Uniform of the Day for Colgate | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uniform of the Day for Colgate

the Patriots are a great example of awesome success in lieu of the fact that Flying Elvis sucks compares to the Pat Patriot logo that all reasonable fashionistas would agree are more sharp.

Uniforms matter. Now that we have an awesome AD/Coach I trust both will figure this out to appease all portions of the fan base. Multiple uniforms i think will be the answer. People love Syracuse nationally. There is a market for this stuff.

Come on man, this was the HEIGHT of fashion!... ;)

12_13662a_lg.jpeg

Scooch said:
Not necessarily true. We won a lot in the 80s and 90s, and I'll admit that by today's design standards those uniforms are boring. If we're going by our kids, my 13 year old and 9 year old think our unis aren't good. And yet they adore Oregon's, and most of the other cool, modern uniforms. Last point I wanted to make... I find the line of trying to end discussion about uniforms by saying the effect of "it's all about winning, who cares you fashion-loving Nancies" to be obtuse. Uniforms in sports are a big deal. Hell, there is a not-so-small subset of fans who developed a favorite team precisely because of the uniforms. How many times have we heard someone claim that they're a Cowboys fan because they liked the star on the helmet? Or how important to the Yankees tradition the pinstripes are? And we avid fans buy a ton of gear that uses our favorite team's color scheme, logo, mark, mascot and uniform aesthetic. I have jerseys of a couple of my favorite teams to wear to games, but I wouldn't buy an SU football jersey because I find the design so off-putting. I'm a focus group of one, I get it, but I'd buy just about anything -- my threshold for liking a uniform is remarkably low. Hell, I bought a Drew Bledsoe Pats jersey circa 1994, and those things were considered butt ugly by much of that fanbase. So anyway, my opinion's far from the only one, but I really hope the new administration considers heavily tweaking our unis.

I'm in the branding business, so I understand the importance. I'm an Eagles fan for that same reason (But it helped that Cunningham was incredible the year I started to get serious as a young NFL fan).

I did not say it doesn't matter - I said winning helps there be affection for a uni due to nostalgia. I'd argue that losing compounds the issues people have.

Would a great uniform AND winning be the best? Of course. I'd love to see both ASAP. I'm sure Wildhack is aware of all of this. I hope that we tweak or change the uni soon - but if we shock the world and knock off FSU in these uni's - I'll look kinder on them when I look back.

but if we shock the world and knock off FSU in these uni's - I'll look kinder on them when I look back.

Maybe. I know some Buffalo Sabres fans who are eternally annoyed that their last Stanley Cup trip was marred by wearing these atrocities...

BUF_1996-09.jpg

The dumbest thing associated with these uniforms is the fact that you can only buy the blue version. What other school has four different tops and only has one for sale to fans? That's the part I cannot grasp- that's a complete branding fail.

Like with any uniform that has multiple combinations, some look good, some don't. I love the all-white look - very clean and sharp looking. Cant stand the all blue, almost rather see the platinum before the all blue look. I'd prefer the Nassib era unis but it is not like these unis will stop me from watching (may hurt my eyes from time to time though). It just seems that the Nike designers way overthought these unis. 44 degree slash marks on the numbers? Who cares, give me something I can read.

Full_Rebar said:
The dumbest thing associated with these uniforms is the fact that you can only buy the blue version. What other school has four different tops and only has one for sale to fans? That's the part I cannot grasp- that's a complete branding fail.

Yeah and prior to this design, you could buy an orange version, while the team didn't wear one.

Backwards!

Maybe. I know some Buffalo Sabres fans who are eternally annoyed that their last Stanley Cup trip was marred by wearing these atrocities...

BUF_1996-09.jpg
I'm probably in the minority but I liked those jerseys. Had the white Sabres jersey. Too bad my psycho ex-girlfriend at the time cut it up when I broke up with her.

I'm probably in the minority but I liked those jerseys. Had the white Sabres jersey. Too bad my psycho ex-girlfriend at the time cut it up when I broke up with her.

I didn't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I knew a bunch of Sabres fans who hated that thing. I imagine trading years of blue and gold for a trendy black, red and white color change was one factor. And that buffalo head never made sense to me -- why is is all twisted and what's with the weird shoulder angles? The only worse hockey uni hate I've seen was when the Islanders debuted that dumb Gorton's fisherman.

Scooch said:

Yeah - arguing the gray area of this. Some fans will never like them is like saying some fans will miss a slower tempo. We didn't win the "right way"... I don't know - I'm so hungry to be relevant again give me green and pink saltine warriors retro jersey and it won't mar my 8 win season.

Dear Nike, for the love of all that is holy in this world, why can't you just create a modern-fitting version of this uniform? Why must you over-complicate this and make us look like tools?

s568872814488652156_p13708_i1_w589.jpeg

Damn, this site won't let me like your post 1000 times.

She sounds hot

Not necessarily true. We won a lot in the 80s and 90s, and I'll admit that by today's design standards those uniforms are boring. If we're going by our kids, my 13 year old and 9 year old think our unis aren't good. And yet they adore Oregon's, and most of the other cool, modern uniforms.

Last point I wanted to make... I find the line of trying to end discussion about uniforms by saying the effect of "it's all about winning, who cares you fashion-loving Nancies" to be obtuse. Uniforms in sports are a big deal. Hell, there is a not-so-small subset of fans who developed a favorite team precisely because of the uniforms. How many times have we heard someone claim that they're a Cowboys fan because they liked the star on the helmet? Or how important to the Yankees tradition the pinstripes are?

And we avid fans buy a ton of gear that uses our favorite team's color scheme, logo, mark, mascot and uniform aesthetic. I have jerseys of a couple of my favorite teams to wear to games, but I wouldn't buy an SU football jersey because I find the design so off-putting. I'm a focus group of one, I get it, but I'd buy just about anything -- my threshold for liking a uniform is remarkably low. Hell, I bought a Drew Bledsoe Pats jersey circa 1994, and those things were considered butt ugly by much of that fanbase.

So anyway, my opinion's far from the only one, but I really hope the new administration considers heavily tweaking our unis.
12 and 8 here and they friggin love them. Bought them each new jerseys for their bdays this year. My older son did the fake faint thing and it has become one of his most prized possessions. I could honestly care less as long as we NEVER see this again...

cuseblows.jpg

Scooch said:
Dominic Hasek could even make those look good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom