USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Wait, ND fans talked themselves into a conference and then the ND admin decided not to join

Lolz
Apparently, old dodgy Swofford had the agreement written so that even tho Notre Dame isn't an ACC member in football, they would still have to pay the full membership GOR if they want to join another conference. Which is being stated as in the neighborhood of $500 hundred million dollars.

Wait, ND fans talked themselves into a conference and then the ND admin decided not to join

Lolz
My link was from 1999.
Showing that Notre Dame strung the Big Ten around and we were actually one of the next teams in the line at that point.

Notre Dame is going to end up in the Big Ten this time unless they decide to join the SEC which would be a very ND move.

They are going to extract as much of the status quo they can from the ACC and then leave another conference for their best interests.

We let these fleas into our conference and didn’t realize they are always about themselves and not being a true partner.
The ND fans that troll our board epitomize why it’s the worst fanbase in college sports.

I don’t want them to bail my school out I just want them to realize their chit does stink and make a damn decision if you want football independence be independent in everything and get the bleep out.

ND, Stanford, North carolina, and one of Florida State or Miami to the Big Ten is my prediction.

ESPN will want to hold onto North Carolina.
That is where the SEC and Big Ten next battle really is. Over UNC.

UNC can likely leverage one partner from both conferences.

USC and UCLA IMO don’t want Oregon/Washington they want to get away from them. USC kinda resents Oregon in an old money vs new money type of country club feud.

USC and UCLA likely want Stanford and Cal only from the Pac-12.
We shall see but the SEC is only going to do what ESPN wants.

Big Ten wants Notre Dame and will do whatever gets them.

Adapt or die.

I have a friend who is very well connected with Utah sports and media , he tells me that belief is around the athletic department expect the Big 12 to raid the PAC 12 before end of summer probably 4 schools . Meetings will be happening as soon as this week. I don’t know how iron clad that GOR is for ACC But the conference better think outside the box quick or it will die. The Big12 starts to expand it will make it harder to poach whoever the SEC and Big 10 don’t take. I hope enough Acc schools find a way to get taken that the GOR gets dissolved and we by some miracle get a life raft out of the ACC. Best case is Big 10 and Sec got to 24 and we sneak in.

Adapt or die.

I have a friend who is very well connected with Utah sports and media , he tells me that belief is around the athletic department expect the Big 12 to raid the PAC 12 before end of summer probably 4 schools . Meetings will be happening as soon as this week. I don’t know how iron clad that GOR is for ACC But the conference better think outside the box quick or it will die. The Big12 starts to expand it will make it harder to poach whoever the SEC and Big 10 don’t take. I hope enough Acc schools find a way to get taken that the GOR gets dissolved and we by some miracle get a life raft out of the ACC. Best case is Big 10 and Sec got to 24 and we sneak in.
Does the ACC really have any control over the conference, or do they do what ESPN tells them to do?

Adapt or die.

and the news i heard now is 4-5 pac 12 teams like ASU ASU st col to go to pac 12 is coming soon.

Does the ACC really have any control over the conference, or do they do what ESPN tells them to do?
Swofford screwed the ACC to help his son, and now we're in a situation where we can't do anything.
With The GOR which ESPN forced upon the ACC through Swofford we're on the Titanic with no lifeboats.

• Love
Reactions: gbo
Swofford screwed the ACC to help his son, and now we're in a situation where we can't do anything.
With The GOR which ESPN forced upon the ACC through Swofford we're on the Titanic with no lifeboats.
They can add more teams and see if ESPN comes up with more cash, if not shop the conference around. There are some big money companies who could pay more and would want the product.

My link was from 1999.
Showing that Notre Dame strung the Big Ten around and we were actually one of the next teams in the line at that point.

Notre Dame is going to end up in the Big Ten this time unless they decide to join the SEC which would be a very ND move.

They are going to extract as much of the status quo they can from the ACC and then leave another conference for their best interests.

We let these fleas into our conference and didn’t realize they are always about themselves and not being a true partner.
The ND fans that troll our board epitomize why it’s the worst fanbase in college sports.

I don’t want them to bail my school out I just want them to realize their chit does stink and make a damn decision if you want football independence be independent in everything and get the bleep out.

ND, Stanford, North carolina, and one of Florida State or Miami to the Big Ten is my prediction.

USC and UCLA IMO don’t want Oregon/Washington they want to get away from them. USC kinda resents Oregon in an old money vs new money type of country club feud.

Ahh - showing that I didn’t read the article. Perused and assumed.

Agree with the rest

They can add more teams and see if ESPN comes up with more cash, if not shop the conference around. There are some big money companies who could pay more and would want the product.
ESPN has the rights until 2036, so we're out of luck.

My link was from 1999.

Alsacs, I wonder if this time is just a bit different for Notre Dame. What if ND worked with Jim Phillips and the ACC to grab five teams to get to 20. Bi coastal P(ACC) League. Split into four pods of five, play nine league games and rotate through the pods. Something would have to be done to ensure that the Irish play 1-2 games on the West Coast annually. Maybe a neutral site game at SoFi Stadium.

Approach Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Arizona State about being the Western Pod/Flank. I sense that Cal might be necessary to grab Stanford, but if not, think about Colorado, Utah or Arizona. Locks down the Bay Area and gains serious traction in Phoenix. The Bay Area and Phoenix-Glendale are two of the top 10 Metro Areas in the USA.

That would certainly open up the ESPN deal to be renegotiated. And real progress could be made in closing not only the annual revenue disparity between the B10 and SEC, but also the duration of the deal.

Why isn’t this better for ND than joining the B10?

In this case, ND saves face (“we will never join the B10 as we are not a cultural fit”) and reinforces its (perhaps fake) stance that it was never about the money. And they are viewed as a leader and not a follower. Plus they get to play from coast to coast and cohabitate with a large number of private school brethren.

Lastly, they’d be on the right side of history as the school that injected a dose an sanity into the game of greed-based Risk being played by schools ADs/Presidents/Boosters.

Alsacs, I wonder if this time is just a bit different for Notre Dame. What if ND worked with Jim Phillips and the ACC to grab five teams to get to 20. Bi coastal P(ACC) League. Split into four pods of five, play nine league games and rotate through the pods. Something would have to be done to ensure that the Irish play 1-2 games on the West Coast annually. Maybe a neutral site game at SoFi Stadium.

Approach Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Arizona State about being the Western Pod/Flank. I sense that Cal might be necessary to grab Stanford, but if not, think about Colorado, Utah or Arizona. Locks down the Bay Area and gains serious traction in Phoenix. The Bay Area and Phoenix-Glendale are two of the top 10 Metro Areas in the USA.

That would certainly open up the ESPN deal to be renegotiated. And real progress could be made in closing not only the annual revenue disparity between the B10 and SEC, but also the duration of the deal.

In this case, ND saves face (“we will never join the B10 as we are not a cultural fit”) and reinforces its (perhaps fake) stance that it was never about the money. And they are viewed as a leader and not a follower. Plus they get to play from coast to coast and cohabitate with a large number of private school brethren.

Lastly, they’d be on the right side of history as the school that injected a dose an sanity into the game of greed-based Risk being played by schools ADs/Presidents/Boosters.
Phillips and ND admin have a strained relationship. The whole playoff debacle really put a wedge between the two parties. Not going to say who was right or wrong, but that is what I have heard.

Terry and ND fans will say why if we are giving up our independence should we not take the biggest paycheck available.

Aka join the Big Ten.

It’s why ND is a parasite and is the worst.
They don’t value partnership they think they are above it and keep getting their way.
Why because they know in the end they will take the paycheck from the Big Ten but don’t want to do it until they are forced too.

It’s why the other conferences shouldn’t have allowed ND the status quo. Make them join the Big Ten. They don’t want to then they will join another conference but don’t give them what they have now.

The ACC could survive if ND committed full time. They won’t and nor do I expect them too. They are what I have said the whole time a parasite who wants the status quo.

The 14 ACC schools are going to get carved up. Some to the Big Ten, some to the SEC and the rest will be a new Big East football conference circa post Miami.

Not as good as the power conferences but better than the mid majors.

We have neglected football for far too long.
It’s our own fault.

We have been getting ACC checks since 2013 and where was investment in football right away? It took years to get charter planes, increase the recruiting budget.

We went cheap with Shafer, and took the paychecks.

I like Dino but keeping him was a total cheap maneuver.

We aren’t serious about football so we can’t complain we are going to go down a peg.

It’s looking like 4 Pac-12 teams Arizona/Arizona State/Utah/Colorado will look at the 12 Big 12 school for a 16 team league.

Washington and Oregon are really the ones to watch.
I don’t think they are locks for the Big Ten. Stanford and Cal make way more sense.

ESPN has the rights until 2036, so we're out of luck.
IMO, the ACC contract is undervalued and ESPN wants to keep it like that to force the high value teams to exit into the SEC which will save ESPN a lot of money. ESPN is supposed to have look ins at the ACC contract, but the ACC has no leverage there, it's up to the discretion of ESPN. If they expanded the league, then ESPN would be forced to come up with a new deal and if the ACC didn't feel it was adequate, they could go on the open market where many companies would want that content.

Phillips and ND admin have a strained relationship. The whole playoff debacle really put a wedge between the two parties. Not going to say who was right or wrong, but that is what I have heard.
LOL
Playoff debacle? Lol your AD and the SEC commissioner wanted expansion without the rights going on the open market and knew OU/UT were joining the SEC.

The ACC just wanted to slow the process down because he saw what it was.
ND and the SEC looking out for themselves.

You ND guys are unbelievable.

LOL
Playoff debacle? Lol your AD and the SEC commissioner wanted expansion without the rights going on the open market and knew OU/UT were joining the SEC.

The ACC just wanted to slow the process down because he saw what it was.
ND and the SEC looking out for themselves.

You ND guys are unbelievable.
What Phillips didn't see was that by denying the SEC and B1G the expanded playoff they wanted they would have a strong motive to kill off the ACC and PAC 12. Wonder if Swofford would have been more astute.

I don’t hate ND- everyone would be doing the same thing if they had their catchet. Power to ‘em.
In 2O13 I was a wreck trying to figure out where SU would fit in this brand new world, where we would go/end up, etc. Today I find myself oddly at peace with the whole thing. Im getting that familiar resigned feeling I had when I first decided to withdraw from baseball. I still love my Mets, but stopped watching or caring about MLB. That’s how I’m starting to feel about college sports.
Slowly but surely, they’re smothering the fan out of me. I’ll always love all-things SU, but I’m afraid I’m falling out of love w/ college sports. And i don’t like the feeling.
Hey Bombay -
It’s a great season to start following the Mets again !
LGM

What Phillips didn't see was that by denying the SEC and B1G the expanded playoff they wanted they would have a strong motive to kill off the ACC and PAC 12. Wonder if Swofford would have been more astute.
The Big Ten loved slowing down the process.
They want Fox to get a piece of the CFB playoffs.

ESPN was going to get the expansion as they owned the rights for the original 12 years.
This was what they wanted and they had the SEC doing their bidding.

The Big ten wants expansion but wanted to restrict the amount of SEC teams eligible and wanted the rights to go on the market.
Plus the Big Ten wasn’t aware of Oklahoma/Texas to the SEC was in the cards.

Notre Dame was all about themselves as usual.

This action by the ACC actually showed some stones. The conference is screwed because of Swofford. Not Phillips.

The Big Ten vs. SEC is really Fox vs. ESPN and we are an afterthought.

Definitely made ND realize that the ACC and us were not on the same page. This has been in motion a while and I believe for us it started in earnest when the ACC said no to expansion. We saw it as the ACC trying to force our hand into the conference.

Definitely made ND realize that the ACC and us were not on the same page. This has been in motion a while and I believe for us it started in earnest when the ACC said no to expansion. We saw it as the ACC trying to force our hand into the conference.
Then when are you going to get to steppin'?

Then when are you going to get to steppin'?
We will see if we do leave. But no matter what it is a temp marriage and we will part ways near 2036. It has served it's purpose and I believe we have reached a point of impasse that cannot be fixed.

We will see if we do leave. But no matter what it is a temp marriage and we will part ways near 2036. It has served it's purpose and I believe we have reached a point of impasse that cannot be fixed.
Half a billion is enough to even stop Notre Dame, I guess.

Do everyone a favor and leave now, would just as soon cancel this year's game.
I would love to and believe it could happen, but don't want to jinx it. I hope the ACC finds success though, no matter what. It is a good conference.

Adapt or die.

ACC needs to beat the Big 12 to this. We have the academic prestige that the Big 12 can’t touch, and that’s the other thing that school Presidents care most about.

Do everyone a favor and leave now, would just as soon cancel this year's game.
If I were him and TerryD, I wouldn't be looking forward to much favorable officiating for the next 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom