Ultimate absurdity... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ultimate absurdity...

Sounds like a real vacation. She will be getting tons of mail and phone calls and autograph requests from small children, etc... and she would be left to handle them on her own. You clearly have no idea what the tempo in that office is like.

"Small children." Nice. Jerk many tears? The "vacation" quip was just that — a quip. You, though, ignored the substance of the message. Aside from once again telling us that someone you know personally should be due some 'extra benefit,' could you explain how and why the NCAA would exempt her from the contact rule?

I'm sure there are a LOT of people who are affected by this mess. Why you chose this one person is part of what i'm getting at.

CTO - respect your views and what you do for the program. One can rightly debate whether a suspension was warranted. That said, a suspension is a suspension. It's supposed to be harsh. It's just one step below a termination.

Harsh, maybe. Applied disproportionately with design to cause the most dislocation to the program and the coach? Sorry, that's not supposed to be in the playbook.

"Small children." Nice. Jerk many tears? The "vacation" quip was just that — a quip. You, though, ignored the substance of the message. Aside from once again telling us that someone you know personally should be due some 'extra benefit,' could you explain how and why the NCAA would exempt her from the contact rule?

I'm sure there are a LOT of people who are affected by this mess. Why you chose this one person is part of what i'm getting at.

So much thin skin lately on this board. Uggh . Sad.

One interpretation of the NCAA penalties would bar JB from having contact with his secretary for more than a month.

how is fawn hall doing these days ?

Bobby-Vs-disguise.jpg
upload_2015-12-3_20-10-53.png

Larry Brown had to leave town for a month fearing he might get dinged by the NCAA for running into anyone associated with the program in any capacity even if he was out running errands.

Don't kid yourself Larry Brown was happy to leave town, he isn't from Dallas. Whole different story for a guy who has been living in Syracuse for 50 years. He ain't leaving town and if he enounters someone from the program F the NCAA..

Yeah but he wouldn't have contact with the staff or players.

Interesting question arises: if a player or coach were to have an emergency and wind up in the hospital would JB be punished for a visit during this month. What if, heaven forbid, a person in the program were to die? Could he not attend the funeral?

Guess he won't be attending the SUAD Christmas party.

I try to add a human dimension here ... in an attempt to put into prospective the human aspects of an outrageous situation... and I get crap from people who have no idea of how the basketball office (or any CEO's office) works... and, for good measure, there is a Fawn Hall reference. I give up. No more insights into the reality of this mess.

Last edited:
One interpretation of the NCAA penalties would bar JB from having contact with his secretary for more than a month.

This very competent woman never discusses basketball strategy, X's and O's, substitution patterns or anything else basketball-related with him.

She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America.

Just like the executive assistant to the CEO of IBM does not discuss software strategy with her boss, Jim's executive assistant does not discuss basketball strategy with him.

Looks like Juli may have a new full-time job.

Well unfortunately Jim is not allowed to do anything either the next month other than sit around, so he might be able to handle a few of the duties.

It really is a head scratching suspension.

Maybe Jim can get a gig at ESPN to analyze us during games.

CTO, maybe the secretary can still do her job, and Julie can talk to the secretary, and relay the info to Jim. I don't think that was covered. The NCAA has no control over Julie. That way all of those non specific or technical basketball related items can still be taken care of efficiently.

On the color commentary note, he could certainly do any other school. Get him all over the media with every school possible. That would be great. More visibility than ever before. That would be a great way to stick it to the NCAA!!!

I try to add a human dimension here ... in an attempt to put into prospective the human aspects of an outrageous situation... and I get crap from people who have no idea of how the basketball office (or any CEO's office) works... and, for good measure, there is a Fawn Hall reference. I give up. No more insights into the reality of this mess.
CTO - Don't let the bastards get you down! If you'd like, you can just PM me all of those insights. :)

You shouldn't allow them to stop you from sharing your well educated perspective. Most of us appreciate your take and understand that it means more to you than the rest of us because it is more personal to you. The people being affected by these absurd vindictive penalties are friends/ like family.

I gotta ask...are you Bluecurtain?

Try not to get frustrated. You know most posters appreciate the inside scoop you provide. As for the others - that's the nature of things, especially when it comes to online message boards. Some people will be contrary. Look at igor, spouting the same old garbage for decades, whether or not he means it or just posts for kicks. If he hasn't been banned that means this board is pretty tolerant of dissent and that's to the administrators' credit including you.

:rolleyes: we all know she's the one who tells Jim to play Cooney all the time

:p

Can jb recruit during the season? He should go ham on recruiting and go live in trevon duvals dorm.

Joyce, leave these ingrates behind and continue sharing with us over on the pay side. You know you're appreciated there.

Houston, as someone said on another thread, JB will disappear during games. It will be noticed only via replays near the end of his suspension, that Otto was often seen lingering closer to the SU bench than usual.

Put JB in the Otto Costume!! Genius !!!

Need every person who goes to Gtown game wearing those JB masks they always show those two guys wearing.
somebody needs to mass-produce some realistic, pull-over JB masks and pass them out before games

This very competent woman never discusses basketball strategy, X's and O's, substitution patterns or anything else basketball-related with him.

She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America. But apparently she will not be able to discuss any of his calls or his mail with him.

Just like the executive assistant to the CEO of IBM does not discuss software strategy with her boss, Jim's executive assistant does not discuss basketball strategy with him.

This falls in line with the logic of the rest of the punishment. Why start doing anything that makes sense now?

At what degree of separation can JB talk to someone at the university?