Ultimate absurdity... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ultimate absurdity...

One interpretation of the NCAA penalties would bar JB from having contact with his secretary for more than a month.

This very competent woman never discusses basketball strategy, X's and O's, substitution patterns or anything else basketball-related with him.

She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America. But apparently she will not be able to discuss any of his calls or his mail with him.

Just like the executive assistant to the CEO of IBM does not discuss software strategy with her boss, Jim's executive assistant does not discuss basketball strategy with him.

Is Julie Banned? Or Banned by association?

Call Julie - Julie puts phone on speaker - Talks as if JB is not listening. LOL

Larry Brown had to leave town for a month fearing he might get dinged by the NCAA for running into anyone associated with the program in any capacity even if he was out running errands.
That makes me think - didn't Hop just recently move into JB's neighborhood?

So let's say Jimmy goes out to pick up the paper, and Hop is out for a morning jog. They aren't allowed to say hello, are they.

Seems legit.

So let's say Jimmy goes out to pick up the paper, and Hop is out for a morning jog. They aren't allowed to say hello, are they.

Seems legit.

No and as a matter of fact...I'm sure old Oliver has an unmarked car on the street monitoring the situation and an AIRBNB in the neighborhood.

I'm fairly certain a good part of this whole thing is a personal vendetta by Luck against JB/SU

I try to add a human dimension here ... in an attempt to put into prospective the human aspects of an outrageous situation... and I get crap from people who have no idea of how the basketball office (or any CEO's office) works... and, for good measure, there is a Fawn Hall reference. I give up. No more insights into the reality of this mess.

[sarcasm]I refuse to believe this suspension is going to have an negative impact on anyone else in the world other than myself as an SU fan. All this nonsense of how it may impact little kids and Coach Boeheim's charity work, pfffff, nope just impacts me. [/sarcasm]

pearl31 said:
I'm fairly certain a good part of this whole thing is a personal vendetta by Luck against JB/SU

Here is last years appeals committee. A couple may have been replaced.

W. Anthony Jenkins, Dickinson Wright - A Detroit attorney who holds degrees from both Harvard and Princeton, Jenkins practices corporate, real estate and development law. He also serves as his firm’s Chief Diversity Officer. His term ends in September 2014, and he is eligible for reappointment.

Susan Lipnickey, Miami (Ohio) – Lipnickey is a health studies professor and the faculty athletics representative at Miami (Ohio). She earned her PhD at Ohio State and also serves on the NCAA’s Leadership Council. Her term expires in September 2015.

Patricia C. Ohlendorf, Texas – Ohlendorf is vice-president of institutional relations and legal at Texas. She began her career at the institution in 1971. She holds bachelor’s and law degrees from Texas. Her term expires in September 2015, and she is eligible for reappointment.

David Williams II, Vanderbilt – Williams is vice chancellor for university affairs and Athletics & Athletic Director. He is also a law professor at Vanderbilt. He teaches tax and sports law as well as law and education courses. He holds degrees from Northern Michigan, Detroit and New York University. His term expires in September 2014, and he is eligible for reappointment.

Jack H. Friedenthal, George Washington – A former Committee on Infractions member, Friedenthal is law professor and faculty athletics representative at term expires in September 2014.

W. Anthony Jenkins, Dickinson Wright - A Detroit attorney who holds degrees from both Harvard and Princeton, Jenkins practices corporate, real estate and development law. He also serves as his firm’s Chief Diversity Officer. His term ends in September 2014, and he is eligible for reappointment.

Susan Lipnickey, Miami (Ohio) – Lipnickey is a health studies professor and the faculty athletics representative at Miami (Ohio). She earned her PhD at Ohio State and also serves on the NCAA’s Leadership Council. Her term expires in September 2015.

Patricia C. Ohlendorf, Texas – Ohlendorf is vice-president of institutional relations and legal at Texas. She began her career at the institution in 1971. She holds bachelor’s and law degrees from Texas. Her term expires in September 2015, and she is eligible for reappointment.

David Williams II, Vanderbilt – Williams is vice chancellor for university affairs and Athletics & Athletic Director. He is also a law professor at Vanderbilt. He teaches tax and sports law as well as law and education courses. He holds degrees from Northern Michigan, Detroit and New York University. His term expires in September 2014, and he is eligible for reappointment.

Jack H. Friedenthal, George Washington – A former Committee on Infractions member, Friedenthal is law professor and faculty athletics representative at term expires in September 2014.
Thanks now we know who we won't see in Heaven.

Seems legit.

If JB is at the grocery store and someone says Hi Coach, is he allowed to acknowledge that?

All well and good.
I maintain that it's naive to think Emmert/Luck/other high-ranking NCAA suits don't have a major hand in rulings that come down - especially the high profile ones.

Larry Brown had to leave town for a month fearing he might get dinged by the NCAA for running into anyone associated with the program in any capacity even if he was out running errands.
That's why I had suggested JB go on an extended OCONUS golf holiday. I noted he apparently disagreed, though, saying that being interviewed on a golf course while the team was suffering a 20-point loss would send a bad message. But, geez, the way the NCAA has made this "divorce" from the program so thorough and unreasonable, I tend to think Larry Brown had the right idea.--VBOF

Last edited:

Three of these people's terms expired a year ago and the other two's term expired this September. So were they really the people who decided this case this week? Not likely.