 4 years ago. He needed to take Cuse from the basement to the main floor to get ANY interest.

ZERO (0) NFL teams called him 4 years ago. He needed to take Cuse from the basement to the main floor to get ANY interest.
I remember Bill Polian stating that if DM did not take the Cuse job he would have been in line for NFL HC jobs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

He was very much in line and was in a lot of NFL minds. It helped him to get some HC experience. We win 4-5 games this year which would be 3 losing seasons of 4, and the NFL is still calling like they are now if he let them know he was interested.

He was very much in line and was in a lot of NFL minds. It helped him to get some HC experience. We win 4-5 games this year which would be 3 losing seasons of 4, and the NFL is still calling like they are now if he let them know he was interested.

it's like your point a few days ago about losing is the reason coaches are unsuccessful whether it be in college or the nfl...

i highly doubt marrone is getting any looks if we win 4 games this year. hell, he would have been on the HOT SEAT big time next year if we had only won 4 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom