UNC Postmortem | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postmortem

Maybe benched for breaking team rules and benched for poor performance are two different categories.

Who cares why? The post I was responding to was saying that Red isn't willing to make hard decisions with the roster and rotations.

I pointed out that he benched Benny, and he benched Judah, and he has changed a couple of his starters. I disagree that Red has been unwilling to change the lineup.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen that, at least with a Syracuse game.
That never happens. They always put the next game on ESPNews and continue with the game on ESPN. NC fans are not happy with ESPN for doing this.

^^^
Yup, and catching up ain't gonna happen overnight. In addition to talent, maturity, having no upper classmen, age of those vet teams and playing those team on their court would be tough for any team.

We got some catching up to do to compete with the big dogs.

All we need is a good portal this summer. If we win 18-19 games (or more) Autry has shown people how he intends to play, showed reasonably good results for his first year, and should be able to draw a little better player this time around, if our NIL people step up for hoops like they apparently have for football.

He's ok. He's a role player. If he was terrific we'd post him up and watch him go to work the way Hak did. Or watch him beat bigger guys off the dribble. We don't have anyone that can work down low for their own shot and none of our non-guards are skilled like our good forwards of the past. Since he's out of position on defense he should, in theory, be abusing bigger slower players on offense and he doesn't. When the guards are making secondary defenders leave him, he's good at making himself available. That's his best trait right now. I'm not saying he can't become more, but right now he's average. It's been so long since we've had legitimate top tier forwards, we've forgotten what they look like.

Maliq is like a Wendell Alexis or Taurean Thompson kind of player. He's not the focal point, but a winning team needs guys like him, or like they need a Josh Pace type of glue guy - make the simple play consistently. Don't try to do things you can't really do.

Maliq is like a Wendell Alexis or Taurean Thompson kind of player. He's not the focal point, but a winning team needs guys like him, or like they need a Josh Pace type of glue guy - make the simple play consistently. Don't try to do things you can't really do.
Taurean Thompson? Huh?

TT didn't play defense and won nothing at the 8 colleges he went to

If I played D like Maliq, I'd be quite offended to be compared to Taurean Thompson LOL

Shut your filthy mouth.

Taurean Thompson is exactly the opposite of Maliq.

If I played D like Maliq, I'd be quite offended to be compared to Taurean Thompson LOL

Taurean Thompson was pretty effective scoring around the basket and getting rebounds for us. Unfortunately, he liked to take the occasional 3, which Boeheim did not approve of at all.

Maybe the poster meant Stevie, at least I hope so.

Thompson averaged 3.8 rebounds, 1 block and 0.7 steals in less than 18 minutes a game as a frosh. He had some terrific games against Va. Tech, Clemson and Georgia Tech. You should go back and take a look at his game splits.

In the Va Tech game he had 18 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. He had an 18 & 12 double-double against Ga. Tech, and had 11 points and 4 rebounds to help us beat Duke.

Boeheim's press conferences may have colored our opinions of past players. (Tampering by other schools does that, too.)

Thompson averaged 3.8 rebounds, 1 block and 0.7 steals in less than 18 minutes a game as a frosh. He had some terrific games against Va. Tech, Clemson and Georgia Tech. You should go back and take a look at his game splits.

In the Va Tech game he had 18 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. He had an 18 & 12 double-double against Ga. Tech, and had 11 points and 4 rebounds to help us beat Duke.

Boeheim's press conferences may have colored our opinions of past players. (Tampering by other schools does that, too.)
Don't think you'll find an argument regarding TT's ability to score.
Defense was optional, and don't think anything colors my eyeball-based opinion there.

Defense was optional, and don't think anything colors my eyeball-based opinion there.
Also coloring the opinion might be that he literally didnt play at multiple schools after that. Kind of hurts to be a winning type player if you don't play.

Also coloring the opinion might be that he literally didnt play at multiple schools after that. Kind of hurts to be a winning type player if you don't play.
What a wasted talent. Poor defense or not, he was a gifted scorer in the ACC, couldn’t get off the pine anywhere else. I’d like to know the real story behind his journey.

Rebounding, blocking shots and getting steals are defense, too, y'know. He did pretty well at those things, too.

Rebounding, blocking shots and getting steals are defense, too, y'know. He did pretty well at those things, too.
Understand: you're a big TT fan, and he was good at the stuff he did.
I recall some of stuff he didn't do, and based on that would prefer Maliq on my team.
Respect your opinion -we just disagree on TT's greatness as a complete player.

Your memory is correct. There were a number of times I specifically focused on TT on the defensive end that year and there was a total lack of effort, trying, giving a crap etc - and I don't say that often or lightly.

The worst part of this is everyone is getting upset this weekend…and we were not even competitive. And we haven’t been vs. any top team we have played. We gave up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom