Uniform of the day for UConn... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uniform of the day for UConn...

Some guys apparently think SU should go the Oregon route (new, never before worn, combination). Once they realize that there are only 3*4*4=48 combinations, and that some would be hideous, they may push for more uniform options next year. Prepare to be amazed!
Nothing says SU FB like GRob era mismatching Orange on Orange

A 10th year anniversary reissue soon?

You mean like the brand new re-designed uniforms being worn this year in the NFL?

All 32 NFL Teams Redesigned Uniforms - Page 2 of 8 - @NFLRT

And then these announced before the season...what do these unis evoke/connote/recall...must be nothing because they have never seen the light of day before.

All 32 2016 NFL color rush uniforms, ranked

Everyone is changing uniforms even the NFL, get used to it.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I have no problem with an occasional throw back uniform or special occasion uniform.

In fact, I think that along with a "Legends Weekend," every home football season, coupled with a Leukemia Society Gala and an award to a former SU Football player, the team should wear the 1959 throw-back uniform every year.

But, the standard uniform should be the Coach Mac uniform - just as the cornerstone NFL franchises - with strong brands - have maintained their standard, classic winning uniforms - the Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Colts, just to name a few.

I don't want to be the Bucs or the Jags. I want to be the Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys.

The strategy of departing from the traditional uniform - of leaving behind a winning and identifiable brand - and altering the look every week into something unrecognizable - is bad marketing.

So, no, what you're talking about is something different than what I'm talking about.

Is there more of a story here or is, say, BYU just directly out of left field.

No.

Just an example of a college team that dropped its classic uniform for a few years and decided to bring the classic look back.

It was the first example in college that came to mind.

Since it is college football it seemed like a fair comparison.

I think Pitt has, to some extent, tried to return to its classic look with the gold helmets and script "Pitt."

I know most of the Pitt fans I hang with here in PA, are screaming for a return of the Dorsett, Marino, Johnny Majors uniforms.

I have no problem with an occasional throw back uniform or special occasion uniform.

In fact, I think that along with a "Legends Weekend," every home football season, coupled with a Leukemia Society Gala and an award to a former SU Football player, the team should wear the 1959 throw-back uniform every year.

But, the standard uniform should be the Coach Mac uniform - just as the cornerstone NFL franchises - with strong brands - have maintained their standard, classic winning uniforms - the Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Colts, just to name a few.

I don't want to be the Bucs or the Jags. I want to be the Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys.

The strategy of departing from the traditional uniform - of leaving behind a winning and identifiable brand - and altering the look every week into something unrecognizable - is bad marketing.

So, no, what you're talking about is something different than what I'm talking about.

Problem is we are the Bucs and not the Cowboys.

Losing games is worse marketing.

No.

Just an example of a college team that dropped its classic uniform for a few years and decided to bring the classic look back.

It was the first example in college that came to mind.

Since it is college football it seemed like a fair comparison.

I think Pitt has, to some extent, tried to return to its classic look with the gold helmets and script "Pitt."

I know most of the Pitt fans I hang with here in PA, are screaming for a return of the Dorsett, Marino, Johnny Majors uniforms.

Yep. As posted non-stop by myself: Old fans want the old uni's because of nostalgia. Players don't have those ties. That's where the needle is currently pointing. Is there a happy medium? Probably. Will Wildhack seek one out? Probably.

But complaining every week is insane.

Yep. As posted non-stop by myself: Old fans want the old uni's because of nostalgia. Players don't have those ties. That's where the needle is currently pointing. Is there a happy medium? Probably. Will Wildhack seek one out? Probably.

im an old fan, but I dont want the throwbacks.

all I want is Orange in every uniform, because well...the school is called the ORANGE.

im also not a fan of different helmets.

it should always be the Orange one.

you want to put a different logo on it, or none??...knock yourself out.

but the base color should be the same, like the NFL is now doing.

Nobody is complaining every week.

But, it is apparently an issue since every week we get a post on the uniform to be worn. So it would appear to be a relevant topic.

As I have said many times on this forum, I don't really care all that much what the players like.

The reality is that the players come and go. The fan base and the program remain.

Regardless, I don't believe for a second that the uniforms we are now using attract better players.

And, I suspect, that if we were to return to the classic look many of the players would like them - it would be something new and would be an event - a return to glory.

When recruits see photos of McNabb, Freeney, Harrison, Moore , Chandler Jones, et al - they see the classic Syracuse Football Brand.

I would think that they would want to wear what those stars wore on the Hill - when Syracuse University actually mattered in the world of college football.

Not if it's done in the correct forum and manner...the squeaky wheel gets the grease! :)

Pitt has hit a home run with their uniforms and helmets. It preserves their classic brand while also giving it a modern look. In other words, they don't look like enormous tools like we do. Our uniforms were perfect during the Nassib years.

http _static.silverchalice.co_ci-prod_2016_03_07_20160307025107_pitt_wr_jordan_whitehead_jpg.jpg

But, it is apparently an issue since every week we get a post on the uniform to be worn. So it would appear to be a relevant topic.

As I have said many times on this forum, I don't really care all that much what the players like.

The reality is that the players come and go. The fan base and the program remain.

Regardless, I don't believe for a second that the uniforms we are now using attract better players.

And, I suspect, that if we were to return to the classic look many of the players would like them - it would be something new and would be an event - a return to glory.

When recruits see photos of McNabb, Freeney, Harrison, Moore , Chandler Jones, et al - they see the classic Syracuse Football Brand.

I would think that they would want to wear what those stars wore on the Hill - when Syracuse University actually mattered in the world of college football.

false

Taken from the perspective of people outside of the Syracuse fan base, when I was in Georgia this past year, all the Georgia fans that I was around would always say "the only thing you have going for your program is cool jerseys," or "you might lose, but at least you guys look good doing it." I know it's tough for some of you to see without looking into the past, but the kids today and people outside of the fan base think we have a good look and don't look "like enormous tools"

all the Georgia fans that I was around would always say "the only thing you have going for your program is cool jerseys," or "you might lose, but at least you guys look good doing it."

How many of those people were wearing jean shorts while saying that, though?

1. The reason a weekly post shows up is because there is a weekly tweet that Syracuse puts out saying what the uni combo will be. It's info. Not a weekly call for complaints.

2. It's relevant in that we care what they wear. That it goes off on the same tangent every week is the thing that gets really, really annoying. We know how you feel. I could write your post for you, and you me.

3. Since you don't care what the players like you shouldn't then opine that they would like to see what the previous generation of players wore.

4. People DO complain every week.

5. If we wore these and got to the playoffs my son and all of his classmates in elementary school would associate these with winning and tradition. But since it's not about the players, or my son, or anyone born after McNabb left - I guess we default to what you like most. Since you are the single most important fan.

Taken from the perspective of people outside of the Syracuse fan base, when I was in Georgia this past year, all the Georgia fans that I was around would always say "the only thing you have going for your program is cool jerseys," or "you might lose, but at least you guys look good doing it." I know it's tough for some of you to see without looking into the past, but the kids today and people outside of the fan base think we have a good look and don't look "like enormous tools"

Cue the McNabb pic and the righteous nostalgia mafia

TheCusian said:
1. The reason a weekly post shows up is because there is a weekly tweet that Syracuse puts out saying what the uni combo will be. It's info. Not a weekly call for complaints. 2. It's relevant in that we care what they wear. That it goes off on the same tangent every week is the thing that gets really, really annoying. We know how you feel. I could write your post for you, and you me. 3. Since you don't care what the players like you shouldn't then opine that they would like to see what the previous generation of players wore. 4. People DO complain every week. 5. If we wore these and got to the playoffs my son and all of his classmates in elementary school would associate these with winning and tradition. But since it's not about the players, or my son, or anyone born after McNabb left - I guess we default to what you like most. Since you are the single most important fan.

Why don't you just skip the uniform threads since they seem to upset you so much. You complaining all the time about people who don't like our constantly changing color combos or the uniforms themselves is no different than those complaining about the uniforms.

Why don't you just skip the uniform threads since they seem to upset you so much. You complaining all the time about people who don't like our constantly changing color combos or the uniforms themselves is no different than those complaining about the uniforms.

But then you are complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about the uniforms... When does the cycle ever end :) LOL

1. The reason a weekly post shows up is because there is a weekly tweet that Syracuse puts out saying what the uni combo will be. It's info. Not a weekly call for complaints.

2. It's relevant in that we care what they wear. That it goes off on the same tangent every week is the thing that gets really, really annoying. We know how you feel. I could write your post for you, and you me.

3. Since you don't care what the players like you shouldn't then opine that they would like to see what the previous generation of players wore.

4. People DO complain every week.

5. If we wore these and got to the playoffs my son and all of his classmates in elementary school would associate these with winning and tradition. But since it's not about the players, or my son, or anyone born after McNabb left - I guess we default to what you like most. Since you are the single most important fan.

(1) The Tweet is issued every week because it's an issue that interests fans; (2) I'm not sure what "tangents" are available on the uniform issue - would you prefer discussing whether the players should be outfitted in a certain kind of fabric?; (3) whether I care what the players want or not, I think it's fair to comment on why some would relish the chance to follow the path of past Syracuse legends - if you don't believe that I should comment - that's fine with me; (4) that people "DO complain every week" tells me that there is dissatisfaction with our uniforms and, again, that the topic is interesting to a number of folks; (5) "if we got to the playoffs" is kind of like saying "if gorillas could ice skate they'd be great hockey players" - at this point it's a pointless observation since we are not going to the "play-offs" anytime soon - and the reference to SU Football success ignores the fact that in the days when we did go to high profile bowl games - Sugar, Orange, Fiesta - we were wearing the classic SU Football brand.

Keep in mind, this is a board designed to foster discussion. That's all this is - discussion.

If you don't like the discussion your certainly don't have to get involved in it.

Finally, I'm clearly not the most important fan of Syracuse Football - not even close. But hopefully I try my best to help support the Program and to be as loyal to the Program as I possibly can be.

Have a nice day!

Iowa is another example I think. One year, they added some ugly stripes to the shoulder pad area but got rid of those pretty quickly. Other than that, they have kept the same traditional look that Hayden Fry worked to come up with when he got the program turned around - the Tigerhawk on the helmet and the black and gold look modeled after the Steelers.

As I have said many times on this forum, I don't really care all that much what the players like. The reality is that the players come and go. The fan base and the program remain.
I don't know if that argument works at the college level. Tell OrangeJet his opinion doesn't matter because he graduated from here and was inevitably replaced by someone else. Dude still cares about the program, even though he graduated 35 years ago (Jet- sorry for bringing that part up.) College players don't have the option of free agency or trades or cuts, and are therefore usually part of a community long after they graduate. So it does matter if they care. They're the whole reason we show up.

(1) The Tweet is issued every week because it's an issue that interests fans; (2) I'm not sure what "tangents" are available on the uniform issue - would you prefer discussing whether the players should be outfitted in a certain kind of fabric?; (3) whether I care what the players want or not, I think it's fair to comment on why some would relish the chance to follow the path of past Syracuse legends - if you don't believe that I should comment - that's fine with me; (4) that people "DO complain every week" tells me that there is dissatisfaction with our uniforms and, again, that the topic is interesting to a number of folks; (5) "if we got to the playoffs" is kind of like saying "if gorillas could ice skate they'd be great hockey players" - at this point it's a pointless observation since we are not going to the "play-offs" anytime soon - and the reference to SU Football success ignores the fact that in the days when we did go to high profile bowl games - Sugar, Orange, Fiesta - we were wearing the classic SU Football brand.

Keep in mind, this is a board designed to foster discussion. That's all this is - discussion.

If you don't like the discussion your certainly don't have to get involved in it.

Finally, I'm clearly not the most important fan of Syracuse Football - not even close. But hopefully I try my best to help support the Program and to be as loyal to the Program as I possibly can be.

Have a nice day!

Look. I don't think you get it.

It is important to fans. That's why they post the tweet. That this particular type of post always ends up in same place is annoying. Very few fans of the program who were fans back when we were good, like the new gear. Again. Fine. We know this because there has been a thread on it just about every week since they were announced.

The fact that it gets discussed every week does not mean it's worth discussing every week. Especially when everyone knows everyone's opinion already. So yeah - kinda done with these posts.

My particular issue with your take is that you assume you speak for everyone and that there is no other opinion that matters. I too prefer the classic look as that's when I became a fan. That does not mean I can't be open minded enough to see that it's due to my own particular experience and that others in the fanbase may not share it. And that does not speak to the actual players opinions which unlike you, I value.

You assume too much.

(Also you missed my point, re: my son and the playoffs. The classic look became classic due to the success of the team. The team was not successful due to the uniform. I was simply stating that success in these uniforms would have a similar effect on fans who aren't as tethered to nostalgia.)

You have a good day too :).

Agree. For some reason, Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, et al., don't feel the need to change uniforms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom