Upgrade / Downgrade at each position | Syracusefan.com

Upgrade / Downgrade at each position

CsonkaStash

Starter
Figured I would post the potential starting lineup and see if each position will be an upgrade or downgrade. Ratings out of 100 just my opinion. Please let me know if I am missing anyone and maybe add on to this post.

C - Pascal Chukwu / Sidibe and Marek (65) vs John Bol Ajak Bourama Sidibe and/or Marek (55) - Downgrade -10

Unfortunately this is our number one concern in the offseason after missing on Stewart. Pascal really struggled to even move in the last game of his career but showed at times he could pull in massive rebounds, block shots and change the ability for our competitors to drive. Bourama has shown small flashes of offensive skills but seems to still be hampered by his injury. I think Marek is too skinny and cannot compete down low at his current weight. I think we are worse next year at C unless we get a good transfer. I expect very little from Ajak as his talent is raw and he will not contribute right away.

PF - 2018 Oshae / Marek (70) vs 2019 Robert Braswell Oshae / Marek (80) - Upgrade +10

Hear me out on this, they will both improve next year and come back hungry (assuming Marek doesn't bolt which I don't think he will). Oshae needs to spend some time over the summer working on his outside shot and ability to dribble and finish. If Marek finally spends time with a strength coach, he improves. Braswell showed tremendous athletic ability and can finish but he needs to bulk up and play more physical I might be generous here but I think they will definitely improve.

SF - 2018 Elijah / Buddy (70) vs 2019 Elijah, Buddy and Quincy Guerrier (80) - Upgrade +10

Pretty good year for Elijah and Buddy shooting the ball albeit rough last game for buddy. Not sure who else to put at the 3 but we really rotate here a bit. Buddy more of a guard but also kind of in as a 3 as well. Quincy is legit and has great rebounding skills, can get his shot off quickly and is a good shooter. Hughes needs to work on bulking up (I sense a them) and driving to the hoop more as well. Guy could really put up Battle like numbers. Basically there is no way we don't improve at this position next year.

SG- 2019 Battle/Buddy/ Hughes (85) vs 2019 Brycen Goodine, Hughes, Buddy, Girard (75) Downgrade -10

Battle is going to be tough to replace. Showed at times he could go Beast mode and take over games, not sure we really have that next year from any of the players and their handle is not as good. Goodine is athletic, can drive and has a good handle but he is skinny as well needs to bulk up of course. I think overall ball handling improves next year. Buddy and Hughes should make improvements as well but this will be a downgrade due to the loss of Battle. Girard helps here and is a big wildcard but he will play point too. I think his shooting will impress and people will be surprised. He can shoot from anywhere, the question is will he get open looks.

PG - 2019 Battle /Howard/ Carey (70) vs 2019 Carey/Girard/ Goodine (80) Upgrade + 10

True point guard of course was a hole this year and really showed vs ball pressure. Goodine has a decent handle and despite what others say I think Carey does too. Girard may play point some and can dribble as well but we lose some on defense due to Frank's size and height.

Overall I think our team is slightly upgraded next year of course contingent on the fact that they improve. Here are my thoughts in each area

Rebounding - Upgrade (even with Pascal and Battle loss we can not possibly be worse that this year)
Shooting - Upgrade (the addition of Girard, Goodine and Quincy upgrades our shooting quite a bit)
Off the dribble Driving - Slight downgrade (Battle was probably our best although he did not get many calls when taking it inside)
Midrange game - Downgrade (Battle's favorite shot and had a great midrange step back)
3 point shooting - Upgrade (See Girard, Buddy, Goodine, Quincy)
Defense - Downgrade Frank was key in the zone when he played
Dribbling - Upgrade (Girard, Carey, Goodine all have decent handle

Anything I'm missing?

Losing Chukwu is going to be a much bigger deal than many here care to acknowledge.

I completely agree...I think Boeheim realizes it. Chukwu when he played well was a major difference maker. Not sure why he looked out of sorts last night but the guy had the potential every game to have an impact on defense, rebounding, etc...and his foul shooting became much better. Sidibe's foul shooting is terrible.

Boeheim will be watching old villanova tapes all summer trying to figure out how they kept all those guards on the court together and still won games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom