Umass may not be playing football much longer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Umass may not be playing football much longer

College football and basketball don’t matter in Boston.
The biggest college sports event in Boston is the annual Beanpot hockey tournament between Harvard, Northeastern, Boston College, and Boston University.

BC in the ACC football and basketball don’t matter. Syracuse is lucky locals appreciate high quality athletics and Syracuse football and basketball fill that void. Just like SEC football does in the south and other areas with their state school.
UMass won’t get the state local support. Fans won’t drice I-90 West to Amherst and they won’t go to Gillette.

Please remember, I went to school in Boston (Northeastern). I fully understand the landscape of Boston college sports and the importance of hockey, including the Beanpot. But I maintain, it’s a great college town with a nice flavor of college sports. And, yes, UMass will never have the support outside of its area. It’s widely known, as you probably know, that if it doesn’t happen within the 495 corridor, Boston folks don’t really care.

Theres a college around every corner, but that's about it. (35 in Boston, alone. 152000 students)

In 2007, Matt Ryan's BC eagles were ranked as high as #2. (Finished 10) Good enough to sell all 44,000 seats twice. That's it. No one cares.

You’re telling me something I’ve known since the 70s.

Please remember, I went to school in Boston (Northeastern). I fully understand the landscape of Boston college sports and the importance of hockey, including the Beanpot. But I maintain, it’s a great college town with a nice flavor of college sports. And, yes, UMass will never have the support outside of its area. It’s widely known, as you probably know, that if it doesn’t happen within the 495 corridor, Boston folks don’t really care.
Go past 495 and you're in the midwest with nothing but cornfields until you get to California. :)

Boston IS a good college town. Just a horrible college sports town.

UMass voted a couple years ago to drop football, altogether. Missed by 4? Votes.

I'd expect them to go more the way of the Boston University Terriers or Cuseguy's Northeastern.

Theres a college around every corner, but that's about it. (35 in Boston, alone. 152000 students)

In 2007, Matt Ryan's BC eagles were ranked as high as #2. (Finished 10) Good enough to sell all 44,000 seats twice. That's it. No one cares.
The people who should be Boston College fans have Notre Dame first in their heart. There is nothing that BC can do to change that, If UMASS were ranked no.2, people would be coming out from under rocks all over New England.

I'm sorry. I like a lot of you guys on here. But I have to ask the question:

Why do the misfortunes of other programs make us want to pile on?

Like Cuse football is this mighty juggernaut in football and no one can touch our socks? I don't get this.

Our program isn't that good ...and hasn't been for 20 years, and we still feel better than so many others?

I get cheering against programs like PSU and ND in football (programs that get all the recruits, and many times to our detriment) and Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UNC basketball.

But who cares over gloating over programs that don't even touch the P5 conference? Their demise somehow makes us awesome ...or just helps us feel better about ourselves?

Forgive me. It's not just this thread. I just continue to get irritated seeing threads like it

Just UConn.

No negative feelings for UMass.

Last edited:
The people who should be Boston College fans have Notre Dame first in their heart. There is nothing that BC can do to change that, If UMASS were ranked no.2, people would be coming out from under rocks all over New England.
orly.gif

Boston IS a good college town. Just a horrible college sports town.

UMass voted a couple years ago to drop football, altogether. Missed by 4? Votes.

I'd expect them to go more the way of the Boston University Terriers or Cuseguy's Northeastern.

College hockey rules in Boston, I know. But I’m not sure there’s another major city in America with so many college sports being contested. They may not interest you, but they’re being held.

Ha cannot believe I'm just learning you went to Northeastern, your Alma Mater's basketball coach is a good friend of mine from Hamilton college! How about them beating A very good Harvard?!

In Boston, I think BC is looked at more like a MLB farm team. Hardly thought about. Rarely on TV. UMass is well below that. Maybe some folks would care a tiny bit, if they were playing other local FCS teams?

According to this article, Harvard has more fan engagement than BC. That may not be fair, as those that went to Harvard are required by law to mention Harvard every 3 minutes.

In Boston, I think BC is looked at more like a MLB farm team. Hardly thought about. Rarely on TV. UMass is well below that. Maybe some folks would care a tiny bit, if they were playing other local FCS teams?

According to this article, Harvard has more fan engagement than BC. That may not be fair, as those that went to Harvard are required by law to mention Harvard every 3 minutes.

Every BC game is on TV.

Every BC game is on TV.
I can't find them. Occasionally they'd be on 38(Raycom), but that's been replaced by ACCN(not carried by Comcast). Working on Saturdays, I've been surprised that they're sometimes only on AM(not WEEIs FM). I know a player on the team, so I look. They're difficult to find.

*This year it looks like 8 games on ACCN. One available for Comcast customers? Accn extra

Last edited:

Like Cuse football is this mighty juggernaut in football and no one can touch our socks? I don't get this.

Our program isn't that good ...and hasn't been for 20 years, and we still feel better than so many others?

I get cheering against programs like PSU and ND in football (programs that get all the recruits, and many times to our detriment) and Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UNC basketball.

But who cares over gloating over programs that don't even touch the P5 conference? Their demise somehow makes us awesome ...or just helps us feel better about ourselves?

