Update on my traffic "arrest"... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Update on my traffic "arrest"...

I had forgotten about that particular black eye! There are so many. And they occur all over the world!
I was going to make a similar comment since you just had the black eye in Maui. What is it with you and black eyes?

Otto.. Thanks for reminding me; I actually have a true "noisy-muffler' story (the only other time a muffler has ever figured in my life).

The day after I graduated from SU, I packed all my worldly possessions into my beat-up 13-year-old Dodge and headed towards Westchester County. The problem was,, I did not have $5.60, the then combined toll for the NYS Thruway and Tappan Zee Bridge... so I had to take back roads and the free bridge at Hudson.

As I approached Sharon Springs, the rotting muffler literally fell off my car ... causing me to me drive down Main Street very noisily. I was pulled over by an officer who told me I had to replace the muffler before he would let me continue. I told him that the only reason I was in Sharon Springs in the first place... was that i had exactly no money. The Sharon Springs officer took pity on me and took me to a gas station where he convinced the owner to give me a new muffler -- based on my tearful gratitude and a promise that my father (who was also a police officer) would send him a check as soon as I got home.

When I got home, my father thought it was a wonderful story. After calling the upstate officer to thank him, he immediately put a check in the mail.

The officer then replied with a citation for an illegal lane change!

Reactions: cto
Another muffler story. My first car cost me $50 for a car that a little old lady was forced to sell because of her age (she wasn't from Pasadena but from Avery Ave in Syracuse above a grocery store). It was a 1955 aqua Buick so it was over 15 years old. I had to learn how to drive a standard and felt like I was in a tank. Within a week, it sounded like a tank - it hadn't been driven much (only 33,000 miles) and the muffler self destructed rather than be put to work anymore. I had no money to get it fixed, I couldn't sneak home after a night at Colemans' and friends were always ready outside when I went to pick them up alerted by the sound of my arrival a mile away. I always felt guilty since I was stopped at least 3 times and hated that I used the dumb blonde act(or was it?) saying "that's what's wrong with it? I was afraid the motor was blowing up. Thank you, is it dangerous? How do you spell it again M-U what..?" Never got a ticket thankfully.

My uncle bought my tank for $50 and I was able to buy a much more "modern" 1963 Dodge Polara(but 72,000 miles) with a push button transmission for $250 after the summer that was "only" 8 years old. I could revert to my brilliant self until the rear gear in the transmission went on the Dodge and I had to beg people not to park close to me since I couldn't back up anymore. It was embarrassing how old junker cars affected my IQ back then.:rolleyes:

Well no. But it just smacks of the legal system being completely arbitrary if you can just say "alright, I know you are here for X, but lets just pretend you did Z and all go have a beer."

On the other hand, maybe CTO got a reduced sentence in exchange for testifying against the true mastermind of people driving the wrong way down Harrison. They want the big fish!!

Yeah, I did traffic court while in law school through an externship program. It was kind of insane - and sad to witness. Every poor person walks in and just takes whatever you give them (usually max fine), and everyone else gets nada. They just walk up, ask for whatever they want (because lawyers do this so often), we agree, done. The whole thing was ridiculous. It pays not to be poor! :)

Another muffler story. My first car cost me $50 for a car that a little old lady was forced to sell because of her age (she wasn't from Pasadena but from Avery Ave in Syracuse above a grocery store). It was a 1955 aqua Buick so it was over 15 years old. I had to learn how to drive a standard and felt like I was in a tank. Within a week, it sounded like a tank - it hadn't been driven much (only 33,000 miles) and the muffler self destructed rather than be put to work anymore. I had no money to get it fixed, I couldn't sneak home after a night at Colemans' and friends were always ready outside when I went to pick them up alerted by the sound of my arrival a mile away. I always felt guilty since I was stopped at least 3 times and hated that I used the dumb blonde act(or was it?) saying "that's what's wrong with it? I was afraid the motor was blowing up. Thank you, is it dangerous? How do you spell it again M-U what..?" Never got a ticket thankfully.

My uncle bought my tank for $50 and I was able to buy a much more "modern" 1963 Dodge Polara(but 72,000 miles) with a push button transmission for $250 after the summer that was "only" 8 years old. I could revert to my brilliant self until the rear gear in the transmission went on the Dodge and I had to beg people not to park close to me since I couldn't back up anymore. It was embarrassing how old junker cars affected my IQ back then.:rolleyes:
Later I think I'm gonna start a thread about the worst car you ever owned.

Yeah, I did traffic court while in law school through an externship program. It was kind of insane - and sad to witness. Every poor person walks in and just takes whatever you give them (usually max fine), and everyone else gets nada. They just walk up, ask for whatever they want (because lawyers do this so often), we agree, done. The whole thing was ridiculous. It pays not to be poor! :)

I don't know if it's as much a matter of being "poor" as it is not knowing that one can go to a lawyer and get it reduced. I know I wasn't aware (not saying I'm the brightest bulb) until a friend told me after a speeding ticket up in Oswego, by a fellow co-worker who also got caught in the speed trap. This was only 10 years ago. The fine would have been $100 - the lawyer charged me $100, it was reduced to a non moving violation and a fine of $45. So I paid $145 vs $100 and a mark on my license.

I don't know why this "out" exists but I think if more people knew (Joyce didn't know until the board member told her) more people would do it.

Last edited:
Good grief! It is a good thing you did not tell us who the lawyer is. Think how much grief she would get ... or calls for help

Good grief! It is a good thing you did not tell us who the lawyer is. Think how much grief she would get ... or calls for help

Exactly. That is why I did not mention a name ... or any other details. Except to note it was a lurker.. which makes it pretty hard to identify someone who doesn't even post here

Last edited:
I don't know if it's as much a matter of being "poor" as it is not knowing that one can go to a lawyer and get it reduced. I know I wasn't aware (not saying I'm the brightest bulb) until a friend told me after a speeding ticket up in Oswego, by a fellow co-worker who also got caught in the speed trap. This was only 10 years ago. The fine would have been $100 - the lawyer charged me $100, it was reduced to a non moving violation and a fine of $45. So I paid $145 vs $100 and a mark on my license.

I only had one other speeding ticket ever and I paid the full fine and had a mark on my license. My husband used to be a mfg rep driving throughout the north-east , had probably 3 tickets and paid full each time. Would have been better, cheaper in the long run if we had known about the lawyer thing and kept it off his license and away from prying insurance eyes. I don't know why this "out" exists but I think if more people knew (Joyce didn't know until the board member told her) more people would do it regardless.

My experience has been to get a form from the DMV for a reduction in fine. You fill out the form, send it to he DA, and presto, reduction in fine and no points. Wait...someone told me about his, honest.

When I lived in NJ they would actually announce at the beginning of traffic court if anyone wanted to meet with the DA and make a deal to go to room xxx. They would give a reduced charge so that there would be no points to mess up your insurance, but the fine was usually more. It was quite the racket. Anyone could do it since they announced it in court. You did not need to know a lawyer. It really made the traffic tickets ineffective, and it was a nice source of revenue for all of the towns, because everyone jumped at the chance for the reduced tickets, but higher fine. The lines would get very long to see the DA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom