US LaxMag's 2021 Preseason All-Americans | Syracusefan.com

US LaxMag's 2021 Preseason All-Americans

The top midfielder on arguably the best midfield, Brendan Curry anchors Syracuse. In five games, Curry notched 14 goals and five assists while also shooting 36.8 percent.

Drake Porter led the ACC with a .577 save percentage, which ranked 12th nationally. He ranked second in the ACC in saves per game (12.8) and goals against average (9.65).

There is definitely a case to add trimboli to this list. I would definitely put Jack Hannah of Denver in the top three. Weird to have a guy who only played one game last year in over him, since he put up 27 points in 6 games.

Just a preseason list that will change at year end given so good players,. Sure Trimboli was a strong consideration .Handley certainly talented, had 3-2 vs Maryland in only 20" game .Hannah a beast, 12 goals in 3 games vs Duke, UNC n ND.

PRESEASON GOALIE OF THE YEAR
DRAKE PORTER, SYRACUSE
Porter has led the ACC in save percentage each of the last two years, stopping 57.7 percent of the shots he faced and averaging nearly 13 saves per game during the abbreviated 2020 season. He also emerged as a leader when Nick Mellen went down with an injury, barking out coordinates to the defense and even showing Syracuse’s offensive players how sometimes they tipped off their shots. Porter is set to become the Orange’s first three-year starter in goal since John Galloway.

There is definitely a case to add trimboli to this list. I would definitely put Jack Hannah of Denver in the top three. Weird to have a guy who only played one game last year in over him, since he put up 27 points in 6 games.

Yeah there are different ways to determine these lists, but since its a predicator of what is to come, I think its fine to put Handley on there. It is not a post-season list, which would award players for performances already completed (Handley was not on those lists last year). I think if Handley and all the other players are healthy for a full year, he will be an All-American. He had 35 and 26 as a frosh two years ago.

Hard to argue with much of this list. The Curry vs. Trimboli is an interesting debate, I guess this list assumes Curry will have a better season even though Trimboli out-performed him last year. Think Curry has more natural talent, but Trimboli had a great year last year and for me would get the nod if I had to choose one. Bet opposing coaches are not looking forward on decision of which to pole.

IL usually does a First, Second, Third and HM list, assume all three middies will be represented. Have to imagine Dearth, Scanlan, Kennedy get some recognition. Rhefuss and Phaup were named AA last year, curious if they get some preseason accolades.

Trimboli and the entire team really seemed like a team possessed last spring. it was painful losing the season as I had big expectations of a return trip to Memorial Day weekend. So glad many will get another chance at it. Feel for Nick Mellan.

At the end of the day these all american preseason lists are a good way to get pumped up for the season. It is more individual thing and less a team thing, my guess is when we hoist the trophy Trimboli wouldn’t care if Curry was All American or the other way.

I am glad to have two players on the list. It speaks to where we are heading as a program. Soon we will have attackmen on the list. Go Orange!

They're both good but for my money Trimboli is better. He's been the more productive player each of the past three seasons, and is a more accurate shooter. Curry is a fantastic speed dodger but I think Trimboli's arsenal of moves is a little deeper as well. Both make quick work of shorties but as a former defenseman my guess is Trimboli is probably the tougher overall cover for an LSM.

It seems a little strange that the Terps midfielder A.DeMaio doesn't make the team.
He was HM AA in 2019, and had 21 points in 6 games last spring.

DeMaio scored more than either Caputo (20 pts) or Montgomery (15 pts) and Duke played 8 games.

Last edited:
Great to see Syracuse well represented. But these are fan hype lists aka $$$. So its in their benefit to get more teams listed for more clicks ect. For our midfield it will likely come down to how teams defend us. We have 3 midfielders with talent to have great seasons. Defensive schemes will help dictate who sees the production. The attack should benefit from this as well and I could see Scanlan being AA.

It seems a little strange that the Terps midfielder A.DeMaio doesn't make the team.
He was HM AA in 2019, and had 21 points in 6 games last spring.

DeMaio scored more than either Caputo (20 pts) or Montgomery (15 pts) and Duke played 8 games.
Bias. The media is in love with Duke after all the player additions and it seems to have elevated the status of all their players. Sowers is exceptional and will do what he does, but it will be interesting to see how the rest of the pieces come together.

FWIW Rhefuss and Phaup fell off the list from the 2020 post season list. I can understand Rhefuss being left off (some good attackmen were injured last year including Epstein at Hopkins), but think Phaup deserves some preseason recognition. Hopefully they both use the snubs to fuel their fire this season.

Being ACC fans you might not care about it much, but they don't name a single Big Ten long stick (LSM or Defensemen) to the team. I think that Cardile at PSU was an HM AA back in 2019. Brett Makar is blossoming into a star for the Terps.

Why all this love for Notre Dame with 2 2nd team AAs on the close defense? Wasn't ND 2-3 last year?

Being ACC fans you might not care about it much, but they don't name a single Big Ten long stick (LSM or Defensemen) to the team. I think that Cardile at PSU was an HM AA back in 2019. Brett Makar is blossoming into a star for the Terps.

Why all this love for Notre Dame with 2 2nd team AAs on the close defense? Wasn't ND 2-3 last year?
Yes! If ND actually had 2 longpoles in the top 6 in the nation they wouldn't be giving up 13, 13, and 14 goals in their last three games. Someone was getting beat. Actually my fave defender on notre dame is ssdm John Hallenbeck (#24). Great cover guy, but it seems like the only ssdms who get recognition are ones that are flashy in transition. Seen Terefenko get beat quite a few times and don't think he is the best short stick cover guy, but he is so aggressive and dangerous on the fast break so he always gets the most love. Same could be said for Dearth. Zach Goodrich is the last famous SSDM who was actually the best cover guy, which should be valued above all else.

Yes! If ND actually had 2 longpoles in the top 6 in the nation they wouldn't be giving up 13, 13, and 14 goals in their last three games. Someone was getting beat. Actually my fave defender on notre dame is ssdm John Hallenbeck (#24). Great cover guy, but it seems like the only ssdms who get recognition are ones that are flashy in transition. Seen Terefenko get beat quite a few times and don't think he is the best short stick cover guy, but he is so aggressive and dangerous on the fast break so he always gets the most love. Same could be said for Dearth. Zach Goodrich is the last famous SSDM who was actually the best cover guy, which should be valued above all else.
good point on Terefenko, average cover. But he terrifies the other team, because he is sensational off the ground, smart, fast and aggressive in transition and a freaking lot of fun to watch.

Man that O'Keefe prediction is obnoxious. He is not breaking any records this year without Ament there. Sorry. Not happening. He is a great player and will score goals but I remain puzzled by the sentiment out there that Penn State will somehow not take any sort of step back now that Ament is gone.

The rest of the predictions don't seem very bold.

Thought I would put this article here since it is the same magazine. One fun little piece of info in here is that Scanlan strings Rehfuss' sticks. Says they have a very strong connection, due in part to the fact that he assisted on half of his 18 goals last season.

2021 NCAA Lacrosse Preview: No. 2 Syracuse (Men)
Stringing his sticks. It feels like so few players use traditional stringing these days.

Man that O'Keefe prediction is obnoxious. He is not breaking any records this year without Ament there. Sorry. Not happening. He is a great player and will score goals but I remain puzzled by the sentiment out there that Penn State will somehow not take any sort of step back now that Ament is gone.

The rest of the predictions don't seem very bold.
I tend to think that PSU might take a step back without Ament, but on the other hand they do have a nice group of veteran players and should not be taken lightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom