unnamed pro scout loves MCW | Syracusefan.com

unnamed pro scout loves MCW

moqui

generational talent
Apologies if already posted; I searched and didn't find it

Doug Gottlieb:

Last year, I was on a plane with a very good former player who is now an NBA scout. He was headed to see Syracuse play UConn, and we discussed whom he did and did not like. Unprompted, he said, "Look, I really like [Dion] Waiters. I like the way he competes, makes shots, and I think at worst he is a sixth man who can play the point or the 2. But I love Carter-Williams. He is a better shooter, ball-screen player, and he will be a lottery pick in a year or two, as he sometimes plays too cool, sometimes loses his confidence with so few minutes."
Carter-Williams is leading a new but equally loaded Syracuse team, and whether he ever plays a game in the ACC or not, the 6-foot-2 scoring point guard showed flashes of something special when he received enough minutes this past season. Add in the fact that redshirted sharpshooter Trevor Cooney will help with spreading the floor for the Orange, and Carter-Williams has a chance, with improvement, to be special.

although the 6-2 comment gives me pause . . .

Maybe the 6'2 is a typo that got past the editors, but if not, no one actually familiar with MCW could think that. Also, Gottlieb oddly refers to him as "scoring" point guard; he in no way plays like a score-first point from what I have seen.

When he played for BABC on the AAU circuit he was very much a scoring point guard. Not to say he didn't distribute, but he could really put it in the basket. I could see how someone who's followed him for a few years would call him a scoring point guard. That's how I look at him.

When he played for BABC on the AAU circuit he was very much a scoring point guard. Not to say he didn't distribute, but he could really put it in the basket. I could see how someone who's followed him for a few years would call him a scoring point guard. That's how I look at him.
Didn't mean to imply that he can't/doesn't score because he clearly possesses the ability to do so in a variety of ways, but when I hear "scoring point guard" I think of someone like Jonny Flynn.

jonny flynn has nothing on MCW, our next lottery pick.
I thought Cooney was our next lottery pick. Maybe MCW and Cooney both go in the 2013 lottery, while Triche goes to Eastern Europe.

Don't be surprised if MCW is announced as the starting 2G.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Cooney has a bright future, his lottery status is to be determined still, if you can tell me where i said he was our next lottery pick ill send you $250, my word is good .
If you keep putting words in my mouth and taking all my posts literally it's going to be a long summer.

I think where Bees may be coming from is BT is a better player with the ball in his hands than a 2G looking for his shot. I can see MCW driving the opposition crazy playing off the ball.

I think where Bees may be coming from is BT is a better player with the ball in his hands than a 2G looking for his shot. I can see MCW driving the opposition crazy playing off the ball.
I don't think JB is crazy enough to mess with a potential lottery pick at PG who is 6'5". That's a once in a blue moon type of player. Enough so, that you won't see JB wearing sweat pants anytime soon in public. :)

I'm not coming from anywhere because it's not my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I also believe he'll play a lot at point. We don't exactly have a lot of options at either guard position.

I'm not coming from anywhere because it's not my opinion.

Regardless of the source, it's an interesting thought. Personally, I'd be a little surprised to see MCW start at the 2 because his primary strength seems to be distributing, with scoring being secondary. In this way, he's the opposite of Johnny Flynn (who was primarily a scorer).

On the other hand, BT's the most experienced guard -- and he's already spent a season playing point. Maybe the staff is thinking the most experienced guy should be running the offense, with the less experienced guys rotating at the 2. The advantage of this is that MCW can slide over to the 1 if BT goes out. TC would sub for MCW at the 2. So this does make some sense.

Regardless of the source, it's an interesting thought. Personally, I'd be a little surprised to see MCW start at the 2 because his primary strength seems to be distributing, with scoring being secondary. In this way, he's the opposite of Johnny Flynn (who was primarily a scorer).

On the other hand, BT's the most experienced guard -- and he's already spent a season playing point. Maybe the staff is thinking the most experienced guy should be running the offense, with the less experienced guys rotating at the 2. The advantage of this is that MCW can slide over to the 1 if BT goes out. TC would sub for MCW at the 2. So this does make some sense.

It also doesn't matter due to the motion offense we run. Many times the PG just passes to one if the wings and then goes "away". Plus when we see a mismatch against a m2m defense, we run iso's from up top but also from the wings.

i think people get too hung up on "position", bottom line is that mcw is starting along side triche. triche may handle the ball more against some line ups, and mcw may handle more against others. either way they are both guards that are expected to create and score.

It def matters when the guy we want to have the ball in his hands is a future lottery pick and the other is someone who some people just want there because hes a senior and is labeled better with the ball in his hands as a player.

Nice analysis.

I like the idea of Brandon at the point. it lets MCW be in attack mode for most of the game and it allows Brandon who probably has the highest basketball IQ on the team to get others involved at the start of the game especially if we start both Rak and DC2 together, which believe we will. Plus MCW will get plenty of minutes at the point when Cooney is in the game for Brandon.

I really like both of them, but MCW is a better passer (imo), and this is the kid that put his assist/to ratio as his main part of his game to work on since he was a junior in hs. And if it really didn't matter, then why would JB announce a position switch?

I really like both of them, but MCW is a better passer (imo), and this is the kid that put his assist/to ratio as his main part of his game to work on since he was a junior in hs. And if it really didn't matter, then why would JB announce a position switch?

Someone has to make a position change.

Because it's in Brandon's best interest to be listed as at PG for his future as a pro. MCW is a lottery pick regardless.

Someone has to make a position change.

Am I missing something?

And Brandon's been playing SG for years now, I don't think all the scouts are suddenly going to be 'all in' because he's playing PG his senior season, they know what his capabilities are at this point. They probably would like to see more leadership and how his mental is before anything else.

Am I missing something?

And Brandon's been playing SG for years now, I don't think all the scouts are suddenly going to be 'all in' because he's playing PG his senior season, they know what his capabilities are at this point. They probably would like to see more leadership and how his mental is before anything else.

He's a PG and has probably played as many minutes as a PG at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom