Upstate fracking could be great for SU Ball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Upstate fracking could be great for SU Ball

How in the hell is this even a debate? It's 100% proven to ruin clean water supplies, and now there is proof that it is causing tremors and earthquakes. Wy don't people nput efforts into wind and solar and stop using solutions that ruin our means fir survival?

Proven by who? Where is that research?

Wind and Solar won't be a viable option for decades, and we're supposed to keep pouring our money into the Middle East while we wait? No thanks.

Proven by who? Where is that research?

Wind and Solar won't be a viable option for decades, and we're supposed to keep pouring our money into the Middle East while we wait? No thanks.
Exactly, there has not been many studies done and the ones that have been done have showed that there is a higher tendency of methane buildup around the drill, but the only issue with that is the possibility of explosion which is about a five percent chance. There have been mixed results on water contamination. Some places have it, while a majority of places don't. I for one would rather have energy security even if it means a few people have contaminated ground water, which isn't that difficult to fix. Considering the threat of war in Iran over the freaking Strait of Hormuz.

Chesapeake has stopped drilling because there is TOO MUCH shale gas being discovered. And most of the natural gas is NOT exported. It's also worth noting that there has not been one proven case of fracking causing problems with drinking water. Pennsylvania has allowed plenty of fracking and it has created tons of jobs and a gusher of tax revenue. Of course the dolts in NY enjoy their status as unparalleled job killers so they want no part of it.

GOOD POINT, BUT THE PEOPLE OF PENNSYLVANIA ARE MORE GIFTED THAN NEW YORKERS, THEY
CAN BUY FIRE CRACKERS,
proven by who-the big guys who do the fracking or by the locals who have polluted water after they come?

the stuff the inject has been proven to have carcinogens

WHAT FLAVOR IS THE KOOL-AID YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING

I agree that it could help.

One of the reasons Texas became such a recruiting gold mine was oil drilling. Something similar could happen here, I'm not sure it'll be of the same magnitude however.

Regardless of your feelings on fracking, the idea that fracking in Binghamton will have such a significant impact on SU that would allow them to upgrade facilities is kind of silly IMO.

Fracking uses chemically dangerous (to humans) water to inject into the shale. When it pollutes the water supply (which has happened), there is absolutely no way to fix it. Since we need clean water to survive, it seems to me to be a risk not worth taking. I get my water from a well on my own property and have no interest in having water trucked into my home as has been done in cases where the water was contaminated. This is about money, pure and simple.

People that believe wind, water, and solar power are decades off are very uniformed. There are all kinds of ways to utilize even small amounts of wind to mitigate household requirements. Even slow moving water can generate significant KW of electricity. This is more about limiting what people can do on there own and maintaining a necessary dependence on a product that they (oil and gas) supply.

Fracking uses chemically dangerous (to humans) water to inject into the shale. When it pollutes the water supply (which has happened), there is absolutely no way to fix it. Since we need clean water to survive, it seems to me to be a risk not worth taking. I get my water from a well on my own property and have no interest in having water trucked into my home as has been done in cases where the water was contaminated. This is about money, pure and simple.

People that believe wind, water, and solar power are decades off are very uniformed. There are all kinds of ways to utilize even small amounts of wind to mitigate household requirements. Even slow moving water can generate significant KW of electricity. This is more about limiting what people can do on there own and maintaining a necessary dependence on a product that they (oil and gas) supply.

yup-

we sell american oil thats top grade and import the garbage from the middle east-we are only dependent because of govt coruption

Can you post that research or link to that technology?

Can you post that research or link to that technology?

Spend some time Googling mini water turbines and wind turbines. If you're willing to spend some hours chasing this stuff around, you'll be amazed at what has been done. They even have large water turbines that generate power based on tidal currents in the ocean. Its all there and available. The biggest problem is the bureaucratic nonsense where they make you jump through hoops in order to do any of it. Well, that and the unjustifiable high price of person wind generators.

People can be really stupid about some things. There is an opportunity near Truxton and Solon (NY) for a Wind Farm and we have people complaining that their sunsets will be ruined and claims that they sound like a jet at full throttle (absolutely false). Incredible, given the fact that we need clean, renewable power. This doesn't even take into the fact that local power would/should be cheaper, and the additional tax revenue would run into the millions of dollars. IMO, they should be thrilled to have that kind of interest in that kind of a project.

yup-

we sell american oil thats top grade and import the garbage from the middle east-we are only dependent because of govt coruption
Specifics?

How in the hell is this even a debate? It's 100% proven to ruin clean water supplies, and now there is proof that it is causing tremors and earthquakes. Wy don't people nput efforts into wind and solar and stop using solutions that ruin our means fir survival?

What a crock of shite that it causes damage to water supplies and earthquakes. Provide such proof, please.

Solar and wind? LOL. They are rounding errors in terms of energy supply in this country. And always will be. Any industry that has to be heavily funded by the govt to survive is not going to be viable. Solyndra anyone?

Spend some time Googling mini water turbines and wind turbines. If you're willing to spend some hours chasing this stuff around, you'll be amazed at what has been done. They even have large water turbines that generate power based on tidal currents in the ocean. Its all there and available. The biggest problem is the bureaucratic nonsense where they make you jump through hoops in order to do any of it. Well, that and the unjustifiable high price of person wind generators.

People can be really stupid about some things. There is an opportunity near Truxton and Solon (NY) for a Wind Farm and we have people complaining that their sunsets will be ruined and claims that they sound like a jet at full throttle (absolutely false). Incredible, given the fact that we need clean, renewable power. This doesn't even take into the fact that local power would/should be cheaper, and the additional tax revenue would run into the millions of dollars. IMO, they should be thrilled to have that kind of interest in that kind of a project.

It's hard for me to buy, any of this, when the Obama administration spent well over a half a billion dollars on one solar energy company. Why would they do that if such technology is A.) Available, B.) Able to make anything close to a dent in our energy needs?

If it's there, why wouldn't he spend that half a billion on getting it deployed? The answers on why he would do this, that I can come up with, are going to be painful come debate time in October/November.

Read up on the lastest on Solyndra.

Any industry that has to be heavily funded by the govt to survive is not going to be viable. Solyndra anyone?

LOL. If we subsidized clean energy the way we subsidize the oil industry, we'd all have solar panels on our roofs and drive electric cars. To use your parlance, Solyndra is a "rounding error" compared to what Big Oil gets. Even those pot-smoking, Birkenstock-wearing hippies at Forbes agree: Linky

LOL. If we subsidized clean energy the way we subsidize the oil industry, we'd all have solar panels on our roofs and drive electric cars. To use your parlance, Solyndra is a "rounding error" compared to what Big Oil gets. Even those pot-smoking, Birkenstock-wearing hippies at Forbes agree: Linky

The answer isn't to subsidize clean energy the way that oil is... it's to get rid of subsidies altogether. After SKIMMING the article, it looks like that is what the writer(s) are suggesting.

Thankfully, the $6 Billion/year ethanol subsidy, which had been in place since the energy crisis in the late 1970s, expired Jan 1 (congress, displaying it's usual backbone, simply didn't bring the renewal to the floor for a debate, let alone a vote).

IMO there's nothing inherently wrong with subsidies. But incentives are put in place to help build an industry, and whether the succeed or not, they should sunset.

It's hard for me to buy, any of this, when the Obama administration spent well over a half a billion dollars on one solar energy company. Why would they do that if such technology is A.) Available, B.) Able to make anything close to a dent in our energy needs?

If it's there, why wouldn't he spend that half a billion on getting it deployed? The answers on why he would do this, that I can come up with, are going to be painful come debate time in October/November.

Read up on the lastest on Solyndra.

Look, I don't wish to debate this on here with you or educate you on what is or is not available, no offense intended. I manufacture mechanical systems for a living and I am quite capable of calculating electrical outputs based on available technology and efficiencies. The stuff is available right now to put huge dents in the use of fossil fuels. If you honestly believe that big oil lobbies are not contributing to the snail pace of competitive fuel sources, you might be a bit naive. If I have time, I'll try to find some sites for you to look at.

Look, I don't wish to debate this on here with you or educate you on what is or is not available, no offense intended. I manufacture mechanical systems for a living and I am quite capable of calculating electrical outputs based on available technology and efficiencies. The stuff is available right now to put huge dents in the use of fossil fuels. If you honestly believe that big oil lobbies are not contributing to the snail pace of competitive fuel sources, you might be a bit naive. If I have time, I'll try to find some sites for you to look at.

I'm a do all of the above believer... do it all and trend toward green when it makes the most sense. But you're not going to get a more liberal guy than Obama in the White House. If it's that viable, what has his administration been doing? Solyndra? That was my point.

I'm a do all of the above believer... do it all and trend toward green when it makes the most sense. But you're not going to get a more liberal guy than Obama in the White House. If it's that viable, what has his administration been doing? Solyndra? That was my point.

Come on Faegan, have you never seen the government invest badly in a good field? They are the biggest screw ups around, liberal or otherwise.

Come on Faegan, have you never seen the government invest badly in a good field? They are the biggest screw ups around, liberal or otherwise.

Hey, I'm a small government proponent for exactly that reason. Get the government out of the way altogether, aside from safety concerns, and let the free market sort it out.

Are we truly desperate? Nope. if we were the government would be opening up everthing for fracking & drilling without a vote. Just buy a more efficient vehicle and 20-40 years from now we'll all be happier we have some resources left. By then our energy will be worth 10x more. The gov will take the land and frack everything when were truly desperate. until big oil lists the ingredients of their fracking juice I say em. I'm a republican and I've seen enough proof that fracking causes problems to drinking water and increases cancer hot zones.

So until we fix the welfare state and everything about big government waste I say it. If we stopped paying for lazy scumbags we could afford expensive energy.

Edit: Fracking will not bring SU new facilities,
Lmao. The argument of solar and wind is hilarious. Solar is not ready yet for the masses. its coming, science is progressing. subsidies for consumer is just a waste of money. Put that money toward research in us institutions not solyndra and subsidies for hippies in the woods. Or even worse for limousine liberals.

Wake up if it was ready it would be affordable and ready!

Obama is actually quite centrist if you took some time to look at his proposals...Republicans are just so far to the right now that he looks like a liberal. Nearly every political scientist worth listening has already stated that the US economy would fail without "big government". Our government is the reason we're still afloat, and many historian and political scientists have already said that many of the issues we have had is because there wan't enough government involvement. The recent recession because of Bush's de-regulation, and ridiculous spending along with the tax cuts are the best example. If you want small government then I suggest the Middle East or Africa.

Obama is actually quite centrist if you took some time to look at his proposals...Republicans are just so far to the right now that he looks like a liberal. Nearly every political scientist worth listening has already stated that the US economy would fail without "big government". Our government is the reason we're still afloat, and many historian and political scientists have already said that many of the issues we have had is because there wan't enough government involvement. The recent recession because of Bush's de-regulation, and ridiculous spending along with the tax cuts are the best example. If you want small government then I suggest the Middle East or Africa.

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER READ! WHERE THE HELL DO PEOPLE FIND THE FACTS TO TAKE THESE POSITIONS? I'M GUESSING FROM ACADEMIA. IT'S AMAZING THESE PEOPLE EXIST, NO OFFENSE BECAUSE IF YOUR SMART ENOUGH YOU CAN READ UP ON EUROPE AND MAYBE REALIZE YOUR PROFESSORS WERE LIARS AND MISINFORMED AGENDA DRIVEN PHONY'S.

THIS IS JUST AMAZING, I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT SOME PEOPLE ARE BRAINWASHED TO BELIEVE!! I JUST READ THIS, insanity !! YEP CALL THE PRESS OBABMA IS QUITE THE CENTRIST IF YOU JUST LOOK AT HIS PROPOSALS. I'M YELLING AT YOU! I unethically and probably illegally have received access to read some of his collegiate papers and transcripts. I strongly urge you to wait till his presidency is over till you call him anything close to centrist. He will be an embarassment to your party in the future when his true feelings of this country come out. I know people who will make these papers public in the years to come!

I HATE TO JUDGE YOUR INTELLIGENCE, SOME PEOPLE ARE SO NAIVE. IS THAT AN IQ PROBLEM? HIS PARTY IS WORKING OVERTIME TO KEEP THIS GUY FROM RUINING HIS PARTY AND RE-ELECTION CHANCES. HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANYTHING BUT FUNDRAISE, HE'S NOT A PRESIDENT. PEOPLE ARE SO FUNNY!!!
Obama is actually quite centrist if you
took some time to look at his
proposals...Republicans are just so far to
the right now that he looks like a liberal.

How can a normal possibly even educated person have these opinions, its mind blowing! I don't care if I've offended you! Enough is enough!

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER READ! WHERE THE HELL DO PEOPLE FIND THE FACTS TO TAKE THESE POSITIONS? I'M GUESSING FROM ACADEMIA. IT'S AMAZING THESE PEOPLE EXIST, NO OFFENSE BECAUSE IF YOUR SMART ENOUGH YOU CAN READ UP ON EUROPE AND MAYBE REALIZE YOUR PROFESSORS WERE LIARS AND MISINFORMED AGENDA DRIVEN PHONY'S.

funny-pictures-history-caps-lock.jpg

Yea, just like strip mining has been great for West Virginia ball. :rolleyes: