USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

100 percent. The Big10 was always concerned about losing PSU to the ACC. Penn State was on an island alone in the East with none of its historic, natural rivalries in the same conference with them anymore. If the ACC had gotten their network started earlier, it could have been a whole different ballgame. FSU, Miami, Penn State and Clemson in the same conference, plus the possibility of ND. Jim Delaney’s enduring legacy/greatest move was starting the Big10 Network. It was mocked a bit as a money-loser at the time, but the revenue that was eventually produced there put the Big 10 far ahead of other conferences in TV revenue.
Which is why I disagree with the talk about joining the ACC in 2011 being a "mistake" because we should have tried for the B1G instead. If people would just rather be in that conference for geographic or affiliation reasons, that's fine. But there was no guarantee that the B1G was going to be one of two super conferences just a decade later.

Which is why I disagree with the talk about joining the ACC in 2011 being a "mistake" because we should have tried for the B1G instead. If people would just rather be in that conference for geographic or affiliation reasons, that's fine. But there was no guarantee that the B1G was going to be one of two super conferences just a decade later.
Absolutely. Syracuse did what they had to financially at the time with the least amount of friction cost. had they waited and the BIG said yes to Rutgers, imagine the hindsight then!

I hate reallignment yet it's the only thing I love to banter about on this board so i'm a self hating person :)

If there was a hockomock league message board i'd be arguing about Milford and Attleboro joining too. (that's a joke for Scooch)

There's another aspect to schools with a no class approach. If "no class" football factories become identified as such in the public perception, that identification could in some ways hurt their recruiting. Sure some elite athletes who just want a shot at the NFL will find it attractive. But it's not like the NBA where an 18 year old kid would have at least a better sense of their ability to make the pros than would a FB player.

A college degree from no class universities would essentially be meaningless to employers and leave employers with a "dumb jock" applying for a job. Decent students and their parents with any sense of rational thinking would understand this and would therefore be more inclined to go somewhere where their degree is actually worth something in the (likely) event the athlete does not make the pros.

Then of course as you point out, do school Chancellors and BOTs want to be known as operating dumb jock schools? Some may not care, but most would.
I think a “no class” model would be incredibly easy to compete against. After all, one is college football, the other is not.

Absolutely. Syracuse did what they had to financially at the time with the least amount of friction cost. had they waited and the BIG said yes to Rutgers, imagine the hindsight then!

I hate reallignment yet it's the only thing I love to banter about on this board so i'm a self hating person :)

If there was a hockomock league message board i'd be arguing about Milford and Attleboro joining too. (that's a joke for Scooch)
I am here for ALL the Hockomock League banter!

Dabo Swinney thinks CFB may end up in one big league...

Mack Brown's take...

Phillips putting on a good face for the conference or in la la land, not sure which...

Are people forgetting that there was a moment in time when the ACC came close to convincing Penn State to leave the B1G and join? It was not a foregone conclusion 12 years ago that the B1G would forever top the ACC in terms of value.
I have never heard about this before. Can you tell me more? What did “close” look like? Was there a Board of Trustee vote or a feasibility study?

"Stifling opposing viewpoints" and pointing out silly and illogical opinions are not the same thing.
It's not silly or illogical to think that our conference, our athletic department and our football program are all in adverse circumstances. Maybe they will all turn out for the good, but right now, they are spinning sideways.

It's not silly or illogical to think that our conference, our athletic department and our football program are all in adverse circumstances. Maybe they will all turn out for the good, but right now, they are spinning sideways.
I agree that we have seen better times on the Hill, but I have also seen much worse. The walk out on Ben, Crumbling Arch, the push to deemphasis football. Being left behind in the first ACC expansion, two sanctions, Bernie Gate, Grob, having to play in NYC to make ends meet. The diminutive nightmare, Covid and so much more.

Today SU is in much better shape that at many times. The wild west unregulated situation that is dominating collegiate sports is the issue not so much SU. The GOR will in my opinion buy the ACC and with-it SU the time needed for everything to sort itself out. In the end SU will be fine. We might not be in a pay for play league, but we will be where we belong. With like-minded institutions that place academics first.
Its where we should be and where I want us to land.

{snip}

A college degree from no class universities would essentially be meaningless to employers and leave employers with a "dumb jock" applying for a job. Decent students and their parents with any sense of rational thinking would understand this and would therefore be more inclined to go somewhere where their degree is actually worth something in the (likely) event the athlete does not make the pros.

{snip}
I totally disagree with what you've posted, especially the highlighted portion. The players won't have degrees, whereas they already have those worthless ones you decried now.

Two top Mexican soccer teams, the Pumas and the Tigres, are owned by the National Universities in Mexico City and Nuevo Laredo, respectively. They are the franchise owners just like Mark Cuban is the franchise owner of the Mavericks or the Steinbrenner family is the franchise owner of the Yankees. No one thinks any less of them because they own soccer teams. Students in Mexico still strive to go to the University in Mexico City. To them, it's like Harvard owning the Red Sox. It will be the same way with the "no class required" teams. The schools will be franchise owners. I seriously doubt anyone will think less of Southern Cal or Michigan because they own teams.

I agree that we have seen better times on the Hill, but I have also seen much worse. The walk out on Ben, Crumbling Arch, the push to deemphasis football. Being left behind in the first ACC expansion, two sanctions, Bernie Gate, Grob, having to play in NYC to make ends meet. The diminutive nightmare, Covid and so much more.

Today SU is in much better shape that at many times. The wild west unregulated situation that is dominating collegiate sports is the issue not so much SU. The GOR will in my opinion buy the ACC and with-it SU the time needed for everything to sort itself out. In the end SU will be fine. We might not be in a pay for play league, but we will be where we belong. With like-minded institutions that place academics first.
Its where we should be and where I want us to land.
I fail to see how giving athletes free tuition, room and board as well as many other perks hasn't been pay to play all along.

Going to ask a dumb question, can they do that? Meaning, if that were to happen, wouldn't Ohio St basically have to spin off the football team as a separate entity and becoming a for-profit business? I am not even remotely close to understanding the legal issues, but wouldn't that throw things into a total mess?
Yes, that's exactly what will happen in regard to team ownership. Universities own patents that make them money, usually by getting payments from companies that actually "manufacture" what the patents cover. They currently plow that back into the school. Under the semipro system, they'll have to pay taxes on what they make from football offset by what profit goes back into athletics at the school.

very strong isn't the $100 mil they are going to get in the Big 10, not even remotely close, especially splitting the pie so many more ways. and Gavin Newsom isn't going to be able to stop UCLA from leaving. You do continue to entertain me with the hot to the point of being burnt beyond recognition takes, however, so don't change who you are, Cous!
It's not Gavin Newsome as much as it's the Regents of the University system and the legislature. Yeah Mark Warner made all those grand pronouncements that seemed to get VPI into the ACC, but it was the whisperings of the legislators into the ears of the UVa hierarchy that carried much more weight.

And that’s not what you were saying.

The only thing spinning sideways is your hot take.

We're not UCONN and we're not a PAC12 school negotiating without our largest market. We're protected by the GOR, somewhat, and as such have time to figure stuff out. The NE is important for TV/media eyeballs and will continue to be so.

It's hard to be a private school in the NE with less CFB talent in-state than many other schools - but this has been our lot since forever.

Yes, that's exactly what will happen in regard to team ownership. Universities own patents that make them money, usually by getting payments from companies that actually "manufacture" what the patents cover. They currently plow that back into the school. Under the semipro system, they'll have to pay taxes on what they make from football offset by what profit goes back into athletics at the school.
Well the minute SU spins off FB and BB for profit is when their donations nosedive.

College athletics is at a crossroads. The NCAA are terrified of more lawsuits and terrified the major conferences are going to break away and take all the money from them. So they are at a stage where almost everything is becoming legal. And their is so much gray area that no one can be punished for cheating (paying players for lesser services). At some point the conferences need to get together and make a standard of rules for everyone to follow. Because right now it is the Wild West and everyone is playing by different rules. Ultimately that will kill the sport. All major sports have rules and it is what keeps the sport fair. Currently this system is like a worse baseball. No salary cap and the top teams get more and more of the best players every year. While their is no draft to supplement and make the lesser teams competitive. Sports are more entertaining when there is parity.

Well the minute SU spins off FB and BB for profit is when their donations nosedive.
I can't imagine seeing SU do that. There will be a long list of schools that don't because there will only be about 20-30 that do. Top of the list of those that will: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Ohio State, and (with this latest move) Southern Cal.

College athletics is at a crossroads. The NCAA are terrified of more lawsuits and terrified the major conferences are going to break away and take all the money from them. So they are at a stage where almost everything is becoming legal. And their is so much gray area that no one can be punished for cheating (paying players for lesser services). At some point the conferences need to get together and make a standard of rules for everyone to follow. Because right now it is the Wild West and everyone is playing by different rules. Ultimately that will kill the sport. All major sports have rules and it is what keeps the sport fair. Currently this system is like a worse baseball. No salary cap and the top teams get more and more of the best players every year. While their is no draft to supplement and make the lesser teams competitive. Sports are more entertaining when there is parity.
The Alabamas and Ohio States want the chaos because it serves their purpose of getting out from under the NCAA, so they can do whatever they want. They don't want fairness, they want the money.

The Alabamas and Ohio States want the chaos because it serves their purpose of getting out from under the NCAA, so they can do whatever they want. They don't want fairness, they want the money.
They are already raking in the money. Right now it is tax free, last thing the schools want to do is pay taxes. They will do whatever they can, just like the rich to avoid taxes!!

They are already raking in the money. Right now it is tax free, last thing the schools want to do is pay taxes. They will do whatever they can, just like the rich to avoid taxes!!
It's not enough and they've got to share it equally. That's totally unsatisfactory in their view. They believe (and they're probably not wrong) that the extra money they'd get, even after taxes were paid, would be more than what they get now.

It's not enough and they've got to share it equally. That's totally unsatisfactory in their view. They believe (and they're probably not wrong) that the extra money they'd get, even after taxes were paid, would be more than what they get now.
What is not being discussed is that Networks have been underpaying for decades and are still underpaying. Football is sait to drive the bus, but more likely, the networks float that to keep the number of negotiations down and under control. I've sports are viewed heavily and that is what brings in the serious revenues to the networks.

If networks can pay multimillion dollar deals to analysts and announcers, it is fair to assume they are making too much money, too. Most of them aren't worth more than a buddy or a guy at the bar anyway. Most decent sports boards have at least a few good analysts who are better than most TV and radio personalities.

Anyway,.the IRS will help make some schools and players come back to reality. When kids start having to report every garment, shoe, meal, hotel room, etc., tracking as expenses and offsetting income that their formerly free tuition, room, board, boks, lab fees, etc. used to be, then they will want the old ways. Sure, the 85 football players and 13 hoopsters may not, but all other athletes will, and most schools will tire of playing the stupid game to be patsies for a few minor league schools. Once it shakes out, the minor league schools will probably end up folding as most non-baseball minor leagues do in the U.S, then return to the old ways.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom