USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Full offensive to do what?. The only way the ACC could mount a winning defense would be with ND on board as full football member. ND would prefer to whore itself. ND always has been too good to get married but is itching to whore when the price hits Jeffery Epstein levels.

And that very sums up our time.
Why be deeply involved with Notre Dame, representing what they do. If a friend of yours was involved with a person of such character, you would tell them to get rid of them, it will only cause more pain and never work out, right.

In the new scheme of things the super conference's will have no students. And forming a semi pro league will be their downfall.
People don't want another pro league, and it may take 10 years but eventually most people will tune out.
TV dictates what people want, not the other way around. Think "reality tv". It was introduced and has settled in the the parasitic virus it is.
In general, sports fans don't care about the other stuff. Jim Brown is a Syracuse icon, despite his nefarious deeds. Same with Devo.
PSU fans still flock to games, despite the proof that it enabled and protected two serial sex abusers. Baylor's programs roll on. Nothing stopped the programs that allowed their women athletes to be sexually abused for decades.

Honestly if the ACC isn’t on a full offensive right now there are serious problems. They should have been more aggressive in the past since basically everybody saw this happening some way or another. Right now the only schools I think add value to the conference are Oregon, Washington , Stanford, Utah, OK ST, WVU, and obviously ND. We don’t get at least half of those and we’re screwed, or at least destined to practically be a 2nd division program. In this case the GOR actually ties our hands. We can’t make a move even if we were invited to. Some of the top schools like ND, Clemson, FSU might as well pay the fine and leave they’d be making so much money, but someone like Syracuse is stuck in the ACC until 2036 because of the GOR. By that time everything will be

Here’s the problem with this. Aside from adding ND as a full time member (which I don’t think happens) any additional member potentially invalidates the GOR. So if the ACC adds a realistic option say Kansas or WVU, it could open the barn door to let Clemson and FSU and Miami to leave.

Here’s the problem with this. Aside from adding ND as a full time member (which I don’t think happens) any additional member potentially invalidates the GOR. So if the ACC adds a realistic option say Kansas or WVU, it could open the barn door to let Clemson and FSU and Miami to leave.
I don’t believe this is correct. If the ACC adds members, they would have to sign the GOR all the other members of the conference have already signed. Nothing changes with the GOR. The new members are added. That is it.

There are both SEC and BT people talking about their dream model, which is 2 leagues of 32 teams each. Each league will have 4 divisions of 8 that are largely organized by geography. Each league will have its own playoffs (perhaps even more than 4 teams) to determine a league Champo, who will face the other league Champ in the Super Bowl of CFB.

NFL vs AFL become SEC vs. BT.

The only way this process could have been stopped was by Notre Dame being a full football member of the ACC and using all its clout to stop the nightmare. Both BT and SEC people knew they had won because they knew that Jack Swarbrick would publicly talk about the necessity of ND not being in a conference for football while behind the scenes he would plot with them.
I disagree, Notre Dame's decision if they leave by itself doesn't do anything to the landscape. USC and UCLA leaving while surprising doesn't change much as the Pac 12 was always the most likely of the top 4 conferences to be broken apart because of there failed PAC 12 network launch. It probably will end up with 2 super conferences with 24 teams as I think that is a much more realistic target as you can do 3 divisions of 8 with 1 spot for a wild card team in a playoff setting.

False

I don’t believe this is correct. If the ACC adds members, they would have to sign the GOR all the other members of the conference have already signed. Nothing changes with the GOR. The new members are added. That is it.
ND isnt coming in unless the ACC makes a Huge move. Would need Stanford, Washington, Oregon and then ND would need to receive a higher payout than the other members.

ND not joining and the ACC needs to add TV sets.

Stanford: Sanfran
Washington: Seattle
Kansas: KC St. Louis
Arizona: Phoenix

I’ve lived in several locations and always hated the local team. I guess the times have changed and I might be forced to choose someone , I’m leaning toward Michigan.
Don’t know why , but I do love “Hail to the Victors” and I’ve always liked their football helmets.
Plus we still have their beloved banner

Hmmmm I remember a elite 8 game in Chicago that seemed like an SU home game. Just one example of the popularity of SU basketball program that still draws fans when they hit the road.
Chicago, Buffalo, Boston, etc.

This is absolutely a critical point.

SU isnt going to either the SEC or the Big.
The ACC needs to make moves to ensure it becomes the 3rd conference. The GOR is solid. Teams leaving will at this point need to pay approximately 100M each to leave.
The ACC isnt going to disband as some have suggested.
I expect both the SEC to eventually land at 20 schools.
Much of this is happening based on the fact that contracts were expiring. Pulling teams out that only have a few years left is different than 12 years which is what remains on the ACC deal.
We are in much better shape than every conf other than the Big and SEC.
Hindsight is always 20-20. We didn't win the lottery but we will be ok
So ACC should bite the bullet and invite WVU, Cincy, Memphis.

Adds three states to conference, expanding footprint. Doesn't really add TV market though.

If push came to shove, try and add Army and Navy if you need two more.

Honestly my last post on this.

How people don’t get this.

The ACC is on borrowed time. Literally the only move that could save the conference is Notre Dame committing full time.

They aren’t going to do that.

ESPN owns the contract till 2036. The Big Ten will go on the market atleast one more time probably 2 times before that.

That is how revenues go up with multiple outlets willing to pay for content.

ACC expanding won’t effect the GOR it would just require codifying the existing GOR with new member. Expansion is stupid though unless ESPn promised a huge increase in annual payment and they aren’t going to do that unless ND committed full time and I doubt even there they would increase it that much. It’s a great deal for ESPN.

The ACC is screwed because ESPN isn’t going to increase the annual payment for free that isn’t how business works.
Espn will take advantage of this contract till it gets close to the end and if the conference doesn’t play ball would use the SEC to pick off whatever teams of value that ESPN wanted them to offer.

This exactly what happened with Oklahoma and Texas and the Big XII.

People need to realize this.

The GOR basically ensures the not desired ACC schools will get a payoff like UConn and the American teams got from the ACC years ago.

We are screwed.

Literally the only play that saves the ACC Notre Dame committing and the ACC dissolves and reformats as a new conference with the PAC-10 schools and the conference becomes a new mega conference that could go on the market and then all the schools would need to be committed and none looking out for themselves and jumping to the Big Ten or SEC which isn’t happening as everyone looks out for themselves.

Syracuse is going to go down a peg. It’s happening.
Notre Dame finally making their decision will cause the change reaction that is coming.

Notre Dame will look to have their cake and eat it as well as long as they can.
People need to realize when I was ripping ESPN and Notre Dame I saw this crap that was coming.

Last edited:
Going to assume expanding does not open up the GOR . Also assuming B1G grabs Washington and Oregon. I'd go hard to set up a bi-coastal league with the remainder of the P10. Our GOR puts us in a much stronger position to grab teams than the B12 whose GOR expires in 2 years. Divisions with a modest number of intersectional games.
I know this set of eyeballs is more likely to tune into a late West Coast game if it's a league game. Content well into the late East Coast night - right ESPN? Depending how many teams from the PAC join, ACC could still target other teams if they add value (e.g. WV, Cincy, UCF, a Texas school). ESPN would need to step up big time.

Going to assume expanding does not open up the GOR . Also assuming B1G grabs Washington and Oregon. I'd go hard to set up a bi-coastal league with the remainder of the P10. Our GOR puts us in a much stronger position to grab teams than the B12 whose GOR expires in 2 years. Divisions with a modest number of intersectional games.
I know this set of eyeballs is more likely to tune into a late West Coast game if it's a league game. Content well into the late East Coast night - right ESPN? Depending how many teams from the PAC join, ACC could still target other teams if they add value (e.g. WV, Cincy, UCF, a Texas school). ESPN would need to step up big time.
The B1G and the Pac have always been partners and the rest of the Pac teams of value and Notre Dame are going to the B1G, it's a done deal. The ACC needs to strengthen itself, build up the programs now members and lock up its footprint. It would be beyond huge for the conference if Syracuse football could have another glory era. That can happen with the right coach.

It's all about the student athlete.

Lol sure they will. The B10 can't wait to work out that enormous volleyball game between UCLA and Purdue in mid January or that Field hockey game in early October between USC and Rutty. There gonna need that 100 mill a year because it's gonna cost an absolute fortune for travel expenses.

So ACC should bite the bullet and invite WVU, Cincy, Memphis.

Adds three states to conference, expanding footprint. Doesn't really add TV market though.

If push came to shove, try and add Army and Navy if you need two more.

This isn’t going to happen. Bigger schools have asked and have been turned down. It’s really only Notre Dame. Unless something weird with the PAC happens.

Pitt definitely and although it pains me to say it, I think you are right about BC too
Bigger in terms of larger local television markets, but rest assured the Altimore Collins study showing the size and reach of the Syracuse fan base now has a prominent position in John Wildhack’s tool kit.

I would like to thank everyone for their input. The changes that have taken place; and apparently, that about to take place, just make me sad. This thread is like a car wreck. I would like to put it on ignore; but I just can’t help myself. I keep coming back.

Last edited:
We don't want to be in the BIG or SEC we'd get murdered in those 2 leagues.

I don't think those leagues will get that big how does it benefit anyone to be in a 24 team league and never play most of your conference members? ACC also looks to clearly be #3 right now and ahead of the P12 and B12.

I never understood the fearful “we would get murdered in that league” takes. Even if it’s true you either want to play at the big boy table or not. You have to be willing to partner with the best and hope you can use that affiliation to get better (recruiting, payout, facilities, etc)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom