USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I really don’t see Oregon and Washington going anywhere without Oregon St and Wash St.so tou think that Oregon and UW will not go to the Big 10
I really don’t see Oregon and Washington going anywhere without Oregon St and Wash St.
so you think Oregon and UW will not go to the Big 10 if invited?

It’s not as simplistic as what each individual institution wants to do.
exactly.

and remember everyone...Kaiser's Board Rule #1:

1. The Board is always wrong.

keep leaving them out all, it just cements that 1 isnt going without the other.

its almost as stupid as the idiots who think UNC is tied to dook and wont leave them behind.

exactly.

its almost as stupid as the idiots who think UNC is tied to dook and wont leave them behind.
The VPI Big East scenario is the scenario if the Pac 10 keeps shedding teams - effectively that conference is no longer viable as a major football conference and the teams remaining will be screwed. And that's where it gets political.

The Big 12 / SEC movement has been a little different specific to Texas/A&M and Texas Tech and then OK and Ok St. for 1 major reason - the Big 12 is geographically in a better position to maintain integrity as a power conference by pulling teams up from the G5 - there is more at their disposal. A West Coast conference - there are very limited options at this point if the Pac 12 went down to say 6-7 teams. It's basically cherry picking from the Mountain West now that BYU is off the table. Not a lot of great options there to sell yourself for TV contracts and as a group that should be invited to the main show.

The premise is unlikely. If we end up with a P2 one of them will want a bigger NE footprint than Rutgers. I don’t think we’ll end up with only a P2. There’s enough talent for a P5 to have entertaining football across the country - and that strikes me as ultimately more important than the SEC and B1G.

The Big East mentioned in the article is not the Big East we were apart of.
Yup...I have no desire to play Creighton and Butler. Xavier maybe...what made the BE great was the closeness of rivals. Still don't think it would likely be the same.

Yup...I have no desire to play Creighton and Butler. Xavier maybe...what made the BE great was the closeness of rivals. Still don't think it would likely be the same.
I rule nothing out at this point. there is a tectonic shift of everything college sports going on right now. Insulation can be found for a regional school like Syracuse with other like minded schools who yearn for the past.

I only speak to hoops here. the big east football was a farce and a marraige of convenience. My guess is our football team will always be in a marriage of convenience and not a wanted brand in college football. We will find a home but it'll be an orphanage not the Silver Spoons mansion that is the Big 10

I rule nothing out at this point. there is a tectonic shift of everything college sports going on right now. Insulation can be found for a regional school like Syracuse with other like minded schools who yearn for the past.

I only speak to hoops here. the big east football was a farce and a marraige of convenience. My guess is our football team will always be in a marriage of convenience and not a wanted brand in college football. We will find a home but it'll be an orphanage not the Silver Spoons mansion that is the Big 10
BE football had it's warts but it was our wart infested mess. We were an insider in the league. After a decade we are still an outsider in the ACC.

if Syracuse goes back to the bigeast and down grades football, the Orange will be everything we have just spent a decade laughing at storz for doing.

Cuse graduated from the Big East and is getting a Masters, next stop is a Doctorate, not another undergrad degree.

have some pride people.

The VPI Big East scenario is the scenario if the Pac 10 keeps shedding teams - effectively that conference is no longer viable as a major football conference and the teams remaining will be screwed. And that's where it gets political.

The Big 12 / SEC movement has been a little different specific to Texas/A&M and Texas Tech and then OK and Ok St. for 1 major reason - the Big 12 is geographically in a better position to maintain integrity as a power conference by pulling teams up from the G5 - there is more at their disposal. A West Coast conference - there are very limited options at this point if the Pac 12 went down to say 6-7 teams. It's basically cherry picking from the Mountain West now that BYU is off the table. Not a lot of great options there to sell yourself for TV contracts and as a group that should be invited to the main show.

VPI isn't even close to being similar. For example, Oregon State football is dead. There is no saving it. What Oregon politician would block Oregon from jumping onto a life boat? That would be political suicide. What politician would want to be known as the one blocking Oregon and causing their program to die as well? Good luck getting reelected on that.

The ACC, Big12 and PAC/MWC need to come up with a payout formula with a base of a programs market value and then the rest is distributed based on performance. This would allow the power programs to get closer to P2 money.

exactly.

If it comes down to it UNC wouldn't hesitate to leave Duke behind. However UNC has all the leverage. If they want, they can request Duke to come along as a package. It would be like a 5 star recruit saying I'll only commit if you take my 1 star buddy too. Yes, you waste a roster spot on the 1 star but it is worth it.

Also Duke has a great brand. You don't think ESPN or FOX want that brand in their portfolio? Football is #1, #2, and #3-#28 but BBall does add value. It won't be totally ignored. Didn't we just see a BBall school tag along with USC?

If it comes down to it UNC wouldn't hesitate to leave Duke behind. However UNC has all the leverage. If they want, they can request Duke to come along as a package. It would be like a 5 star recruit saying I'll only commit if you take my 1 star buddy too. Yes, you waste a roster spot on the 1 star but it is worth it.

Also Duke has a great brand. You don't think ESPN or FOX want that brand in their portfolio? Football is #1, #2, and #3-#28 but BBall does add value. It won't be totally ignored. Didn't we just see a BBall school tag along with USC?
wrong wrong wrong.

UNC would be happy to let duke die on the vine.

state v private

UCLA is also a state school that plays football at a pretty high level. the USC-UCLA football game is always a pretty big to do.

much bigger than dook v unc football and even hoop.

plus that locks up the LA market.

nobody is clamoring for the durham market.

your oregon st take was solid.

The PAC needs to raid 6 of the bevo, not the other way around.

it may not be an even 4 x 16, but it will be 4.

wrong wrong wrong.

UNC would be happy to let duke die on the vine.

state v private

UCLA is also a state school that plays football at a pretty high level. the USC-UCLA football game is always a pretty big to do.

much bigger than dook v unc football and even hoop.

plus that locks up the LA market.

nobody is clamoring for the durham market.

your oregon st take was solid.

it may not be an even 4 x 16, but it will be 4.

If they would be happy to let Duke die, then Duke will die. IMO UNC rather play Duke 2x a year within conference (multiple sports too) vs playing one game in December like we do with Georgetown. It would kill the rivalry. If UNC doesn't give a damn, Duke is on life support.

I don't think the ACC, B12, nor P12 are strong enough to raid each other. The money won't be there. Why would a P12 school leave for the ACC or B12 if they are only getting a few dollars more? Sure you leave for a fist full of dollars, but that won't happen. Same can be said for a B12 school being courted by the P12 or ACC. I think the P12 stays at 10. There is no incentive to go bigger.

if Syracuse goes back to the bigeast and down grades football, the Orange will be everything we have just spent a decade laughing at storz for doing.

Cuse graduated from the Big East and is getting a Masters, next stop is a Doctorate, not another undergrad degree.

have some pride people.
We need more alumni from within 6 hours of the campus to make a game or two a season...

There are few dedicated alumni that are willing to get season tickets that live more than 75 mins from Cuse. And when I say get them...that means you make most of the games too.

Everybody knows that Oregon, UW and Stanford are just waiting for their B1G invitation. Why would the Big12 teams scuttle the Big12 just to be stuck in a emasculated PAC they leave?

Last edited:
Looks like Miami hasn't been contacted per this reporter who is tied in with the South Florida Market

We need more alumni from within 6 hours of the campus to make a game or two a season...

There are few dedicated alumni that are willing to get season tickets that live more than 75 mins from Cuse. And when I say get them...that means you make most of the games too.

The line starts at 6 hours, gets pretty sparse inside of that.

Looks like Miami hasn't been contacted per this reporter who is tied in with the South Florida Market
The B1G knows the SEC will act to protect Florida for themselves. Just gamesmanship to get the programs they are really after, UNC and UVA. SEC is too smart for that. This isn't doing the ACC any good.

Duke adds nothing. Just like Kansas adds nothing. These moves are about TV markets.

And UCLA isn’t just a basketball school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom