USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

You never give up money in business without getting something in return. Business 101
Totally get that, but it’s part of the process.

Ignore the GOR, say here’s the exit fee, you have a week.

Otherwise we fight this to the death and look stupid.

There was a disagreement about what types of research dollars should satisfy the AAU’s metrics. SU was hurt by its lack of a medical school and limited biomedical research. Cantor felt efforts/research supporting her push to involve the university in the community (which eventually led to her departure) should count towards the metrics. The AAU didn’t agree.
I thought I had read something about rejoining but can’t recall where.
Nancy sucked

AAU aside, Rutgers proximity to NYC had a lot to do with it as well. Syracuse geographically is further from NYC than I think 3-4 other FBS programs. Which is why we’ve never “owned” NYC for recruiting and never will.
What other FBS programs are closer to NYC besides Rutgers? Penn State and UConn are around the same as Cuse. But we draw many many students from the city and LI.

Am I the only one who thinks USC and UCLA to the big ten is ridiculous?

Well, it is, but it doesn't start until 2024. By that time they will have completely wiped out the Pac-12, and USC and UCLA will be in some regional component of the B1G. The B1G just becomes the AFC and the SEC becomes the NFC.

They were the 2 key schools to get to ensure the gutting of the conference.

After reading the quote that the Big Ten is standing pat with Oregon and Washington and waiting on Notre Dame, I think it’s possible the Big Ten has given Notre Dame the option to join the conference and to add 3 of its own PAC schools. Does anyone think this is feasible? If so, which 3 PAC schools would ND prefer? I’d go with Stanford, Oregon and Washington

Well, it is, but it doesn't start until 2024. By that time they will have completely wiped out the Pac-12, and USC and UCLA will be in some regional component of the B1G. The B1G just becomes the AFC and the SEC becomes the NFC.

They were the 2 key schools to get to ensure the gutting of the conference.
Key question will be how many more Pac 12 teams does the B1G want, if any. If that number is low,then the ACC and B12 will battle for what's left.

The money wouldn't be worth it IMO. I rather stay in the ACC and get to 10 teams. A 20+ team national leftovers conference wouldn't be significantly higher in TV $. It actually might be worse. Even if it is slightly better, is it worth it for all the travel? Especially for non revenue sports?

ACC potential leftovers
SU, BC, Pitt, Duke, Wake, Louisville, Miami

Potential adds
Cincy, Temple, UConn, WV, Vandy, UCF, USF

Get to 10 teams from that and have a true round robin in FB and BBall.
That’s basically back to the big east.

Attachments

• BEE70DFF-E168-4970-B293-95B30BCB1F8C.jpeg
    BEE70DFF-E168-4970-B293-95B30BCB1F8C.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 174
Right now the GOR is working against us. I could see Clemson, FSU, and maybe Miami paying the fine to exit with so much money on the table, but the B10 isn't going to want Syracuse enough to offer anything before it expires in another decade. By then the SEC and B10 will be the only leagues that matter.

If college sports hadn't already been ruined enough and now this . Even if I am a fan of a B10 or SEC school I just don't see how this gets you excited? Compete against what 40 programs at the most with no out of conference games? It's still going to be the same 5-7 schools battling it out for the title every year. You would think being an "Academic institution" first and foremost that they are already bringing in enough $. At what point is more $ equal diminishing returns?

A GOR has never been broken. At least not one with 14 years left on it. If this was 2034, yes, I would agree with you.

Maybe the language of the contract is poor and ND will find a way to wiggle out only paying a few hundred million.

What are your feelings about ND abandoning its business partners and its cherished football independence? If ND joins the B1G, will that make you happy? Do you care about independence at all any longer?
What school who joined another conference in the history of realignment didn't "abandon its business partners"??

Can you name one?

I much prefer ND stay independent. I hate all conferences. I hate the Big Ten the most, almost since birth.

But, you conference and TV people keep mucking that up with your realignment BS.

You conference guys are the ones that made all these seismic changes, not ND.

So, here we are.

The Big Ten is not going to be the Big Ten. It is going to be a national, coast to coast conference.

ND would never join the Great Lakes based Big Ten for fear of being regionalized.

It wants a national schedule and a national recruiting reach. This new Big Ten gives it that, plus Southern Cal.

That was the one move that would entice ND. The Big Ten made it. The ACC sat on its ass.

Finally, in the future a school is either in a Tier One conference (SEC or Big Ten) or it is in Class A minor leagues.

The Tier One schools are going to get the best recruits, coaches, facilities, transfers, media exposure and TV times.

Everyone else will get the leftovers. I think that ND will end up in Tier One.

The $120 million a year (versus what, $45 if ND joined the ACC?) is just good business on top of all of the above.

I hate ND giving up independence. I hate the idea of it joining the Big Ten.

Well, everyone always demanded that ND football join a conference.

Ya'll may just get your wish soon.

Last edited:
What school who joined another conference in the history of realignment didn't "abandon its business partners"??

Can you name one?

I much prefer ND stay independent. I hate all conferences. I hate the Big Ten the most, almost since birth.

But, you conference and TV people keep mucking that up with your realignment BS.

So, here we are.

The Big Ten is not going to be the Big Ten. It is going to be a national, coast to coast conference.

ND would never join the Great Lakes based Big Ten for fear of being regionalized.

It wants a national schedule and a national recruiting reach. This new Big Ten gives it that, plus Southern Cal.

That was the one move that would entice ND. The Big Ten made it. The ACC sat on its ass.

Finally, in the future a school is either in a Tier One conference (SEC or Big Ten) or it is in Class A minor leagues.

The Tier One schools are going to get the best recruits, coaches, facilities, transfers, media exposure and TV times.

The $120 million a year (versus what, $45 if ND joined the ACC?) is just good business on top of all of the above.

Ya'll may just get your wish soone.
Amen.

The GOR was relevant, till it wasn’t.

It’s over.

Get it all done now.

Can you name one?

So, here we are.

Ya'll may just get your wish soone.

Eventually the media money bubble is going to pop though

Amen.

The GOR was relevant, till it wasn’t.

It’s over.

Get it all done now.
Its not over until another move is executed, USC and Ucla do nothing to the current full time members of the conference and ND's hands are tied unless they are willing to fork out 200 plus million

We were about to get tossed from the AAU. Those were the Cantor days I believe.
The AAU is primarily focused on medical research. SU sold their medical school in the sixties(?) so the AAU was less interested. UNL was about b=to be dropped, too, and chose to leave the AAU. Nebraska's medical school is not in Lincoln. Such is life.

ACC and PAC combine and then add Kansas, Iowa State and a couple of the Texas schools.
You need to go big or not at all, the 3 conferences need to become 1 and add the 4 to get to 48.

I wonder what the odds are that over the next 5 years or so, two super conferences form, the in another 10 years or so, everyone thinks they suck, and we go back to normal conferences again
Well if they can make more money that way then sure.

Can you name one?

So, here we are.

Ya'll may just get your wish soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom