USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I agree that we have seen better times on the Hill, but I have also seen much worse. The walk out on Ben, Crumbling Arch, the push to deemphasis football. Being left behind in the first ACC expansion, two sanctions, Bernie Gate, Grob, having to play in NYC to make ends meet. The diminutive nightmare, Covid and so much more.

Today SU is in much better shape that at many times. The wild west unregulated situation that is dominating collegiate sports is the issue not so much SU. The GOR will in my opinion buy the ACC and with-it SU the time needed for everything to sort itself out. In the end SU will be fine. We might not be in a pay for play league, but we will be where we belong. With like-minded institutions that place academics first.
Its where we should be and where I want us to land.

I agree with a lot here. Although, quite a few of those future "pay for play" schools currently have higher academic ratings than SU. In the end, SU will be where its applicable "seat on the bus" is based upon the only...okay best option it has left.

Just as many of us may wish we could have a seat in a particular hedge fund, etc., however, lack the necessary requirements/means in order to do so. ;):)

I agree with a lot here. Although, quite a few of those future "pay for play" schools currently have higher academic ratings than SU. In the end, SU will be where its applicable "seat on the bus" is based upon the only...okay best option it has left.

Just as many of us may wish we could have a seat in a particular hedge fund, etc., however, lack the necessary requirements/means in order to do so. ;):)
If they close at 40 teams, half the teams will have losing records. It won't take more then 5 or 6 years for most of America to tune out.
A semi pro league isn't attractive enough for the majority of America to tune in.

College athletics is at a crossroads. The NCAA are terrified of more lawsuits and terrified the major conferences are going to break away and take all the money from them. So they are at a stage where almost everything is becoming legal. And their is so much gray area that no one can be punished for cheating (paying players for lesser services). At some point the conferences need to get together and make a standard of rules for everyone to follow. Because right now it is the Wild West and everyone is playing by different rules. Ultimately that will kill the sport. All major sports have rules and it is what keeps the sport fair. Currently this system is like a worse baseball. No salary cap and the top teams get more and more of the best players every year. While their is no draft to supplement and make the lesser teams competitive. Sports are more entertaining when there is parity.
If you want to play a game, there has to be rules. Otherwise it’s no longer a game, it’s just chaos.

Wonder what kind of cut this independent players association would get? Nobody does something for free. Everyone wants their cut. The solution is to tell kids if they expect to get paid, don’t sign an NLI. Go someplace that will pay you.

Interesting speculation about Cuse eventually going back to the Big East.

Brian: As our friend Andy Staples has astutely said on all things realignment: The only limit to any of this is the imagination of a commissioner or president or administrator. It’s foolish to wave off any potential outcome. I’m not inclined to believe Gonzaga is in any rush to change anything. But if I’m the Big East, I’m keeping the lines of communication open, if not red-hot with negotiations. Logistically, I’d imagine adding Gonzaga requires adding another West Coast-ish travel partner to have this make any sense from an athlete-welfare perspective; it doesn’t seem altogether sensible to do this and make teams fly three time zones away and back for one game. Finding said partner is probably one of the easier parts in this pretend (for now) version of reality, though. Money talks.

Here’s where I would really apply the pressure, if anyone in the Big East is inclined to do so: reconnect with some old friends who are absolutely going to be left behind in any Football Megaconference Structure and offer a lifeline. Under those circumstances, does the UConn model look so bad to say … Syracuse, especially? Or Pittsburgh? Or even Boston College? No one is arguing any of them should drop football. That’s a non-starter. But if you’re not playing football in one of the two or three leagues that matters — according to this thought exercise, anyway — why not play your hoops and other sports in a conference that definitely matters and put the gridiron product in the American or Conference USA or some such?

I’d love to say this is entirely my idea, but it’s generated by conversations with people in the sport, so I wonder how many legs it could have.

And also call Duke. Because why not?

Brian: As our friend Andy Staples has astutely said on all things realignment: The only limit to any of this is the imagination of a commissioner or president or administrator. It’s foolish to wave off any potential outcome. I’m not inclined to believe Gonzaga is in any rush to change anything. But if I’m the Big East, I’m keeping the lines of communication open, if not red-hot with negotiations. Logistically, I’d imagine adding Gonzaga requires adding another West Coast-ish travel partner to have this make any sense from an athlete-welfare perspective; it doesn’t seem altogether sensible to do this and make teams fly three time zones away and back for one game. Finding said partner is probably one of the easier parts in this pretend (for now) version of reality, though. Money talks.

Here’s where I would really apply the pressure, if anyone in the Big East is inclined to do so: reconnect with some old friends who are absolutely going to be left behind in any Football Megaconference Structure and offer a lifeline. Under those circumstances, does the UConn model look so bad to say … Syracuse, especially? Or Pittsburgh? Or even Boston College? No one is arguing any of them should drop football. That’s a non-starter. But if you’re not playing football in one of the two or three leagues that matters — according to this thought exercise, anyway — why not play your hoops and other sports in a conference that definitely matters and put the gridiron product in the American or Conference USA or some such?

I’d love to say this is entirely my idea, but it’s generated by conversations with people in the sport, so I wonder how many legs it could have.

Why would the American take us for our Football only?

They'd want the whole deal. Otherwise, UConn would still be playing AAC Football.

Brian Hamilton makes zero sense.

Why would the American take us for our Football only?

They'd want the whole deal. Otherwise, UConn would still be playing AAC Football.
To have a top 40 college sports brand with storied history and an entree into the NY market.

These comments are interesting because the reporter says this is the speculation he’s heard from some college sports people that he’s talked to.

The premise is unlikely. If we end up with a P2 one of them will want a bigger NE footprint than Rutgers. I don’t think we’ll end up with only a P2. There’s enough talent for a P5 to have entertaining football across the country - and that strikes me as ultimately more important than the SEC and B1G.

The Big East mentioned in the article is not the Big East we were apart of.

Keep in mind an entire Summer basketball tournament has revolved around of large passionate fanbase. That translates into $$$$ for subscription services.

The premise is unlikely. If we end up with a P2 one of them will want a bigger NE footprint than Rutgers. I don’t think we’ll end up with only a P2. There’s enough talent for a P5 to have entertaining football across the country - and that strikes me as ultimately more important than the SEC and B1G.

The TV guys know that they need a national game. SU and all of the other schools who are currently in a P5 are going to be ok. We won't be as rich as the other schools, but we never have been. I actually believe that the portal will work in our favor. Kids are not going to go to a factory and sit. We will be fine and with a 12-team playoff we might just sneak in once in a blue moon.

the NE footprint will be Penn St and ND along with Rutgers. That will satiate eyeballs unfortunately.

To me a Big East redux would be fantastic. It'll be funny if everything kinda goes back to what it was in say 1984 where there are bowls alligned with conferences (in this instance most bowls will be aligned with two conferences) and the rest will be in the wilderness absent some incredible undefeated season. See BYU 1984, Syracuse 1988, et al. I think that will be preserved with a 12 game playoff with 9 teams or so coming from two conferences and remainder to the scrap heap.

I love the idea of being back in the Big East for hoops. It's where we should be.

the NE footprint will be Penn St and ND along with Rutgers. That will satiate eyeballs unfortunately.

To me a Big East redux would be fantastic. It'll be funny if everything kinda goes back to what it was in say 1984 where there are bowls alligned with conferences (in this instance most bowls will be aligned with two conferences) and the rest will be in the wilderness absent some incredible undefeated season. See BYU 1984, Syracuse 1988, et al. I think that will be preserved with a 12 game playoff with 9 teams or so coming from two conferences and remainder to the scrap heap.

I love the idea of being back in the Big East for hoops. It's where we should be.
I agree with this and like the following ACC/PAC merger.
Coastal Conference (24)

Eastern

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Miami

Atlantic
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Pacific
Stanford
California
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah
Colorado

Eh - maybe? I think Penn St and ND gets some of the way - but if that's the offering, CFB has decided to abandon all hope of reversing the trend here despite it being a huge market. It's just really unlikely that BC/Syr/Pitt get relegated IMO.

The sooner folks realize that the BE is dead, the better. It's gone and it's not coming back. The ACC is a premiere CBB conference and it's starting to show wear vs the conferences with mega CFB money. The BE is lower yet and the article mentions Gonzaga. That's not our BE.

Coastal Conference (24)

Eastern

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Miami

Atlantic
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Pacific
Stanford
California
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah
Colorado
Actually that would be a good mix West. Virginia and Cincinnati would be back where they both belong.

Coastal Conference (24)

Eastern

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Miami

Atlantic
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Pacific
Stanford
California
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah
Colorado
love how everyone always assumes the 'state' schools in the NW will get dropped in any realignment.

if 1 'state' school is going...so is the other.

Eh - maybe? I think Penn St and ND gets some of the way - but if that's the offering, CFB has decided to abandon all hope of reversing the trend here despite it being a huge market. It's just really unlikely that BC/Syr/Pitt get relegated IMO.

The sooner folks realize that the BE is dead, the better. It's gone and it's not coming back. The ACC is a premiere CBB conference and it's starting to show wear vs the conferences with mega CFB money. The BE is lower yet and the article mentions Gonzaga. That's not our BE.

I'm not saying the removal of football in the northeast i'm just saying at some point the Big 10 isn't going to further eat themselves alive with another northeast team when they already have the ones people tune into.

SU/BC IMO will be fine in the second tier league for football. it's where we should be anyway! We can play in our little sandbox and if we catch 1988 lightening in a bottle, we'll have a shot at taking on the heavyweights again.

My hope is we don't throw the baby out w the bathwater if there is an opportunity to re-establish the big east which made our basketball player hum to begin with. The Big East is what made SU, SU.

I'm not saying the removal of football in the northeast i'm just saying at some point the Big 10 isn't going to further eat themselves alive with another northeast team when they already have the ones people tune into.

SU/BC IMO will be fine in the second tier league for football. it's where we should be anyway! We can play in our little sandbox and if we catch 1988 lightening in a bottle, we'll have a shot at taking on the heavyweights again.

My hope is we don't throw the baby out w the bathwater if there is an opportunity to re-establish the big east which made our basketball player hum to begin with. The Big East is what made SU, SU.
The Big East was at it's best when it was close in $ and tightly regional. Those days are gone.

the Big East stopped being the Big East everyone pines for when it became a 13 team behemoth in the 2nd half of the 90s. more than anything we pine for winning.

love how everyone always assumes the 'state' schools in the NW will get dropped in any realignment.

if 1 'state' school is going...so is the other.
I really don’t see Oregon and Washington going anywhere without Oregon St and Wash St.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom