Ultimate absurdity... | Syracusefan.com

Ultimate absurdity...

cto

Administrator
One interpretation of the NCAA penalties would bar JB from having contact with his secretary for more than a month.

This very competent woman never discusses basketball strategy, X's and O's, substitution patterns or anything else basketball-related with him.

She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America. But apparently she will not be able to discuss any of his calls or his mail with him.

Just like the executive assistant to the CEO of IBM does not discuss software strategy with her boss, Jim's executive assistant does not discuss basketball strategy with him.

Last edited:
If my understanding of the timelines is correct, the real absurdity is in laying out extremely harsh punishments that were defined by policies enacted AFTER many of the alleged violations occurred. I hope nobody passes a law making it illegal to eat fish on Tuesday, as I think I did so in the past and don't want to go to jail. I still think a lawsuit should be filed.

Last edited:
One interpretation of the NCAA penalties would bar JB from having contact with his secretary for more than a month.

This very competent woman never discusses basketball strategy, X's and O's, substitution patterns or anything else basketball-related with him.

She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America.

Just like the executive assistant to the CEO of IBM does not discuss software strategy with her boss, Jim's executive assistant does not discuss basketball strategy with him.

Looks like Juli may have a new full-time job.

CTO, do you know Jim plans to do while in exile? I assume, he'll just be a dad in CNY and go to his kids events and stuff. What a horrible joke these penalties are and the appeal result is the ultimate poke in the eye. Completely insane in my opinion.

cto said:
One interpretation of the NCAA penalties would bar JB from having contact with his secretary for more than a month. This very competent woman never discusses basketball strategy, X's and O's, substitution patterns or anything else basketball-related with him. She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America. Just like the executive assistant to the CEO of IBM does not discuss software strategy with her boss, Jim's executive assistant does not discuss basketball strategy with him. Looks like Juli may have a new full-time job.
Is Juli prepared for a full time stay at home JB?

She handles his mail, screens his phone calls, does his expense account, handles requests for autographs and speaking dates, etc. All the things done by executive assistants all over America.

How would you go about deciding which personnel would be 'okay for contact?' If he can't speak to Hopkins or any of the other staff, why would he be able to communicate to any of the staff through his secretary/assistant? How could you possibly oversee/enforce the ruling if you exempted this person? This argument has nothing to do with whether the ruling was justified. But, it is what it is, and i'm not seeing the harm to "this very competent woman." Is she losing a paycheck during the penalty period? Sounds like a vacation.

LOL, how about he does color for Syracuse games during the suspension. What an awesome response that would be! LOL

That would be awesome. Wonder if anyone at the NCAA ever had the foresight to imagine a situation so absurd, and actually established 'legislation' against this.

How would you go about deciding which personnel would be 'okay for contact?' If he can't speak to Hopkins or any of the other staff, why would he be able to communicate to any of the staff through his secretary/assistant? How could you possibly oversee/enforce the ruling if you exempted this person? This argument has nothing to do with whether the ruling was justified. But, it is what it is, and i'm not seeing the harm to "this very competent woman." Is she losing a paycheck during the penalty period? Sounds like a vacation.
Sounds like a real vacation. She will be getting tons of mail and phone calls and autograph requests from small children, etc... and she would be left to handle them on her own. You clearly have no idea what the tempo in that office is like.

He could always pull a Bobby Valentine and dress in disguise, but seriously Joice you are 100 percent right, its a joke.

This is my suggestion:

Florence.jpg

Without access his secretary Jim Boeheim can longer unleash his special brand of evil on college basketball. Everyone knows she's the brains of the operation!!!
The NCAA is stupid.

CTO, do you know Jim plans to do while in exile? I assume, he'll just be a dad in CNY and go to his kids events and stuff. What a horrible joke these penalties are and the appeal result is the ultimate poke in the eye. Completely insane in my opinion.
Houston, as someone said on another thread, JB will disappear during games. It will be noticed only via replays near the end of his suspension, that Otto was often seen lingering closer to the SU bench than usual.

Larry Brown had to leave town for a month fearing he might get dinged by the NCAA for running into anyone associated with the program in any capacity even if he was out running errands.

He needs to disobey everything

CTO - respect your views and what you do for the program. One can rightly debate whether a suspension was warranted. That said, a suspension is a suspension. It's supposed to be harsh. It's just one step below a termination.

LOL, how about he does color for Syracuse games during the suspension. What an awesome response that would be! LOL
He couldn't. He'd be in the building they were playing.

Could link him in from his living room. Juli could be there. She'd be wearing something really. Wait wait - must focus. OK. Jim would be by himself in the basement watching his old school 27 inch TV with a picture of Raf on the wall. That's better.

Yeah but he wouldn't have contact with the staff or players.

Interesting question arises: if a player or coach were to have an emergency and wind up in the hospital would JB be punished for a visit during this month. What if, heaven forbid, a person in the program were to die? Could he not attend the funeral?

Need every person who goes to Gtown game wearing those JB masks they always show those two guys wearing.