Forgive me. It's not just this thread. I just continue to get irritated seeing threads like it

Every fan of Syracuse football should thank their lucky stars every day of the week and twice on Sundays for that "gift of a lifetime" invite from the ACC. Otherwise, had we been left at the alter as UConn was, there would be a lot of folks around here having extreme difficulty deciphering the difference between SU & UConn when looking in the mirror.

Every fan of Syracuse football should thank their lucky stars every day of the week and twice on Sundays for that "gift of a lifetime" invite from the ACC. Otherwise, had we been left at the alter as UConn was, there would be a lot of folks around here having extreme difficulty deciphering the difference between SU & UConn when looking in the mirror.
I completely agree with this. I'm just thankful that Syracuse is represented as a member of a Power 5 ...not that they should not be (the merits of the University led to the invite), but I am just thankful that the community that I grew up in gets represented on a national stage week in and week out, and thankful for any success the University athletic department has as they represent it.

And I hope one day it leads to some more national championships in both football and basketball.

But in no way will I ever feel more immune to the vices or the ills that can plague any other university or group people

How is the high school football scene in New England? My wife grew up near Lake Ontario, about an hour from Syracuse, and the high schools in the county do not play football. I asked my father-in-law when the high schools stopped playing football and he could not remember a time when they did.

I understand people like the failure of other NE football programs because it reduces competition when recruiting. I wonder, though, if lack of big time college football programs in the NE also reduces excitement and passion at the high school level. This may cause high schools to drop football or students to pick other sports to play and, as a result, reducing the number of potential recruits from which to pick from. In other words, having a strong NE college football presence may increase the number of potential high school players from which to recruit. The suckitude of UConn and UMass may actually hurt SU's recruiting by driving down the size of the recruiting pool. No idea, but it has occurred to me in the past, so I thought I would throw it out there.

I have always wondered how the players at FCS or smaller FBS schools feel about buy games. I think it might be a unique experience to play at Notre Dame or Georgia for those players, even if the likelihood of winning the game is essentially zero.

Things would be a lot worse but we wouldn’t be UConn. In all likelihood Shafer is still our HC and is the Addazio of the AAC going 7-6 every year.

How is the high school football scene in New England? My wife grew up near Lake Ontario, about an hour from Syracuse, and the high schools in the county do not play football. I asked my father-in-law when the high schools stopped playing football and he could not remember a time when they did.

I understand people like the failure of other NE football programs because it reduces competition when recruiting. I wonder, though, if lack of big time college football programs in the NE also reduces excitement and passion at the high school level. This may cause high schools to drop football or students to pick other sports to play and, as a result, reducing the number of potential recruits from which to pick from. In other words, having a strong NE college football presence may increase the number of potential high school players from which to recruit. The suckitude of UConn and UMass may actually hurt SU's recruiting by driving down the size of the recruiting pool. No idea, but it has occurred to me in the past, so I thought I would throw it out there.
I'd say folks care more about HS football than college. It's their town. For Mass there are 4 4star recruits, this cycle. Not great, but there is interest at the HS level.

For my towns rivalry game, they've estimated 5000 in attendance. Playoff games 3000+. Championships? More than UMass pulled for Akron at Gillette.

A far cry from Texas, but there is some local interest. Small schools have joined up so they can have a team. Our school usually has 130-155 players(4 teams, 2000 students) Regional schools have made for large student bodies. Our largest competitor has 3300 students. Could be different in other portions of NE.

I agree with Dan here. They are embarrassing themselves and no one cares.
As the resident UMass grad (recent) a move back down to FCS isn't going to happen, let alone dropping the program entirely.

Walt Bell was a solid hire from Florida State: him and his staff need three or four years before full blown panic is necessary. The 2020 recruiting class would be in the top 4 or 5 of both the MAAC and the Sun Belt, which is a major improvement over the talent currently on the roster.

This season has been an absolute embarrassment and they deserve the negativity they are attracting right now but dropping football isn't even a conversation worth having.

Amen, I have never been a big fan of kicking a dog when he is down.

Over half of FBS doesn’t belong in FBS. I really wish they would have a high minimum attendance requirement. And/or create an FBS A and AA, which are both above FCS.

MAC belongs in AA
Only 1 of 12 schools is averaging over 20k and none are over 25k

CUSA belongs in AA
Only 2 of 14 schools are over 25k and none over 30k

Sunbelt belongs in AA
Only 1 of 10 schools is over 25k and none over 30k

MWC at least half belong in AA
Only 3 of 12 are over 30k and none are over 35k. Also 7 of 12 are under 25k.

AAC most teams can stay
7 of 12 are over 30k

Overall the non P5 schools who average over 35k are Cincinnati, Notre Dame, BYU, UCF, and Memphis. That is it.

FBS A should have a 30k per game quota. Currently the only P5s under that number are Washington State, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. If there were a quota in place I think Vandy and WSU would make it every year. Wake though would need to be kicked out, which is fine by me. That would leave around 75 schools which comes out to 5 x 15. You can have the 5 champs plus 1 at large in the playoff.
Why, if the program can sustain itself why do we care how many fans they draw. A couple more seasons like this one and we are headed to FCS under your guidelines.