Update on my traffic "arrest"... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Update on my traffic "arrest"...

Good deal as I hate bogus tickets and I'm glad somebody helped you out when you have done so much to help others.

But, on the other hand what the heck kind of legal system is this? If the ticket is bogus, then it should be dismissed, right? Why the heck does it get changed into some totally random other "crime?" It's like getting arrested for arson and then your lawyer is owed a favor by somebody so they change the crime to racketeering or some such. Just bizarre.

All love and repsect to CTO, but technically it was not a bogus ticket. She was in fact, by her own admission, driving the wrong way on a one way street. However, the cop could have been a bit more understanding and just given her warning...instead gave her ticket, thus doing his job. Appprox two years ago I got a ticket from a humorless, non-understanding cop and of course I was not happy about it. But I don't hold it against the cop as he was doing his job and following the law.

In regards to the lawyer to helped CTO out, good on him for helping someone out and doing a good deed. I too have had a ticket "fixed" so have no issue with CTO's ticket being reduced.

I know I will probably get lambasted for this post, but I just wanted to express my opinion.

All love and repsect to CTO, but technically it was not a bogus ticket. She was in fact, by her own admission, driving the wrong way on a one way street. However, the cop could have been a bit more understanding and just given her warning...instead gave her ticket, thus doing his job. Appprox two years ago I got a ticket from a humorless, non-understanding cop and of course I was not happy about it. But I don't hold it against the cop as he was doing his job and following the law.

In regards to the lawyer to helped CTO out, good on him for helping someone out and doing a good deed. I too have had a ticket "fixed" so have no issue with CTO's ticket being reduced.

I know I will probably get lambasted for this post, but I just wanted to express my opinion.

I agree. There's no gray area when it comes to moving violations.

Good deal as I hate bogus tickets and I'm glad somebody helped you out when you have done so much to help others.

But, on the other hand what the heck kind of legal system is this? If the ticket is bogus, then it should be dismissed, right? Why the heck does it get changed into some totally random other "crime?" It's like getting arrested for arson and then your lawyer is owed a favor by somebody so they change the crime to racketeering or some such. Just bizarre.

It's called plea barganing.

Don't you watch "Law & Order"?

Lets all get along. CTO shared a nice story. Dasher, the premise of the joke was pretty funny - but comparing her to 2 murderers is actually the reason i thought it was a little rough around the edges.

Maybe Justin Bieber would have been a safer comparison.
The fact that he compared her to Blake and Simpson was ridiculous and was precisely what made it so funny. Some people could use thicker thin.

It had no mean edge to it. The very fact that I used O.J. and Robert Blake, two murderers, should have been the first clue. Everyday this board disappoints me more and more. And that has a mean edge because I am pretty mad.
My reaction is that your reaction to her reaction is an overreaction and worse than her reaction. I'm disappointed too.

It's called plea barganing.

Don't you watch "Law & Order"?

Well no. But it just smacks of the legal system being completely arbitrary if you can just say "alright, I know you are here for X, but lets just pretend you did Z and all go have a beer."

On the other hand, maybe CTO got a reduced sentence in exchange for testifying against the true mastermind of people driving the wrong way down Harrison. They want the big fish!!

Seriously - how do you go from 'driving the wrong way down a one way street' to ' noisy muffler'?

Even funnier is that can't CTO now turn around and demand the rental car company reimburse her for this fine. Afterall, they gave her a car that had an obnoxiously loud and possibly faulty muffler, causing her to get a citation. They are clearly liable. Aren't they?

I once got out of a noisy muffler ticket by telling the officer that it was impossible for me to have a noisy muffler, because the muffler on my truck fell off a few weeks ago. I don't know why, but he thought that was so funny he was nearly in tears and he told me to drive away before he came to his senses.

My reaction is that your reaction to her reaction is an overreaction and worse than her reaction. I'm disappointed too.
Yes. let's not have a board with any humor. It's a much better place for just complaining about the 2-3 or Cooney. Seriously, it was very clear that it was a joke to 90% of the board. I got 10 likes and a couple of pm's saying how they got a laugh out of it. You must be disappointed a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. let's not have a board with any humor. It's a much better place for just complaining about the 2-3 or Cooney. Seriously, it was very clear that it was a joke to 90% of the board. I got 10 likes and a couple of pm's saying how they got a laugh out of it. You must be disappointed a lot.

I also thought it was obvious that it was a joke.

But this board has really sucked for most of 2014 and I can understand why an admin would be somewhat defensive and trigger-happy given all the they have had to put up with.

Use the emoticons. They make the tone and intention obvious.

:)

Lets all get along. CTO shared a nice story. Dasher, the premise of the joke was pretty funny - but comparing her to 2 murderers is actually the reason i thought it was a little rough around the edges.

Maybe Justin Bieber would have been a safer comparison.
To me, the use of the murderers was what made it obvious that it was a joke.

I got a laugh and I'll give it a like in a minute.

I'm wondering why you got mad and disappointed with the world because CTO didn't get the joke. 90% is a pretty good number for an average sarcasm. You must be disappointed a lot and should give up on sarcasm if you need 100%.

kuethstheman said:

I'm wondering why you got mad and disappointed with the world because CTO didn't get the joke. 90% is a pretty good number for an average sarcasm. You must be disappointed a lot and should give up on sarcasm if you need 100%.

I think Dash took it personal as it seems CTO took it personal and snapped back at him...

Seriously - how do you go from 'driving the wrong way down a one way street' to ' noisy muffler'?
You make a good case, obviously. I was not there. I gave my attorney ,,,, my power of attorney. This is done all the time, trust me. Charges are reduced all the time. That is what lawyers do. Even with charges that are a lot more serious than a questionable driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
I also thought it was obvious that it was a joke.

But this board has really sucked for most of 2014 and I can understand why an admin would be somewhat defensive and trigger-happy given all the they have had to put up with.

Use the emoticons. They make the tone and intention obvious.

:)
I most assuredly was not "trigger-happy" because, as one can see, the post was not deleted. I am sorry, but I saw no humor in being compared to two murderers. Also, I was a bit sensitive to the "using money" suggestion because it's obvious from some of my posts (e.g., all the traveling I do and my gifts to SU) that I am very fortunate in that I have a bit more money than several others. I didn't like the suggestion that I was "buying" something ... whereas, in reality, I was simply the beneficiary of a very kind gesture by a total stranger.

You make a good case, obviously. I was not there. I gave my attorney ,,,, my power of attorney. This is done all the time, trust me. Charges are reduced all the time. That is what lawyers do. Even with charges that are a lot more serious than a questionable driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

See, here's what I think happened. You got scammed. In exchange for a reduced sentence you agreed to testify against the big fish. BUT, now you are going to have to go into the witness protection program, because I know who runs the driving down Harrison the wrong way cartel, and I can assure you it is not the boy scouts. Clearly you will not be able to use your basketball tickets anymore as you are plainly visible on national TV for every game and will be picked off in short order when the season starts... thus your helpful lawyer says "ok, I guess I'll take the tickets."

Classic scam. Seen it a hundred times!

See, here's what I think happened. You got scammed. In exchange for a reduced sentence you agreed to testify against the big fish. BUT, now you are going to have to go into the witness protection program, because I know who runs the driving down Harrison the wrong way cartel, and I can assure you it is not the boy scouts. Clearly you will not be able to use your basketball tickets anymore as you are plainly visible on national TV for every game and will be picked off in short order when the season starts... thus your helpful lawyer says "ok, I guess I'll take the tickets."

Classic scam. Seen it a hundred times!

This is not funny...you are making fun of a legitimate and life saving program such as witness protection. Also you have disrepected CTO by affiliating her with cartel. Plus your reference to her being picked off in short order could be seen as a subtle threat. I think you should appologize and beg for the forgiveness of everyone who has posted in this thread!!

This is not funny...you are making fun of a legitimate and life saving program such as witness protection. Also you have disrepected CTO by affiliating her with cartel. Plus your reference to her being picked off in short order could be seen as a subtle threat. I think you should appologize and beg for the forgiveness of everyone who has posted in this thread!!

I love that you left out that I am accusing her lawyer of all sorts of nefarious behavior. You're like an anti-dentite only with lawyers!!

I got disappointed because cto should know better. I have been on this board for years and years and respect her quite a bit. You, not so much. And that was also a joke.

I got disappointed because cto should know better. I have been on this board for years and years and respect her quite a bit. You, not so much. And that was also a joke.
Well, at least you didn't compare me to a murderer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cto
I once got out of a noisy muffler ticket by telling the officer that it was impossible for me to have a noisy muffler, because the muffler on my truck fell off a few weeks ago. I don't know why, but he thought that was so funny he was nearly in tears and he told me to drive away before he came to his senses.
Otto.. Thanks for reminding me; I actually have a true "noisy-muffler' story (the only other time a muffler has ever figured in my life).

The day after I graduated from SU, I packed all my worldly possessions into my beat-up 13-year-old Dodge and headed towards Westchester County. The problem was,, I did not have $5.60, the then combined toll for the NYS Thruway and Tappan Zee Bridge... so I had to take back roads and the free bridge at Hudson.

As I approached Sharon Springs, the rotting muffler literally fell off my car ... causing me to me drive down Main Street very noisily. I was pulled over by an officer who told me I had to replace the muffler before he would let me continue. I told him that the only reason I was in Sharon Springs in the first place... was that i had exactly no money. The Sharon Springs officer took pity on me and took me to a gas station where he convinced the owner to give me a new muffler -- based on my tearful gratitude and a promise that my father (who was also a police officer) would send him a check as soon as I got home.

When I got home, my father thought it was a wonderful story. After calling the upstate officer to thank him, he immediately put a check in the mail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom