Upstate fracking could be great for SU Ball | Syracusefan.com

Upstate fracking could be great for SU Ball

SouthernCuse

Starter
I have been following the upstate fracking debate a little bit (there is a November article below that i will link it I can get the link button to show up) If young people will go to North Dakota for Oil extraction work - North Dakota, we're talking Fargo country here, they sure as heck will go to Binghamton. An active growing industry in upstate would bring in money, activity and young well-paid workers looking for things to do...like a trip to Turning Stone or a weekend in Syracuse and a trip to the Dome.

So much whining about facilities, well it takes money and money basically takes industry.

Some people probably don't agree with this, but its my take, I think it would be great for upstate and SU FBall would get some ancillary benefits.

And I have no dog in this fight. Other the fact that continued economic weakness in upstate perturbs me.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP5da167d5a1a24925ad93548807d09d30.html?KEYWORDS=fracking+new+york

I am currently in Williamsport, PA and I can tell you first hand of the economic boost the oil and gas industry gives communities. Besides a couple colleges and the Little League World series nothing was going on down here but then oil and gas came. Immediately hotels are booked 365 days a year, buildings are being renovated, and restaurants are booming.

There are obviously pros and cons, more traffic, less places to live, higher prices because of all the added people. It would be interesting to see how it affected Cuse sports, never really thought of that. The only problem is most O&G guys work 7 days a week.

It would be a bit of a stretch IMO to think that fracking in Binghamton will help SU realize enough money to pay for new facilities

It would be a bit of a stretch IMO to think that fracking in Binghamton will help SU realize enough money to pay for new facilities

Plus, people are fighting this tooth and nail.

They started leasing land about 5 years ago in the area I live which is NE of Binghamton. So I've seen the different communities fight tooth and nail for years now - it will be a long process.

I live between Binghamton and Syracuse, the oil people have been by here many times offering a pittance to lease my land. Look at the issues in PA, with disposal of fracking liquid, contaminated wells where the drillers refuse to accept responsibility, roads ruined by large truck traffic, etc... The oil workers are transient out of towners that are not very desirable in a community, higher crime is but one aspect. The few years of income for bars and restaurants is not worth the ruining of out growing tourist industry and the pollution of our wells and streams. Most towns in our area have passed ordinances to prevent hydrofracking.
To top it all off most of this natural gas is exported, prices are too low in the US, and it turns out that the Marcellus reserves are nowhere as large as previously believed. Chesapeake and others have pretty much stopped drilling.
Would not generate any income for SU, if anything would hurt by ruining the area.

quote="qdawgg, post: 177132, member: 52"]It would be a bit of a stretch IMO to think that fracking in Binghamton will help SU realize enough money to pay for new facilities[/quote]

Plus, people are fighting this tooth and nail.
[

BIG OIL is paying to fight against fracking, go figure.

The upstate area would benefit from this because the economy would get dramatically better, however to say that it would directly improve SU's facilities might be a stretch. Unless SU owns and is able to lease land like University of Texas. If that's the case, get ready for a cash infusion. But I don't think it is. I don't think all this even matters because NY isn't going to allow it...at least for a long time.

On a side note, I've actually discussed this scenario with SUNY Binghamton administration and have since cancelled my annual donation (which my company matches 3:1) because of the anti-fracking conventions held on campus.

I don't blame anyone for fighting it, and hopefully it has the effect that once it is done it is with the utmost care. We have to find someway to stop shipping our cash to the Middle East. It empowers them and ends up sending our troops home dead and wounded.

The big picture of increased natural gas and oil drilling in the US is energy security, which would allow the US to pull out of the Middle East (not entirely but to a great extent). On the local scale, hydrofracking would have it's issues, but the positives towards the amount of business and revenue it would produce outweigh the negatives heavily. There are always negatives to any sort of change. The only way I see SU benefitting is by the industry bringing in more talented players than what is currently here.

Here's a tip for anyone who's approached by a fracking company: Have your water tested then show the frackers the results. They'll never bother you again.

On a side note, I've actually discussed this scenario with SUNY Binghamton administration and have since cancelled my annual donation (which my company matches 3:1) because of the anti-fracking conventions held on campus.

Bring it across the valley. Broome CC has hosted pro (and anti) fracking debates, but no conventions. They ARE interested in developing technical programs to support the industry and supply it with a local workforce.

yup fresh drinking water isnt a issue-

this is a scam -they come and take -give very little and leave more pollution than onondaga lake

Well if the resulting earthquakes collapse the dome, and any other FB structures then we would have some new facilities to recruit with...

I live between Binghamton and Syracuse, the oil people have been by here many times offering a pittance to lease my land. Look at the issues in PA, with disposal of fracking liquid, contaminated wells where the drillers refuse to accept responsibility, roads ruined by large truck traffic, etc... The oil workers are transient out of towners that are not very desirable in a community, higher crime is but one aspect. The few years of income for bars and restaurants is not worth the ruining of out growing tourist industry and the pollution of our wells and streams. Most towns in our area have passed ordinances to prevent hydrofracking.
To top it all off most of this natural gas is exported, prices are too low in the US, and it turns out that the Marcellus reserves are nowhere as large as previously believed. Chesapeake and others have pretty much stopped drilling.
Would not generate any income for SU, if anything would hurt by ruining the area.

Chesapeake has stopped drilling because there is TOO MUCH shale gas being discovered. And most of the natural gas is NOT exported. It's also worth noting that there has not been one proven case of fracking causing problems with drinking water. Pennsylvania has allowed plenty of fracking and it has created tons of jobs and a gusher of tax revenue. Of course the dolts in NY enjoy their status as unparalleled job killers so they want no part of it.

Chesapeake has stopped drilling because there is TOO MUCH shale gas being discovered. And most of the natural gas is NOT exported. It's also worth noting that there has not been one proven case of fracking causing problems with drinking water. Pennsylvania has allowed plenty of fracking and it has created tons of jobs and a gusher of tax revenue. Of course the dolts in NY enjoy their status as unparalleled job killers so they want no part of it.

It's also worth noting that this isn't believable.

What is your opinion of the increase in earthquakes (or like in Ohio the sudden start of earthquakes where there were none before)?

It's also worth noting that this isn't believable.

What is your opinion of the increase in earthquakes (or like in Ohio the sudden start of earthquakes where there were none before)?

Global warming. ;)

proven by who-the big guys who do the fracking or by the locals who have polluted water after they come?

the stuff the inject has been proven to have carcinogens

proven by who-the big guys who do the fracking or by the locals who have polluted water after they come?

the stuff the inject has been proven to have carcinogens

Proven by whom?

How in the hell is this even a debate? It's 100% proven to ruin clean water supplies, and now there is proof that it is causing tremors and earthquakes. Wy don't people nput efforts into wind and solar and stop using solutions that ruin our means fir survival?