USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

With ESPN as a partner in the GOR, they have a major day in either expansion or dissolution. If the ACC can be divided between the SEC and B1G with ESPN getting sufficient live games (i.e. a portion of B1G games?) Then things can be worked out. The question then becomes who goes where,

Alternatively, ESPN can broker a deal wherein the ACC and SEC merge into one conference, instant 30 team conference. ND may join with a friend, or not The main issue here is academics but it appears that academics is being cast aside at universities.

I think most ACC schools would prefer to be aligned with the B1G than with the SEC, which is the major sticking point as ESPN holds the ACC rights.

No bubble is popping though and there is no evidence of anything slowing down. You may believe it will but there is no evidence on your side to support that. And people may complain about rates going up but they still pay them. And if they don't, these networks when they buy now still put sports on their streaming platform.

Pretty much any ESPN game you can watch on your cable box or ESPN+. Same with Peacock games and CBS and Paramount + is now doing the same. Sports leagues are winning and breaking the bank.

Sports programing is the only thing keeping cable companies alive right now. Every other type of show you can watch on-demand. You name it, drama, comedy, reality TV, doesn't matter. Sports is on-demand proof and it will always be!

some people who don't feel like haggling pay the increase but not everyone. You play the game game with the tv and streaming companies as one promo expires you switch to another that is cheaper and has the same channels you watch. Cable boxes are a waste that more people should get rid of as most cable companies have apps that you can download to a smart tv or xbox and save the $10 a month charge. Anything on streaming is on demand capable now, your just forced to pay extra for dvr to avoid watching commercials

You want ND to turn down playing in a coast to coast conference with Southern Cal as a member, with a payout of $120 million a year per school...for what, exactly?

No other school in America would turn that down to be stuck in a Tier Two conference with half the payout.

None. You want ND to give up independence. You just want them to join your league.

You want ND to do that, why? So Syracuse and the ACC are "saved" from themselves and make a little more lucre?

That seems to be "whoring", too.
Have you heard anything regarding ND and the BIG? According to a connected member of the board I read, ND and Clemson are conversing about joining the BIG. Nothing may come about but he says conversations are absolutely happening.

I am reading a lot of posts in this thread stating..."The ACC has to do this..." or "The ACC has to be proactive and make a move..."

Let's be clear, the ACC is dead!

Like it's over, some just don't realize it yet. There are two power players here they are FOX (Big 10) and ESPN (SEC). They are calling the shots. Since FOX is also involved with the PAC 12, they are making those moves on that side setting up their slice of the world. Since ESPN is involved with the ACC they will make moves on that side with the SEC.

It's now about WHEN (not if) ESPN and the SEC get together to make a play to move certain ACC schools to the SEC. They could do something soon to counter-act what the Big 10 just did. Or they may slow walk this and wait a few months or a year or so.

But there is NOTHING, again NOTHING, the ACC can do to save itself.

The GOR is worthless (I heard a lawyer on Sirius radio the other day said that could be beaten in court easily)

ND won't join and even if they did, what stops them from just leaving eventually.

Texas/Oklahoma moving to the SEC was "CHECK"...USC/UCLA going to the Big 10 was "CHECKMATE"

Game is over. We are in a Two Conference world. It's just about how they divide up the players from here on out and who gets a seat at the table, and who doesn't.
bridge jumping GIF

I am reading a lot of posts in this thread stating..."The ACC has to do this..." or "The ACC has to be proactive and make a move..."

Let's be clear, the ACC is dead!

Like it's over, some just don't realize it yet. There are two power players here they are FOX (Big 10) and ESPN (SEC). They are calling the shots. Since FOX is also involved with the PAC 12, they are making those moves on that side setting up their slice of the world. Since ESPN is involved with the ACC they will make moves on that side with the SEC.

It's now about WHEN (not if) ESPN and the SEC get together to make a play to move certain ACC schools to the SEC. They could do something soon to counter-act what the Big 10 just did. Or they may slow walk this and wait a few months or a year or so.

But there is NOTHING, again NOTHING, the ACC can do to save itself.

The GOR is worthless (I heard a lawyer on Sirius radio the other day said that could be beaten in court easily)

ND won't join and even if they did, what stops them from just leaving eventually.

Texas/Oklahoma moving to the SEC was "CHECK"...USC/UCLA going to the Big 10 was "CHECKMATE"

Game is over. We are in a Two Conference world. It's just about how they divide up the players from here on out and who gets a seat at the table, and who doesn't.
there will be a 2nd level most likely of which the acc will exist in some fashion depending on how many teams take the money vs staying with historical rivals. The acc is both helped and hurt by the GOR as it will keep enough of the teams from leaving but it is also hindering the acc being able to do anything significant without ND making a decision. USC and UCLA going to the BIGTEN does nothing except kill the PAC 12 unless ND joins them

What if the Big 12 and ACC were to merge? I feel like they should definitely look at this, don’t wait for SEC and Big Ten to pick off members, make your own mega conference first.

So basically what I gather is our ship (the old Big East) was taking on water so we bailed to a life boat (the ACC). But now we are adrift in the middle of the pacific and the life bat is sinking. Does that sum it up?

So basically what I gather is our ship (the old Big East) was taking on water so we bailed to a life boat (the ACC). But now we are adrift in the middle of the pacific and the life bat is sinking. Does that sum it up?
id say mechanical failure but still able to move from place to place

One problem - ND isn’t joining that conference.

I think what would have to happen is for the ACC to go national and pick up the best available programs. If Oregon/Or St and Wash/Wash St are joined at the hip as it seems, then maybe that’s an opportunity packaged with Arizona/ASU as well. Then pickup the quality B12 programs as well. You could go to 24 with 4 6 team pods or 32 with 4 8 tram pods - NE, SE, Midwest, West. That’s the only thing possible to allow the ACC to be at the Big Boy table long-term.

This structure allows for further proactive expansion too.

This.

ND doesn’t seem at all interested in joining the ACC.

Become a “Coastal Conference” and go super league with west coast teams.

IMO, that’s the only way the ACC has a chance at survival. If they stand pat, it’s only a matter of time before Clemson & FSU bite the bullet for the SEC and then the league is game over.

Agreed. I would think that there's some appendix to the GOR that frames the process around identifying, approving and then onboarding the new schools to the conference including "shares eligibility ". There would be no need to open the GOR itself. To me the question would be adding an addendum framing additional penalties for the newly expanded conference in that expand scenario as you would not want to for example bring in a Arizona and Utah and then have them bolt to the Big if offered.
To me the biggest question is whether ESPN would view the ACC expanding with additional schools as a viable enough expansion to warrant a bump in dollars or does ESPN hold their dollars for the SEC who ultimately will continue expanding?
Espn is smart. If they put all of their eggs in the SEC what happens if Amazon outbids them down the line.

They own the top and 3rd best properties.

They will strengthen the ACC just enough to keep the in play.

This.

IMO, that’s the only way the ACC has a chance at survival. If they stand pat, it’s only a matter of time before Clemson & FSU bite the bullet for the SEC and then the league is game over.
I think its more of a matter of time before the sec allows them to join vs the other way around

Lots of neutral site games in Denver?
I would expect neutral site games to be in Las Vegas.
If.ND goes.to the B1G, they will still want something close to their present scheduling format:

Navy
USC
Stanford
Five East Coast teams
Two Middle-America games
One Southern game
One open game

This is not 100%fixed, just a general.plan,. but it is a good guideline of what they do and why the aligned with the ACC. It would not be surprising to see if they worked out a plan to bring g some friends and "helped" other friends into a soft landing (a.k.a. voluntarily dissolve the ACC, split between the B1G and SEC, probably with a few left overs) which would ensure ND continues their historical scheduling and student (NOT football).recruiting.

Penn State and UMD would likely back this for a few more Eastern rivalries.
I agree with you; ND gets added schedule flexibility ti maintain their national brand

BIG 10 (24)
Penn St
Rutgers
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
Georgia Tech

Ohio St
Michigan
Notre Dame
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue

Michigan St
Wisconsin
Illinois
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska

UCLA
USC
California
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

I
This.

I agree with this. Be the designated #3 conference of 20-24 teams that "just missed" the top 2 cut. Still offers you high level football and a theoretical pathway to a national title.

Teams like Virginia Tech, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, WVU, Cal...good solid national programs. Ideally Clemson and Oregon (which could help the conference feel less like "also rans"), but they may bail. Boise State can be in the mix. Whatever. But I think the ACC needs to be proactive.

Couple things

1- ESPN needs to be proactive. ACC is clearly the third best conference. Yes there is a sizable gap between 2-3 but ESPN needs content. They can’t allow ACC teams to go to the BIG for that reason. There baby is the SEC. That is clear. But now after this move, ESPN has to protect the number 3 conference especially with the PAC and Big 12 becoming so much weaker and they are not full ESPN.

2- you don’t just add teams to add teams. TCU and Kansas state bring 0 value what do ever. Houston and UCF are big time sleeping giants. Massive enrollments in very large cities. UCF doesn’t make sense for ACC because of Miami and FSU. But a Baylor Houston would make a lot of sense.

3- Big 12- UCF, Houston, Baylor, BYU, Kansas, Oklahoma st, and WV add value imo.

4- PAC- Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Arizona st, Arizona, cal, Stanford.

Couple things

1- ESPN needs to be proactive. ACC is clearly the third best conference. Yes there is a sizable gap between 2-3 but ESPN needs content. They can’t allow ACC teams to go to the BIG for that reason. There baby is the SEC. That is clear. But now after this move, ESPN has to protect the number 3 conference especially with the PAC and Big 12 becoming so much weaker and they are not full ESPN.

2- you don’t just add teams to add teams. TCU and Kansas state bring 0 value what do ever. Houston and UCF are big time sleeping giants. Massive enrollments in very large cities. UCF doesn’t make sense for ACC because of Miami and FSU. But a Baylor Houston would make a lot of sense.

3- Big 12- UCF, Houston, Baylor, BYU, Kansas, Oklahoma st, and WV add value imo.

4- PAC- Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Arizona st, Arizona, cal, Stanford.

I think the ACC's next play should be adding quality teams, with markets if possible.

IF Oregon and Washington are avail, you def grab them. I suspect they won't be.

Otherwise, of the above, I'd like to see Baylor (market, solid team), the two Zona schools (although i wonder it if ASUs academic profile may be a barrier), and Stanford added. That would get the conf to 18. Next two if they want to go all the way to 20 would be Colorado and WVU.

I think the ACC's next play should be adding quality teams, with markets if possible.

Otherwise, of the above, I'd like to see Baylor (market, solid team), the two Zona schools (although i wonder it if ASUs academic profile may be a barrier), and Stanford added. That would get the conf to 18. Next two if they want to go all the way to 20 would be Colorado and WVU.

Playing around w this...

ACC East
BC
Syracuse
Miami
Duke
Wake
NC State
UNC

ACC Central
Clemson
GT
VT
VA
FSU
Louisville
Pitt

ACC West
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
ASU
Stanford
Baylor
Colorado

Next teams up are probably Boise State, Houston, Cal, Utah, Kansas

Play your “division” yearly. Play 3 non divisions. You will host some opponents like once a decade

Last edited:

Baylor doesn't bring any market. They're maybe 6th at best in TX. Outside of alums, no one cares about them. Colorado brings much more than they do.

You want ND to turn down playing in a coast to coast conference with Southern Cal as a member, with a payout of $120 million a year per school...for what, exactly?

No other school in America would turn that down to be stuck in a Tier Two conference with half the payout.

None. You want ND to give up independence. You just want them to join your league.

You want ND to do that, why? So Syracuse and the ACC are "saved" from themselves and make a little more lucre?

That seems to be "whoring", too.
At some point the money aspect becomes irrelevant. It's about access to opponents and postseason.

And yes, go pound sand.

I

I agree with this. Be the designated #3 conference of 20-24 teams that "just missed" the top 2 cut. Still offers you high level football and a theoretical pathway to a national title.

Teams like Virginia Tech, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, WVU, Cal...good solid national programs. Ideally Clemson and Oregon (which could help the conference feel less like "also rans"), but they may bail. Boise State can be in the mix. Whatever. But I think the ACC needs to be proactive.

You’d have decent name recognition in the middle/lower class of the conference and if the top of the conference can consistently be Clemson, Oregon, FSU, Miami, Washington etc., with UNC, VT types making a jump.. the conference could survive and be quite respectable on the national level as the 3rd conference behind the SEC/B1G, that once in a while may have years where they challenge those two conferences for “best super league”

I doubt this happens. I have zero confidence the league will be pro-active and even less confidence they can hold onto Clemson and Florida State, but we shall see…

Personally I think the 64 team super conference model is what will ultimately be best for college sports (and also would be the most lucrative) 48 would be ok but you’d be leaving out some major players in the basketball arena. I know football drives the bus, but the money generated from March madness cannot be overlooked. At 64 you could keep regional interest and in theory all will have a shot at an NC or at least a football Final Four. Of course I know this is the only scenario in which SU will make the cut so I am biased.

I amend my earlier post to say if the Pac-12 is gonna die anyway ACC should try and get the Arizona, Oregon, and wash schools plus Stanford and Cal. That makes 8. West pod. Colorado and Utah join the Big 12 to die later anyway.

To a degree, I think the distances are being overblown a bit. It isn't like they will be playing in P'way every week. In addition, Rutgers teams will have to fly to LA as well (assuming their driver can find his way to Newark).

I'm sure there will be other western teams added and perhaps divisions. Flights to the Midwest won't be easy, although they will mostly be direct flights from LA. They might end up rarely playing in NJ depending upon how things unfold.

It isn't like Syracuse non-revenue teams have had to play all their games within easy distances either in our past two conferences; Miami, Talahassee, South Florida, Milwaukee, Chicago, Louisville. The flights from LA might take an hour or two longer but once butts have to be on airplanes, it starts to become rather relative. Even our basketball team doesn't always come back to Syracuse between southern games.
It's not just Rutgers but also UMD and PSU that will have to make the trip to the West coast.

This move is all about Football and Basketball. Might as well just do away with the non-revenue sports and make them club sports instead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom