USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

What are the odds that ESPN recognizes they are underpaying an asset, thus putting it at long-term risk, and alters that deal to the positive, such that major brand-teams feel like they're getting a good-enough deal with a clearer path to the CFP at the end?

I realize Disney owns ESPN, and Disney's mgmt has been under real pressure lately...does ESPN have the capacity, wherewithal, autonomy to solve their initial bad investment?

I don't know the background of FOX's College sports ambitions or financials, but they seem to be far more advanced than Disney's?

1. If I’m Notre Dame, I do what’s in the best interest of Notre Dame. They don’t owe anybody anything. Every school should do what’s best for them given the outlook for the future of CFB

2. If I’m Notre Dame, and the only thing keeping me in the ACC until 2036 is the GoR buyout, I tell the big Ten that we will gladly accept membership if you pay our buyout.

3. All these discussions of the ACC adding teams fails to take into account that the only school that moves the needle dollar and sense wise is ND. ESPN isn’t ponying up any more dough for WVU or the Pac 12/Big 12 grab bag.

4. I’ll be 69 years old when the ACC GoR expire. We have sucked for twenty years and will suck for the rest of my life. I don’t give a sh3t anymore. I’ll go to a game a year, watch them on TV. But the glory days ain’t coming back.

5. I want ESPN to choke on the bone, one way or another.

6. SUs primary focus should be on optimizing the hoops HC transition. Lax is dead, football is dead, hoops is on life support.

Syracuse does not bring anything to the big ten. People need to face facts we are a small school with limited means. We can’t sell out a single football game and not many for basketball. Our two big programs have been down for a while. The big ten is not calling us unless the conference goes to 30 and that won’t be for a long time if ever. These schools want big name schools that bring a roi. We do not do that. Sorry to say we are going to be relegated to a lower level and we should accept that. It’s probably for the better anyways considering our records as of late.

Notre Dame has 2 choices since they are not going to spend the money to buy out their GOR. They can stay at the status they are currently at or they can become full members of the ACC. If they stay indy in football and wait until the GOR becomes smaller, I don't think the conference is going to do them any favors and will largely treat them as an interloper, or they can join the ACC and contribute to the league and then leave when the GOR is doable. They really only have 1 choice.
To follow up on my previous post there is no way that ESPN would allow the Big to poach the ACC. SEC maybe but not until the GOR is significantly reduced. The GOR works both ways for the ACC as a whole.
For Syracuse and Wake BC and Pitt it's a God send. For schools like NC, FSU, Clemson it's an anchor.
SU is very lucky that it will cost ND and the other valuable schools an arm and a leg to get out now. If not those schools would be long gone, and we would be left holding our Johnsons.
Time is what SU needs. Time to get our facilities built, to replace JB, to see if Dino makes it or not. Time for the dust to settle. Freedom for us today is death. Thank goodness for the GOR I believe it keeps ND independent and keeps the ACC in the game for them.

1. If I’m Notre Dame, I do what’s in the best interest of Notre Dame. They don’t owe anybody anything. Every school should do what’s best for them given the outlook for the future of CFB

2. If I’m Notre Dame, and the only thing keeping me in the ACC until 2036 is the GoR buyout, I tell the big Ten that we will gladly accept membership if you pay our buyout.

3. All these discussions of the ACC adding teams fails to take into account that the only school that moves the needle dollar and sense wise is ND. ESPN isn’t ponying up any more dough for WVU or the Pac 12/Big 12 grab bag.

4. I’ll be 69 years old when the ACC GoR expire. We have sucked for twenty years and will suck for the rest of my life. I don’t give a sh3t anymore. I’ll go to a game a year, watch them on TV. But the glory days ain’t coming back.

5. I want ESPN to choke on the bone, one way or another.

6. SUs primary focus should be on optimizing the hoops HC transition. Lax is dead, football is dead, hoops is on life support.

I was with you til bullet 6 point 2.

What are the odds that ESPN recognizes they are underpaying an asset, thus putting it at long-term risk, and alters that deal to the positive, such that major brand-teams feel like they're getting a good-enough deal with a clearer path to the CFP at the end?

I realize Disney owns ESPN, and Disney's mgmt has been under real pressure lately...does ESPN have the capacity, wherewithal, autonomy to solve their initial bad investment?

I don't know the background of FOX's College sports ambitions or financials, but they seem to be far more advanced than Disney's?
This is what I was thinking. Can ESPN afford for it’s 2nd best conference to break up and have the content that remains become less valuable over time? What is the cost to them in that scenario? Are we worth more whole and on par?

This is what I was thinking. Can ESPN afford for it’s 2nd best conference to break up and have the content that remains become less valuable over time? What is the cost to them in that scenario? Are we worth more whole and on par?
What they can do is to close the gap and ensure that they own the eastern seaboard and the SEC. I don't see them screwing up the ACC. The Pac had nothing. TV deal was a joke. The 12 has assets but the ACC has the GOR and unless ESPN is stupid, they will make sure that the league has enough to keep it together but leave SEC in the top position. I'm great with that as our winner will get a bid and some years, we might get two.

To follow up on my previous post there is no way that ESPN would allow the Big to poach the ACC. SEC maybe but not until the GOR is significantly reduced. The GOR works both ways for the ACC as a whole.
For Syracuse and Wake BC and Pitt it's a God send. For schools like NC, FSU, Clemson it's an anchor.
SU is very lucky that it will cost ND and the other valuable schools an arm and a leg to get out now. If not those schools would be long gone, and we would be left holding our Johnsons.
Time is what SU needs. Time to get our facilities built, to replace JB, to see if Dino makes it or not. Time for the dust to settle. Freedom for us today is death. Thank goodness for the GOR I believe it keeps ND independent and keeps the ACC in the game for them.
This is just wrong.
Notre Dame will do whatever is in their best interest.

ESPN doesn’t give a chit about the ACC. They had the SEC raid Oklahoma and Texas because they didn’t want to pay the Big XII then just wanted the value of the conference.

Fox just did the same thing to the PAC-12 with UCLA and USC.

ESPN isn’t going to just pay the ACC more just because they have good value and will bleed it out.

The ACC is going to get carved up by the Big Ten and SEC.
It will just be a couple of years.

When the revenues become even bigger in gaps those valuable ACC schools will bite the bullet.

People don’t get the GOR. They give the less valuable schools a payout in the end.

ESPN isn’t going to pay the ACC and it won’t let the ACC get on the open market.

Fox and ESPN will decide which brands they want their conferences to attempt and get.

Notre Dame is the next piece to move.

Then North Carolina will be next.

If the ACC schools were smart they would get ahead of the Big XII and try to do a merger with the PAC-10 schools but it doesn’t appear on their plans.

ACC should go hard after B12 and PAC. If it’s game on, then make your move.

This is just wrong.

ESPN doesn’t give a chit about the ACC. They had the SEC raid Oklahoma and Texas because they didn’t want to pay the Big XII then just wanted the value of the conference.

ESPN isn’t going to just pay the ACC more just because they have good value and will bleed it out.

When the revenues become even bigger in gaps those valuable ACC schools will bite the bullet.

People don’t get the GOR. They give the less valuable schools a payout in the end.

ESPN isn’t going to pay the ACC and it won’t let the ACC get on the open market.

Fox and ESPN will decide which brands they want their conferences to attempt and get.

If the ACC schools were smart they would get ahead of the Big XII and try to do a merger with the PAC-10 schools but it doesn’t appear on their plans.
WVU would love to be in the ACC. ACC should go after them first. No it’s not huge, but it would suggest that the Big12 is vulnerable even to the ACC. Then pursue the teams you really want. And from the PAC, start with Stanford.

ACC needs to beat the Big 12 to this. We have the academic prestige that the Big 12 can’t touch, and that’s the other thing that school Presidents care most about.
The ACC is done. This is a B10/SEC thing and whoever gets left out will just be a D2 program no matter what conference they’re in be it the ACC, B12, or PAC 12.

WVU would love to be in the ACC. ACC should go after them first. No it’s not huge, but it would suggest that the Big12 is vulnerable even to the ACC. Then pursue the teams you really want. And from the PAC, start with Stanford.
ACC should go hard after B12 and PAC. If it’s game on, then make your move.
How will these moves increase the TV payouts such that each existing ACC school gets $1 more and each new school gets a full share? The math doesn’t work.

This is just wrong.

They cant go after anyone without ESPN on board.
Ill stick with my position. Its what i would do in a business move. I would control all of those teams. Both leagues. Otherwise when the SEC comes up for renewal i would have zero leverage

Realignment end game.
math GIF

I have 2 questions.

#1) If the ACC does whatever ESPN tells them, why didn’t ESPN tell the ACC to vote for playoff expansion?

#2) Why would SEC and BIG 10 continue to add a bunch of teams? Every team they add means tv deal is split with more schools. 1/16 of a deal is better than 1/24 or 1/32.

I have 2 questions.

#1) If the ACC does whatever ESPN tells them, why didn’t ESPN tell the ACC to vote for playoff expansion?

#2) Why would SEC and BIG 10 continue to add a bunch of teams? Every team they add means tv deal is split with more schools. 1/16 of a deal is better than 1/24 or 1/32.
ACC actually tried to stand up to ESPN last year.
That is why they did the alliance with Big Ten and Pac-12.

ACC doesn’t do what ESPN tells them. The ACC has no leverage. ESPN owns them.
ESPN isn’t going to give the ACC money for no reason when it can just tell the SEC to do what did to Oklahoma and Texas.
ESPN wanted the playoff expanded and the SEC commissioner leading the movement so it could freeze Fox out of it.

I said all this stuff last year.

The Big XII rights were going to go on the market. The conference wanted an increase. The Big XII rights currently were split between Fox and ESPN for football.

ESPN told the SEC go and get Texas and Oklahoma which are estimated to be between 60-80% of the Big XII value.
ESPN will make it worthwhile for the SEC to the tune of an extra 100-200 million per year and now ESPN doesn’t have to split Texas and Oklahoma with Fox and the Big XII rights aren’t going to be expensive without Texas and Oklahoma.

The ACC is good value for ESPN they own the rights for a long time and the fees are a lot cheaper than SEC or Big Ten.

On your second part those conferences aren’t going to get 32 teams. That is just stupid. The fat is going to get trimmed.

The PAC-12 was looking at 500 million per year losing USC and UCLA are going to take atleast 200 million off that.

That money will go to the Big Ten as now BTN will be charging 1.50 per cable subscriber in LA. USC and UCLA paid for their own inclusion.

The ACC is on borrowed time because it can’t get on the market and ESPN owns it.

ESPN isn’t going to give the ACC money for no reason when it can just tell the SEC to do what did to Oklahoma and Texas.
ESPN wanted the playoff expanded and the SEC commissioner leading the movement so it could freeze Fox out of it.

The Big XII rights were going to go on the market. The conference wanted an increase. The Big XII rights currently were split between Fox and ESPN for football.

ESPN told the SEC go and get Texas and Oklahoma which are estimated to be between 60-80% of the Big XII value.
ESPN will make it worthwhile for the SEC to the tune of an extra 100-200 million per year and now ESPN doesn’t have to split Texas and Oklahoma with Fox and the Big XII rights aren’t going to be expensive without Texas and Oklahoma.

The ACC is good value for ESPN they own the rights for a long time and the fees are a lot cheaper than SEC or Big Ten.

On your second part those conferences aren’t going to get 32 teams. That is just stupid. The fat is going to get trimmed.

The PAC-12 was looking at 500 million per year losing USC and UCLA are going to take atleast 200 million off that.

That money will go to the Big Ten as now BTN will be charging 1.50 per cable subscriber in LA. USC and UCLA paid for their own inclusion.

The ACC is on borrowed time because it can’t get on the market and ESPN owns it.
Thanks

Terry and ND fans will say why if we are giving up our independence should we not take the biggest paycheck available.

Aka join the Big Ten.

It’s why ND is a parasite and is the worst.
They don’t value partnership they think they are above it and keep getting their way.
Why because they know in the end they will take the paycheck from the Big Ten but don’t want to do it until they are forced too.

It’s why the other conferences shouldn’t have allowed ND the status quo. Make them join the Big Ten. They don’t want to then they will join another conference but don’t give them what they have now.

The ACC could survive if ND committed full time. They won’t and nor do I expect them too. They are what I have said the whole time a parasite who wants the status quo.

The 14 ACC schools are going to get carved up. Some to the Big Ten, some to the SEC and the rest will be a new Big East football conference circa post Miami.

Not as good as the power conferences but better than the mid majors.

We have neglected football for far too long.
It’s our own fault.

We have been getting ACC checks since 2013 and where was investment in football right away? It took years to get charter planes, increase the recruiting budget.

We went cheap with Shafer, and took the paychecks.

I like Dino but keeping him was a total cheap maneuver.

We aren’t serious about football so we can’t complain we are going to go down a peg.

It’s looking like 4 Pac-12 teams Arizona/Arizona State/Utah/Colorado will look at the 12 Big 12 school for a 16 team league.

Washington and Oregon are really the ones to watch.
I don’t think they are locks for the Big Ten. Stanford and Cal make way more sense.
Money is all that matters, partnership (conferences/ND) was an argument to get more money, ND doesn’t need the partnership on the football side if they join any other conference so why would they limit themselves? Their goal isn’t to keep the ACC alive, and it shouldn’t be, they don’t owe them anything. This is time for survival, not for some fan-pushed loyalty. If Syracuse got a Big Ten invite we would be chomping at the bit to get out of the conference.

The ACC is done. This is a B10/SEC thing and whoever gets left out will just be a D2 program no matter what conference they’re in be it the ACC, B12, or PAC 12.

Barring political intervention, it's really that simple. The only moves to make are reactive.

I get that - but creating haves and have nots is problematic long term to the overall value of CFB. It’s a hell of a gamble.

In the next 3-4 years both Mens and Women's lax will win a NC. Football will rise from the dead and hoops will make a slow and steady comeback to respectability.

Adapt or die.

I have a friend who is very well connected with Utah sports and media , he tells me that belief is around the athletic department expect the Big 12 to raid the PAC 12 before end of summer probably 4 schools . Meetings will be happening as soon as this week. I don’t know how iron clad that GOR is for ACC But the conference better think outside the box quick or it will die. The Big12 starts to expand it will make it harder to poach whoever the SEC and Big 10 don’t take. I hope enough Acc schools find a way to get taken that the GOR gets dissolved and we by some miracle get a life raft out of the ACC. Best case is Big 10 and Sec got to 24 and we sneak in.
None of that makes logical sense. The B12 is small potatoes. Zero reason for a P12 school to move. And that won’t keep trans from leaving for the SEC or B1G. ACC dissolving GOR lol. Come on man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom